Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Red Stag Special Package
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted
I just got a call from the ranch foreman and he says that the Stag have stripped their velvet and we have some great bulls again this year. Some of you may have seen pics on this forum of the big Stag that TXPO shot with me on the same ranch last year. We should shoot some more great stags this year, but it's important to shoot them early, before they start fighting and breaking tines.

I have several hunts available between now and the end of September, and I am offering a special package for the Red Stags. The total cost of the 2 1/2 day hunt is $2,950, which includes meals, lodging, and guide fee, as well as the trophy fee for one trophy Stag. Texas non-resident exotic license is an additional $35. We have over 30 species on the ranch which may be taken on a trophy fee basis. I am offering a 10% discount on additional animals on these Stag packages.

The ranch is near Kerrville. I can pick you up at the San Antonio airport or meet you at the ranch. Please call 281-494-4151 or e-mail ggrod@msn.com for details.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
You mean this one Greg??? [Big Grin]

-

If you are looking for a great stag and an even better time I recommend you give Greg a call.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
That's the one.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How much for a Black Angus Steer? I would like him feed out on good grain for 90 days, plus a good clean broad side shot. I wont a clean kill so ther meat will be good. How much for a trophy mount? Is there a trophy fee if the steak is real good or a 50% refund if the meat is tough? I hope the ranch hands will process the kill. I will tip the real good. Also after the " HUNT " is over and I had my picture made with my .500 Cal. super custom Mag. I would like a supper prepared TEX - MEX Dinner, a Top Shelf Margreti, and a double shot of Johney Walker Blue Lable. I woulde like this " HUNT " booked in late summer of 2004. Please post how much and I will send 50% cash deposit.
Thank You
\Displaced Texan

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Where do you trolls and idiots come from? Whenever anyone posts a high fence hunt on this site, there is always some dumbass who insists on an idiotic post. If it's not your cup of tea, don't come. There's no need to slam me or anyone else. Whether you agree or not, we are all hunters. We should be supporting each other, not creating factions of people with elitist attitudes trying to beat each other down.

[ 07-23-2003, 07:31: Message edited by: Greg R ]

posted Hide Post
Greg Disregard the texan Always a troll for anything [Frown] nut i was wondering what was the other 30 speices?

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Axis, Aoudad, Blackbuck, Sika, Fallow, Muntjac, P. David, Bison, Addax, Scimitar Oryx, Lechwe, Gemsbok, Eland, Dama Gazelle, Nilgai, Wildebeest, Zebra, and more...

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Greg & TXPO,

Darn nice looking Stag. Good price too.

Too bad you are so limited on the other animals you can take there! [Big Grin]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow

Nice Stag.

That package looks interesting but what I was really hoping for was a partridge in a pear tree. [Razz]

Just Kidding.

All of this talk about hunting is getting me excited. I can't wait 'til January. My wife and myself will be hunting with Greg R. for our Honeymoon on that ranch.

Posts: 187 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta | Registered: 15 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Sid,

I am looking forward to having you both down, and I am especially anxious to meet any woman who wants to go hunting on her honeymoon. You are a lucky dog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Displaced Texan:

While I hate to compete with Greg, I happen to own a ranch and can provide everything you requested. Please send $5000 for you 50% depost and the dates you would like to shoot the Black Angus Steer and specify how much you want him to weigh. Standard rules apply, if you wound him, you bought him. PS real Texans shoot the bull [Big Grin] but some, like you, are just full of it, or some byproduct.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Gato,

That price is ridiculous. I can offer the same thing for $2000 less!

I am not joking when I say I have some wild cows. Man these things are tough to get up on. They have lived off in the cedar breaks all their life. No human contact.

I chalange anyone to try to get within bow range of these guys. They are wild! I have seriously considered hunting them with a dart gun. It would be fun, I could get them in a trailer and ship 'em off ... any takers?

You can get your picture with a genuine wild cow!

one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you guys hunt these "wild cows"? Really, do you stalk via foot, truck, horse, atv...???

I can set him up for a lot less than either of you for an Angus steer. I'll sell it to him for two times the market price on whatever day he comes to shoot the damned thing!

Kent

[ 07-24-2003, 20:40: Message edited by: Kent in IA ]

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I will sell it to him for HALF the market price, if he will just help me get the darn things out!

Let me clarify, I do get to keep the cow though.

I am selling the experience, not the meat [Big Grin]

Kind of like a darted Rhino hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, and I thought I had a marketing niche discovery. Oh well, that is what is great about the capitalist system, greed drives the prices down. [Big Grin]

But wait, are you guys offering purebred Angus Steers that are certified for foot in mouth hunters?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo,

Do you think he will be able to tell the difference? I could, but I figured I could pass off any ol' black steer!

Kent

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of wild cows....I had a friend who lived on the Rio Grande and the Mexican general across the river raised lots of Mexican fighting bulls, they would come across on my friends place we would hunt them, he sold some hunts until he got a doctor gored, and he had to pay the bill, so he gave that endevor up. I'm pretty sure he was buying those bulls from the general at that time...

I believe the fighting bulls were much more agressive and determined than cape buffalo..they would charge on sight if you were on foot, they pretty well just ran from a horse, but not always...It was great sport, and lousy eating...On ocassions we would get one on our place from his. It may be that someone is missing a bet today on this as that was a long time ago, but they might be classified as dangerous game and get you in a bit of trouble by Texas law, I don't know. We used deer rifles and they were a little light, I noticed that, but didn't let that deter me...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was being sour and pointed in my post.I was born and raised in West Texas, in a little oil town 85 miles west of San Angelo on Hwy 67, Texon TX. Hunted all my life, learned too shoot a single shoot 22 at Jack Rabbets. Worked on ranches and roughed necked on drilling rigs. Was drafeted and spent 20 years in military. Almost 60 years old, will move back to my belovbed TX when I retire.
The way of hunting I new has changed forever. We would pay a rancher a tresspass fee, camp by his wind mill, cook our own food, and shoot FREE RANGING Native Deer. Field dress and process our kills. The ranches I hunted have had huntig rights leased by agents. 3K to 6K for on Texas deer is crazy. A land owner has a perfect right to purchase exoic non native animal raise it. Let some one shoot it for a fee. I have a hard time with this being called hunting. But you have the right to freedom of speach. Call it what you wont and make as much money as you can.The free enterprise system. I know what a real hunt is and what you are doing is not hunting as I know it. A fellow we hunt with in the S.E. Paid 6K for a 190 plus White Tail in Wisconsin he had a picture of the deer before he went on the " HUNT ". When he came back and showed the pictures of the kill. We talked to about his hunt , he has never mintoned it again. The deer cannot be put in PoP & Young because it was a from a deer farm. You guys make some money and pay some taxies. But you wont get any of my money
Good Luck

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
To each their own I guess. I struggle to understand why someone would spend that money on what is pretty much a zoo animal. Albeit a big zoo!

For the same price you could fly to Scotland and stalk 4 maybe 5 native red deer over a week. Wild and unfenced. Flights, accomadation, guide all in.

Regards

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deerdogs:

The airfare will cost at least $650. That means that I can fly to Scotland, hunt with a guide for a week, shoot 4 or 5 red deer, accomodations included for about 200 pounds a day. Please provide details.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....Well Deerdogs, I agree with you. I fly to Brasil to hunt two legged females. I can get the same hunt here, but it always seems to cost more. [Big Grin]

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Deerdogs:

The airfare will cost at least $650. That means that I can fly to Scotland, hunt with a guide for a week, shoot 4 or 5 red deer, accomodations included for about 200 pounds a day. Please provide details.

[Smile] I just made one call to an outfitter in Scotland. If I was going to do this myself I'd go though my work colleagues who manage Scottish Sporting Estates and hope to pay �250/stag.

The outfitter quoted �410 per stag. All in. Plus accomadation which is cheap in Scotland provided you keep out of the tourist hotels so budget 5 nights at �50 per night. Plus flights. To be realistic you may want a hire car at , say another �100 for the week. So that comes to �1990 plus your flight for four stags.

If you wanted to shoot hinds then the cost goes down to �150 per day. You may shoot one, you may shoot five. November through February for the hinds. August/ September/ October is best for Stags.

This would be serious deer stalking in the Scottish mountains. Be fit or be out of breath!

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Greg R,

I do not mean to hijack your post. I am sure that there will be people who do not have the time to fly all the way to Scotland for their stag hunting... or do not want to leave the security of the US.

As Rudyard Kipling said "there are nine and twenty ways of constructing tribal lays, as every single one of them is right". In other words - each to his own.

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Richard,

No worries. This post seems to have taken on a life of it's own. It's been kind of fun to watch. From Red Stag to Feral Cattle to Spanish fighting bulls in Mexico and then back to Stag but now we're in Scotland [Eek!]

The guy that goes to Scotland to hunt Stag and the guy that wants to come hunt them in Texas are not usually the same guy. Our trophy quality is generally much better in Texas (unless you pay a higher trophy fee for a bigger stag in Scotland), and most of my hunters don't have the time or desire to go to Scotland to hunt them. Scotland offers a great experience for those who are so inclined, but many aren't. I will shoot my Stag in Texas, but whenever I find someone to trade a hunt with me, I would like to hunt Roe Deer, Muntjac, and Chinese Water Deer in Europe, both for the experience and the chance to take some unusual trophies.

Now I'll just sit back and see what you crazy freaks think of next.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GregR so what would a Blackbuck hunt run?

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I have a 2 1/2 day package for $1,800. You get meals, lodging ,and guide fee, plus hunter's choice of 1 of the following:Axis, Aoudad, Blackbuck, Fallow, Sika, or a Ram (Black Hawaiian, Dall, or Corsican).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was watching a hunting show this morning and this very topic came up. It was one of the better shows and the producer stated on the show that in 4 years they have never recieved a single letter from an anti-hunter. But he has recieved hundreds of letters from hunters that were negative about his show and the types of hunting he has shown. Some against cross bows, some against black powder, some against fenced hunting. I will always believe we are our own worst enemy! [Confused]

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
See my post on the African forum titled, "Part of the Reason Hunting Is In Trouble."

The comment above, about hunters being more critical of each other than anti-hunters, is dead on.

What a bunch of jerks we are!

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People that hunt should stick together, I respect honest hunters. Go to Rockie Mountains hunt NATIVE Elk, climb to your lungs about to bust, sleep in a tent in sub freezing weather. Help pack your kill out. Enjoy some good tinder loin from your kill. But to call shooting a non native animal, that was raised behind a high fence for the express purpose to have someone to pay to shoot it with a 100% chance of a kill. Is this hunting? Shoot your behind the fence "trophy", someone else gut it drag it it out,and process it& Go back to the lodge have a few drinks, talk about rough your " HUNT " was. What is hunting?
I have the means to go on these " hunts " but I pefere to go on real hunts. As I know them, I might be to old & not up with modern " HUNTING".

posted Hide Post
Greg R,

Out of curiosity, what size area are these animals typically confined to ? Are they free to roam an area all year around or are they introduced to the hunting area sometime prior to the hunt taking place?

Gatogordo,

Those prices Richard quotes sound about for "commercial" stalkling. There are better bargins out there but they tend to go to people "in the know" and also as the price comes down very often some aspect of the hunt tends to suffer; sometimes its the amount of animals on the ground, or perhaps teh size of the ground it self or perhaps the potential trophy quality.

Having said that, perhaps the best bargin in stalking in Scotland has to be on the hinds in winter. It is really challenging stalking over challenging terrain in weather which is often described as "challenging" too!

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Displaced Texan. Somehow, your holier than thou attitude pisses me off. What in hell makes an "honest" hunter. Not every person who likes to hunt can be in perfect physical shape. Like you, I used to climg the mountains in search of trophy sized deer and elk, and do all the other "manly" things you revere so highly.
However, due to an accident while hunting, I severely ruined my right knee. I can no laonder physically "climb the mountains" in the "manly" manner you so desire. I still live to hunt and will continue to do so as long as I can, but if some of those high fence hunts you so high mindly abhor were more reasonably priced, I'd damn well take advantage of the chance to do so. No. It's not the finest way to hunt, but if it's what I have to do to continure hunting, at least in some manner, then that is what I'll do.
I hope the Good Lord continues to bless you with the best of health and physical condition, but until you walk a mile in my shoes, or the shoes of others with physical problems, piss off!
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul B: you are 100% right. Being of the "I don�t walk anymore" club doesn�t implies you should quit hunting. By the way, the nice stag shown is nice....in Texas [Big Grin] Trophy quality in New Zealand, Hungary or here is much, much better.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote