New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elk Hunt Boulder Mountain Utah
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back from a terrific elk hunt on the Boulder Mountains in Southern Utah. Randsom Owens, professional wildlife artist and one of the best elk guides in Utah helped me. I also had Justin Christensen from Payson Utah, another great guide and elk caller with me. They both hunt out of Trophy Head Hunter Outfitters in Escalante Utah. (trophyheadhunterl.com). There were 5 hunters in our camp, and I think a two more in another camp. All told, Trophy Head Hunters went 7 for 7. (I have picts of 5 from our camp below)
I grew up in Southern Utah and always dreamed of hunting big bull. Never lucky enough to draw a tag in the 80’s, I had to patiently wait through the point system (I drew with 16) before I drew this tag. (I started putting in for Monroe elk in 1981)
This was a mentally draining hunt. A week before I started, Randsom had been watching three really nice herd bulls. They were all three within 5 square miles and we decided to focus on this area. The reason that it was mentally draining is that we knew exactly where these bulls were. We heard them, could see their cows, but could not get close. The boulder mountain can be a very tough, gnarly, thick black timber area if you let it, and that’s where we were.
I saw nice bulls every day. I passed up two that were larger than the one that I shot (that’s the chance you take if you are committed to hunting one bull). I ended up shooting one of the Satellite bulls from the herd we were hunting on night of day 6 of the 8 day hunt. 317 yds, Sako Finnlite300WSM, Zeiss Optics, Federal Premium Ammo, 165 TSX.

The Resort I stayed at

The Dining area

The Suite

A nice 6 pt. taken from camp

A nice 6 pt. with 'handlebars'

These three all killed on the same day. Mine is on your left

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a heck of a hunt to me! Congratulations. I know the frustration of spending many years waiting to shoot a big bull. I'm still waiting.

Posts: 860 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. We used to hunt deer there in the early 70's and there weren't any elk.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote