THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wyoming antelope hunt photo and story

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming antelope hunt photo and story
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted
Below is a photo of my antelope from this season. This year I was hunting with my father, stepfather and uncle. We were hunting on the west side of Unit 50 near Saratoga. I had served as guide for the other guys throughout the morning and finally got them all filled out when this antelope was spotted just on the border of some BLM land we had hunted earlier in the day. For some unknown reason he did not cross over on to private land but instead turned and walked about 400 yards out into the BLM block. After a short but slow stalk I was able to take a 300 plus yard shot. I was shooting my Winchester M-70 in 30.06 topped with a Khales 3 X 9 scope and loaded with factory Hornady 165 grain Interbonds. It was a one shot kill on the point of the right shoulder and exited the off side flank dropping the antelope instantly. He isn't a great trophy, but has good mass which fooled me a bit as his length isn't great. He is about average for what we were seeing on government ground this year, but we did see some very nice goats on private ranches who knew they were safe. It was a great hunt and I enjoyed it as much as any hunt I have taken the past few years as it was the first time my these guys had hunted pronghorns.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice goat I hunted Antelope out of Casper a few years ago, it still is one of the best hunts I've been on. Your story and photo makes me want to go back.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nice Buck!

I can't wait to chase em' again in that country.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry - Great trophy but that looks almost like Namibia - when are you comming for springbok?

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,

The geography was very similar in appearance to areas I had hunted in the NW province and Orange Free State of RSA. Pronghorns remind me of Springbok in appearance and the manner in which they are hunted. Springbok are just a bit harder to hit as they are smaller. Of course my one shot at a springbok was 40 yards and all 4 of the pronghorns I have killed have been at or a bit over 300 yards.

Namibia is definitely in my future plans for Africa.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Nice pic Perry,

Just got back from OFS - Tony's place.
Had some great guinea fowl hunting with the lad, he made some great shots.
He also whacked his second antelope, a nice blesbok at 160m after a 2 hour stalk in ankle high free state shrub/grass.
I will post pics asap.

I also had the pleasure of hunting with a member of the AR Forum, I think he posts as none1.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote