THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Best 308 Win Factory Load for Black Bear

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 308 Win Factory Load for Black Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since I'm not a handloader I have to shoot factory loads.I was planning on using Federal Premium 165 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for Black Bear over bait in a few weeks.What do you all think of this load/bullet?Is this a good choice or would you suggest another factory load?Any input would be appreciated.

Posts: 51 | Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore | Registered: 12 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I would expect it to be just great.
I got my black bear with a 180 rem core-lokt at 250 yards in a 308 win.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
This would be my choice of bullet as well even thoughi would be handloading them! The 165 and the 308 are a match made in Heaven. It is enough bullet and it is enough gun, you will do well. Good luck and good hunting.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Federal Premiums are as good as it gets with factory fodder. Just match the type of projectile to the game being hunted.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
That load will do just fine. Good luck on your hunt!

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirtbikerider44:
Since I'm not a handloader I have to shoot factory loads.I was planning on using Federal Premium 165 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for Black Bear over bait in a few weeks.What do you all think of this load/bullet?Is this a good choice or would you suggest another factory load?Any input would be appreciated.
Since you can shoot over bait try this site http://www.bearscents.com to enhance your chances.We can't use any bait in Calif however I know of a bear that succombed because he liked peanut butter,it was placed on the trees then checked and repeated a couple of times then the hunter spread it on more trees and waited,he got his bear, btw they like cottage cheese,sardines and especially anything that's stinking ripe like salmon and steelehead carcasses or a rotten road killed deer.Another load Fed has is 165gr Nosler Solid Base bullets in their premium ammo,I've used that bullet in my bedded & tuned Sako Finnbear 06 to shoot the tightest 5 shot group of reloads in my shooting career and a friend uses the same bullet for bear,elk & mule deer in his 300 weatherby movin out at 3400 fps+ in Colorado.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
165 grain Interlock Hornady Light-Magnum gets over 2700 fps out of my BLR--that's what I'd use.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the 165gr will be plenty of medicine for black bear. My buddy's using the 168gr NBT's this season. (Aug 1). You should be fine.

Best of luck with the hunt. thumb

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My buddies son killed a black bear in Idaho this June with the Federal factory 165 TB.

It is one of my favorite factory loads in a 308 rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although a little pricey to some, I would try the Federal 180mrx Factory load.