Find
Notify
Tools

Getting Ready for Texas - 2010
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted
Well, it's finally that time - Texas White-tail! I have friends who scoff at me for this. I live in SoCal and all but refuse to bother to hunt here. It's darn near pointless in my opinion. Game is scarce, over hunted, and in many cases over-tree hugged.

A couple times a year I make a pilgrimage to Texas to spend some time with friends on a hunting lease we share. I get my chance to hunt for several deer and hogs and I get to have a very strong chance of success. I've taken two or three deer for the past couple years...I start to run out of Venison right around the Holidays...

I had the joy last year of helping my buddy "unstuck" his truck in the mud. The year before we burned the outhouse to the ground. Literally. I also had snow on the ground and low 20's in an open blind - thank the Good Lord the wind wasn't blowing...much! rotflmo Heck, it was 85 degrees when I got there earlier in the week!

I always overpack for this trip even when I'm flying. It's the BoyScout in me. Be prepared for everything. This year I'm driving out instead of flying. I'll be bringing an extra layer of clothes...that's about it. Somehow I question if 20 rounds is enough...heck, I came home with 17 last year.

No, now it's down to the wire to pick the rifle. I can't seem to ever get this quite right and invariably end up with two guns. Last year it was my .257 Roberts and my .44 Mag.

This year I think it will be my .375 H&H with 300 grain partitions. Y'know, cuz' deer need that kinda penetration! At the range this week, I fired four groups that dropped into the 1-1.25" range. Just super consistent. I can't ask for more than that...

The .44 mag is my 629 PC Light Hunter. I'll likely use it from my open stand. Shots there are from 25-75 yards and I can keep 6 in 6" at 100 yards. Again, I'll be shooting a 300gr. Nosler...Mostly because there's a very real chance for hogs out there and I do loves me some hog!

I'm a bit giddy right now. I leave Friday and won't get back home for 8 days. I should be able to fill up 3-5 deer and a couple hogs if everything goes right. It never does, but I'm good with that!

Wish me luck Boys!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Best of luck to you -- and don't forget to post pictures when you get back!

It warmed up here the past few days, but it should be turning a good bit colder Friday.

Anyway, here's hoping you have a safe and successful trip. tu2

Bobby

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
This year I think it will be my .375 H&H with 300 grain partitions. Y'know, cuz' deer need that kinda penetration! At the range this week, I fired four groups that dropped into the 1-1.25" range. Just super consistent. I can't ask for more than that...

The .44 mag is my 629 PC Light Hunter. I'll likely use it from my open stand. Shots there are from 25-75 yards and I can keep 6 in 6" at 100 yards. Again, I'll be shooting a 300gr. Nosler...Mostly because there's a very real chance for hogs out there and I do loves me some hog! ...
tu2 Big Grin Seems like some Adequate Cartridges to me.

Good Hunting and clean 1-shot Kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot 'em with whatever you enjoy shooting them with. The only person you have to please is yourself.

What part of the state? More or less Central Texas, I assume, since you are counting on a five deer limit. Yes, as you have experienced, the only thing consistent about Texas weather is its inconsistency. Today and tomorrow will be in the 80's in Central Texas, while Friday is predicted to be at the freezing level. Since you are driving you can afford to bring a variety of clothing.

Don't forget that turkeys and coyotes are also fair game. Shoot that turkey right at the junction of the wings and the backbone with those 300 grain Noslers and you won't spoil a scrap of the breast. Or take his head off, if you're that good!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote