THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Federal HE & Hornady Lt. Mag Loads & Barrel Length

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal HE & Hornady Lt. Mag Loads & Barrel Length
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a question about Standard cartridges and these loads. Would the basic 30-06, .270, .280,etc benefit from a 25" or 26" barrel length when shooting these Hotter loads?

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All rifles benifit from a longer barrel, it is a trade off to some who like the short barrels however....Normally you get more velocity, but that's is not my motivation.

I like 26" barrels on most of my hunting guns as they shoot better for me offhand and they point quicker, they "hang", especially when I'm out of breath.....

Same with a shotgun, I like 28" tubes.

Only my lever action saddle guns have short barrels.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MARK
in my 06 with a 26 inch barrel i get 2925-2980 fps with the federal h.e ammo loaded with the 180 gn noslers depening which batch of ammo i get
with the 165 gn sieeras in the federal h.e loading i get 3120 fps
the federal load with the 180 gn loading has 68 gns of powder in it and the 165 gn loading had 70 gns of powder in it and thats a fair bit of powder to digest from the 06 case
i have tested both the hornady and federal h.e loadings in 22 24 and 26 inch barrels and the federal loadings are pretty spot on the hornady ammo did not live up to its advertised velocity in no bullet weight 150 165 or 180 gn in any of the barrel lengths
the 06 with the 26 inch barrel had a definate advantage in the velocity stakes as compared to the 22 and 24 inch verions
by the way the federal and hornady h.e ammo is NOT loaded hotter i have had them tested in a pressure barrel and they were running at a pressure of 55-58,000 psi
if you want any more info of the results i got let me know
daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I had a .270 Win. with a 24" Hart barrel that gave a whopping 3200 fps. with one lot of Hornady Light Magnum factory ammo, and groups of less than 1".

I had two .300 Win. Mag. rifles, one with a 26" Kreiger barrel, and one with a 24" Hart barrel. Both produced right at 3150 fps. with Federal High-Energy 180 gr. Trophy Bonded loads, and superb accuracy with reasonable pressures in both rifles.

It has been my experience that with standard cartridges (.30-06 & .270 Win.) and the standard short magnums (.338 Win., .300 Win., 7mm Rem.) velocity depends more on individual barrels than it does barrel length. In short, I've found that for practical purposes, a .300 Winchester with a 24" barrel does about as well on average as it would with a 26" barrel.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ray, allen, M 98, for the replys and info.

------------------
Thanks, Mark G

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything." Genesis 9:3

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote