THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    DIY spot & stalk black bear hunting??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DIY spot & stalk black bear hunting??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I've got the itch to do an unguided, DIY black bear hunt somewhere in the lower 48. Preferably a spring hunt, with rifle or muzzleloader. Set up a camp site and walk and glass the ridges throughout the day. Does anyone know which western states are particularly good for spring black bears? The bears don't have to be record book size, I'm just looking for a fun hunting experience.

-Dan

Posts: 111 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 27 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
We did one in spring of 2014 in the Bob Marshall near Glacier MT. Great hunting trip but we didn't shoot any bears. We are planning on going back in May of 2015 though. Highly recommended! I think there are good opportunities in the Helena area as well.

Make sure you watch out for Grizz.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
i did one in northern ID, bout 30 miles or so south of Canada. you have to hit the timing right, too early and they're still snoozin', too late and they've rubbed their hides off. i shot a nice cinnamon bear there. i think it was early-ish in may.

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Archuleta county, here in CO has one of highest bear concentrations in the state of CO. We have a fall season but unfortunately, no spring season. And you have to put in for the draw for the early bear season which runs through the month of September

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Try the burn areas in New Mexico, the ones that are growing back. You can buy OTC as a non-resident (last time I checked) until the unit closes. Burn areas around the Gila and Ruidoso should be good.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote