THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    hmmm...NEW Leupold big game scope- the Eclipse (pic)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hmmm...NEW Leupold big game scope- the Eclipse (pic)
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Hi all,

Looks kinda odd. I think the idea is to lower 50mm scope by about .2" or so closer to the barrel over the std. 40mm ones. It might lower weight a little.

Wouldn't that cut out "area" actually somewhat cancel the 50mm scope's purpose of greater light transmission to the eye? The design may also not be as rugged...

At first glance, I think that this is mainly a marketing ploy to differentiate their scopes from increasing competition without adding real value. The perception of value may be enough, but please enlighten me as to what that may be?

Do you think they have something useful or not?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I predict that it will get as far as a car with 4 flat tires

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not!

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianLefty:
Do you think they have something useful or not?

large od scopes aren't my thing, but for those who have use for them, I don't think this idea is so bad.

getting the scope lower will make it easier to shoot.

As far as losing optical qualities, put a piece of tape on a 32mm objective scope so it blocks a similar proportion and take a look through it. I doubt if it will degrade performance much if at all.

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
"The Eclipse"... that's funny.

Like free_miner I've no use for a 50 mm objective let alone one that looks like it was dropped. Wonder too what sorta cover will work on that thing? Me thinks some marketing guy and engineer had way too much time on their hands!

I am thankful not to see a laser engraved bounding deer on the side!

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad, the laser engraving is optional for an extra $19.99 but can only be had with the words "Tactical" or "Amazing Hunter". Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hummmmm
interesting, very interesting

But since I don't use big OD scopes I don't think I will be parting with any of my cash for one of those.

Give me a 1.75-6 or 2.5-8 and I am happy.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I want the one with the adjustable objective on the front. It has the new "flex lens" installed.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
thumbdown

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Seems like another answer to a question the wasn't (or shouldn't) have been asked.

Maybe it is the result of a minor military contract and they made enough to test the commercial market?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianLefty:
Brad, the laser engraving is optional for an extra $19.99 but can only be had with the words "Tactical" or "Amazing Hunter". Eeker

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
looks like a dent in the scope....funny!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Looks like a dented POS to me

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
POS? C'mon guys, they'll sell three or four of em!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can hit things fast in very low light with an M-84x. Besides increased sales, what's the point?

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am just wandering if the CEO of Leupold is aware of this monstrosity in his company's product portfolio.

If it was done whilst he was on vacation I can still understand. If he approved the money spent on R&R and the product launch I am flabergasted.

Why not improve the lenses to beat the Germans and Austrians?

Chris

Posts: 656 | Location: RSA | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
This scope is part of the new Leupold niche market program!

They have started with this one; it is especially designed for the Savage 110/10 series rifles. It matches their looks, and can double as a barrel nut wrench!

sofa

Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is without a doubt the most ridiculous looking scope that I have ever seen.If I was running the design department at leupold,everyone would be taking drug tests.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leupold will probably be laughing "with us" all the way to the bank. It's goofy looking to be sure, but name the last time Leupold stepped in it big time...

Manufacturers are outfitting a new generation of riflemen...okay, rifleshooters...well, rifleowners, who think they need >3000 ft lbs, a banjo string trajectory, a 50mm moonscope, and a laser rangfinder to harvest the average farm country whitetail 200 yards distant 29 minutes before sunrise. Never underestimate what will sell to the cash rich but wisdom poor newby.

Leupold is at least trying to address one of the problems created by the Hubble-sized objective lenses - they are letting folks get the scope back down on the deck where it belongs. I'm just surprised the marketeers didn't use shorter mounts for their photo; they could go at least two tenths lower... Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a joke, right? Here's my opinion! jumping Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the old Redfield widefield the answer to the same question 40 years ago?

How do you mount the sunshield on it?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12590 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Wasn't the old Redfield widefield the answer to the same question 40 years ago?

How do you mount the sunshield on it?

Now I actually liked the Redfield widefield.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will sell to a lot of varmint hunters and put there large scopes lower over the barrel....................I think leupold will sell a lot of them.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If anyone's questioning it, this scope is for real. There is an add in the magazines right now that says everything you knew about scopes is about to be eclipsed with a pic of the sun with the moon over it and a notch out of the bottom like that. It looks like an abortion that lived to me, and I will bet it will not last long.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
It will sell to a lot of varmint hunters and put there large scopes lower over the barrel....................I think leupold will sell a lot of them.

My main hunting focus is varminting at long range and I won't be buying one until it's proven that is so much better than the traditional scope mounting methods that I can get over how ugly it looks. (Hemi or not, I can't buy a Dodge truck)

I really don't care that much about low mounted scopes. That seems to be more of a big/dangerous game thing where you want to the scope and back up irons to fit you the same for the stock that you have.

What I do care about is the normal visibility things and how you mount the sunshade as most of my varmint shooting is in bright sunshine.

Frank

one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clem:
Very interesting. They are trying to combine a big, light-gathering bell with a low mount. If they have figured out the front seal it isn't a bad approach - regardles of asthetics. Don't write it off yet.

I completely agree. To me this scope is the answer for all the people who gripe about 50 mm scopes needing to be mounted too high. As far as I'm concerned, scope mount height is much less of an issue than is stock fit. However to most shooters who are dealing with off the shelf rifles this concept works in that you can have the big glass for all the reasons bigger glass is better and not have to pay for it by having your cheek in thin air. As long as it isn't too heavy, it WILL sell and rightly it should. This concept is honest innovation.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of duggaboybuff
posted Hide Post
its interesting to say the least. Having been a salesman in retail gun shops, and selling many, many leupolds to varmint hunters, I too believe that this may catch on to this particular market. Every shooter who buys a scope is constantly wanting the lowest mounts possible, so this makes for a interesting concept for bigger objective lens scopes.

Posts: 411 | Location: australia | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just saw one of these scopes today at Bobs Guns & tackle in hastings michigan. I have to say it was actualy pretty neat. I don't know how it will effect durability but it did do a good job of getting that big scope lower on the gun so it was nice and comfortable to look thru. It also didn't seem to have any effect on field of view or how clear the scope looked. It might look a little different but it looked to do a good job of putting a big objective lower on the rifle. I hear talk about a 56mm objective in the same scope. The leupole fatory rep was there and talking about it. If you handle one you might think differently. Is it nessessary, probably not, neat, yep.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the reps brought it down for one of the workers there. I'm not sure if they are selling them yet or not. Might still be there to see though.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally, something to show Joe-Bubba which part of his new Leoopie is supposed to be on the bottom.

This scope will pay for itself as now the factory staff will not have to explain to less bright customers why the windage turret tracks vertically and the elevation tracks horizontally.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
. . . . or, Bubba can mount it in see-thru mounts and have a great view of his front sight!

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Looks kinda hokey but it's practical. Once the get all the bugs worked out I wouldn't mind trying one.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

You all missed the most important detail about this scope!

You no longer have to keep trying to get the cross hairs square! Just make sure that dent is over the barrel, and you're done clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67379 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Kinda takes all the fun out of it... lol

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote