Find
Notify
Tools

Back from WY antelope hunt (PICS)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
My brother and I got home around 630am today after another successful DIY hunt in WY. I shot a doe in unit 31 the day before. Our buck tags were not valid until the 5th. Shot the doe at 236 yards with a 270/150 Btip combo.

(Brother) shot his buck on the same hill not 75 yards from where he took his buck last year. Shot it 3 minutes after we arrived. Got it on video. 198 yards, 270/110 TSX combo.

I shot my buck around 1145am just a few hours later. We took his buck into town to the butcher before I began. On a parcel of private land, we watched 3 bucks on a doe. I got as close as I could, roughly 395 yards. My brother stayed back about 350 yards behind me to video. One of the small bucks came up within 90 yards of me then took off towards the herd. The dominant buck, ran him off and at this point I ranged them both at 333 yards. Unfortunately, my bro couldn't tell which one I was going to shoot as he was over 600 yards away from them. He focused on the smaller of the 2 while I dumped the bigger buck at 333. I used my 7mag/150 Btip load.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a pair of pretty fair goats. Congratulations.

I do enjoy speed goat hunting.. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
We don't go out in search of monsters. It's just fun to get away and get a decent buck. My brother said to me on the drive home that this is his favorite game animal because they are so unique and pretty to look at.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a successful hunt to both of you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Nice bucks. Did the 110 TSX work ok(im sure it did a great job). I use them in my 15" Contender in 6.8 spc. Work well @2550FPS...so im sure they are that much better @ 3300 or soSmiler

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Josh, that little 110 TSX has sure changed my paradigm on hunting: (big bullets per caliber).

Every big game animal my brother has taken with that combo has just turned stiff legged up. I filmed his hunt this year. He's taken a number of deer and antelope now and not one has made it anywhere except down.

He likes simplicity. He wants to point and shoot to 350 yards. With that combo, he can.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Great going Doc. clap I too just returned from Wyoming. We had a great trip and took some nice animals. I posted a couple pics in this forum too. I'm with you - we're just after a good time. If a nice animal gets in the way of our rifles, so be it! Wink

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Good going Doc. Is that a range card taped to your rifle? That's great you used a 7 Mag. I've just "discovered" this round in the way of a NIB Model 70 Classic Stainless I picked up. It's a half inch shooter with factory Rem loads and I plan to use it this year as my deer rifle. Once again, conrats on a great hunt. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. We love going to WY. Love CO too. I did read your thread DR.

quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Good going Doc. Is that a range card taped to your rifle?

Hi Jorge. Yes, you'll notice on both my rifle and my brother's that I taped the trajectory charts on them (to 450 yards). It's almost pointless on his rifle as he has all of a 3.5" deviation to 325 yards. But it makes him feel warm and fuzzy.

You'll also notice that I have ear plugs wrapped around my neck due to the muzzle break.

You may recall that I posted the load with that 7mag awhile back where I one holed a few bullets. That is to this day, the most consistent load I've put through that rifle. Guess I'll keep up with the Btips as they seem to bust right through the shoulders just fine. My brother filmed me when I shot the doe the day before we got the bucks and the 270/150 Btip crushed her framework. I keep telling myself that I'm going to have to get on board with all the other guys and stop using this accurate bullet but I just haven't had a bad experience in 17+ years of using them.

You'll love that 7 you got. What a nice rifle! It's is remarkable that you found a nice group with Rem. factory ammo so I'd go buy a few boxes of the same lot number.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, those are nice goats. I wish some of my hunting friends could take as good a pic as your brother does. Your goat has a really handsome coat/cape, he looks manicured!

As usual great shooting--I bet the videos are fun!

Congrats--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Really good looking goats. I would rather hunt those guys than any other N.A. game animal. It has been 10 years since I was able to go on a goat hunt, I am going to put one together in 2007.

Congratulations on your goats, excellent pictures and story. cheers

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Doc, those are nice goats. I wish some of my hunting friends could take as good a pic as your brother does. Your goat has a really handsome coat/cape, he looks manicured!

As usual great shooting--I bet the videos are fun!

Congrats--Don

I thought my brother's looked better than mine-you know I'm the dude with brown hair right? I think mine looks cool too, as both of my last 2 antelope had black down the nose. And yes, I just finished watching the video all over again. I wish I knew how to post a video.

quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
I would rather hunt those guys than any other N.A. game animal.

If you asked my brother, he'd say the same thing, and we're both whitetail hunting nuts!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a good time Doc. thumb

What stock do have on those rifles, I like the camo.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
What stock do have on those rifles, I like the camo.

Factory wood stocks, pillar bedded, sanded and painted by John Noveske, pattern is "Southwest Oregon."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure do look COOL. Cool

Think I could get him to do a factory remington plastic stock???

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
Think I could get him to do a factory remington plastic stock???

Most likely, give him a call or email:

John Noveske rifleworks

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
WTG Doc! Speed goat hunts are probably the most fun for a family hunt.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
WTG Doc! Speed goat hunts are probably the most fun for a family hunt.

My wife just told me that she'd like to go next year! She'll have to get some range time in for sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
oiginally posted by Doc
quote:
I'm the dude with brown hair right?

Nope! I thought you were the second set of pics, black hair! You are right though, your goat with the black down it's nose is quite cool. Interesting that your bro has a muzzle brake on his .270, is that integral to the barrel? I notice he's a lefty, I hadn't picked up that you were previously, maybe that should have been a clue homer

Tell your brother I think his goat is manicured!

Take care--Don

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Don, I'm the guy with 'dark' hair, my brother is the guy with RED hair and beard. Black, brown, chocolate hair....that's me. I have a muzzle break on my 7mag. Russell's 270 doesn't.

I shoot left handed as I am left eye dominant, but right handed.

I think I really confused you! Sorry. Big Grin This is me, the ugggly one:

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
That's Great Doc! Congrats!

Good thing that bolt didn't fall off and your NBT didn't bounce off Big Grin rotflmo

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
That's Great Doc! Congrats!

Good thing that bolt didn't fall off and your NBT didn't bounce off Big Grin rotflmo

Reloader

Thanks. Isn't it bizzare, the Btip legend that is? I got an email from a friend that dumped a bull elk with the same set up as me, 7mag, 150Btip. Dumped it at 160 yards, lung shot, pass through. I have no doubts that the Btip is controversial...but I will continue its use until I have a reason not to.

As for the Remington 700s, well, they work for me.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Doc, if you could PM me or post your 7Mag load, I'd appreciate it. I plan to start doing my own loads for it soon and I also took your advice and bought a few boxes with the same lot #. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Sending PM...

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Doc, I got it right. Now I'm jsut wondering if you brushed your antelopes coat before the pics. He is handsome. It made sense there might be a brake on the 7mag, so now I'm on track.

Good Hunt my man!!

Regards--Don

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
Now I'm jsut wondering if you brushed your antelopes coat before the pics. He is handsome.

Big Grin No. But we did try to wipe off the blood coming out of his mouth but it didn't work. We turned his head slightly one way to wipe and blood poured out the other side. Oh well.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, congratulations anyway! Buck/Doe, that's what I did.