Find
Notify
Tools

Non-native big game animals in USA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
Out of interest what other non-native big game animals have you guys got in USA?? I didn't know about Ibex till i read thread on this page.

I mean free range herds not ranch herds,i know of Oryx,Sika and Chital

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Wild hogs.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
axis deer, sika deer, audad sheep, black buck antelope, corsican sheep, hogs, barbado (sp?) sheep, fallow deer, nilgai,

and probably a LOT more...

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I know of a few free range sambar and zebra but haven't figured out a way to get permission to hunt either.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
There are lots of nilgai along the southern coastal plains of Texas.

Folks in the Hill Country learned long ago that axis deer and high fences don't always mix; as a result, there are lots of axis (among other species) ranging freely through that region of the state.

Aoudad in the David Mountains is one of the most gruleling hunts you could possibly try.

As to wild hogs, they are pretty much everywhere in Texas now.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Not sure if any of yall know this. The Yturria Ranch near Raymondville (next to the King Ranch) has been raising herds of some pretty expensive African stuff and a couple others, all free range as far as I know. The ranch is 80,000 acres low fenced and they have Waterbuck, Lechwe, Blackbuck, Nilgai, Springbok, Eland, Addax, Kudu, Gemsbok, Beisa Oryx, White Bearded Wildebeest, Sable, and one of the largest herds of Scimitar Horned Oryx in Texas.....over 300 head.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
There are also Red Deer down in the hill Country of Texas.

In fact, in many parts of the hill Country, there is no telling what a person might see roaming around in their pastures.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
only free ranging herd of PURE Persian Ibex in the world outside of their homerange live in southern New Mexico. Awesome animal to hunt.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote