Find
Notify
Tools

Another Accubond report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted
I shot a cow elk Saturday, 420yds. The 180 gr Accubond from My 300Win. entered behind the last rib on her left side, It stopped just under the skin on the lower left shoulder, did not hit any big bones, took out the liver heart and lungs. It weighs 140grs and is a classic mushroom. She walked about 20yds and dropped..I am pleased.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Sounds great!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the 160 in my 7 mag. Clean pass through in the high shoulder at 75 yards. Rolled right down the mountain.

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This bullet has performed great for me as well from deer to moose to bear,like it alot .

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How dare you contradict all the nay sayers who heard from their buddies uncle that polymer tipped bullets are vermint bullets Wink

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are if not of bonded construction. hammering

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
First, congrat's on a succesful meat hunt!

To the bullet... they retained 78% weight, but at 420 yards broadside without hitting bone? A Ballistic Tip would have worked well. What would the results be on a bad angle at fifty yards on a big bull at near max velocity? I remain unconvinced about the AB.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I doubt a BT would have penetrated the almost 2ft. the AB did. I have used BT's on Mulies and have had miserable luck, big holes with very little penetration on almost identical shots. I don't want to flame anyone but IMHO the BT is not an elk bullet.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Elk, I've got a few bud's that have used the BTips and had complete penetration... I shouldn't, however, have entered that bullet into the conversation as I believe it distracted from the main point I was making... I'm just not a believer in the AB... yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot 3 animals this year with 160 AB's from a 7mag. On a 5 pt whitetail buck it entered the front shoulder and exited all the way through near the rear hip. Heavy bone on a good size animal. There is no elk alive that that bullet wouldn't have penetrated deep inside for a kill shot.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

I have the answer to your exact question right here:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tp.../733100941#733100941

Also, if you go to http://www.noslerreloading.com and go into thier photo album you can see this bullet again, but more importantly you can see my brother in law's bullet...180 grain Accubond with a muzzle velocity of 3400 fps that hit a 5x5 bull right in the spine at 70 yards.

Made a believer out of me...enough that I used them again this year and when I get a chance I will post a picture of the 200 grain Accubond I took my elk with this year. It took out approximately one foot of spine and continued on into some muscle. Bullet is a perfect mushroom and weighs.........60%.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
300, one member posted pic's of a muley hit in the shoulder with the 180 AB... didn't penetrate more than a few inches and the bullet was a mess... there's been enough reports like this that, for now, I'll stick with a genuine premium with a proven track record.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, you shoot Partition's. Can't go wrong with that either Wink

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with a Partition. I've become partial to the TSX... here's one from this years elk, 168 grains before, 168 after:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking bullet. Is that out of a .300 Winnie? Tell me about your load info. With bullets that look like that, I might be inclined to look at something different. Cool

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Hi 300, it's from a 21" bbl'd 30-06 at 2,850... here's the bull:

Were I running the TSX's in a 300 Win I'd be inclined to use the 180.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you liked Brads bullet picture try this one of a 180gr tsx that passed through the spine of an elk after being launched from a 300ultramag at 3380fps.The remaining weight is 160gr.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

Nice bull.

Stubblejumper,

That is plain impressive...and you were an Accubond fan before that if I remember right.

Keep going, you might just sell me into those things. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually,prior to trying the tsx,I killed 8 elk and 2 moose with the 180gr ballistic tip.I couldn't get the accubonds to shoot accurately in my guns,but the tsx is averaging 5/8" in both 300ultramags.From now on,I will be using the tsx exclusively in my 300ultramags.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Federal .270 Accubond in 140gr this year. I took two blacktail deer and recovered a bullet from the first buck, he took a shoulder shot at 148 yards and the bullet settled under the hide on the opposite side. The second buck passed through the lungs at 180 yards leaving a great blood trail, he went about 25 yards.

My Remington ADL seems to put three shots into just around an inch every time. Shot a box of them before hunting season. Now I think I'll go back to my .300 weatherby for a while...

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd post a picture of the 225 gr. North Fork that broke both shoulders of my bull from this past fall but I think it may still be going Big Grin

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've recovered 4 Accubonds (225g 338's and 260g 375's), from 2 bulls, 2 mulies. All died but these were shot from a 330 Dakota/375 Whelen AI at relatively short range and did not exit, retained in the ball part of 60-70%. I'm switching to TSX's for elk next year. I want an exit wound, esp on elk, in the off chance that the shot isn't optimal.

Good bull Brad.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote