New
Find
Notify
Tools

S. Centrl/West PA. Bear hunters
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saw a very small blurd in the local paper this morning under "Police Reports" - Bear Struck on U.S.30. Seems some guy in a 2000 Nisson Frontier between McConnellsburg & Breezewood hit a bear and totaled his truck - and the bear walked away! The bear was estimated to be approximately 500lb.! Eeker Anyone else hear about this? I think it said it was at the intersection of Scrub hill rd.(?)

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You thought Nissans are tougher than a bear ?? rotflmo I.ve heard similar stories about deer and moose .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually the vehicle damage is no surprise, the size of the bear is what caught my attention! That's quite a brusier if it's true.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually...500 pounds is on the light side for many Pa. bears. At least 10 bears this past bear season were over 600 pounds with the heaviest at 697 pounds and a lot of them went between 400 and 500 pounds. Thats Grizzly territory folks.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to a guy that helped get the record PA black bear out of the woods .The hunter went to the nearest bar and said anyone that helps me [15 did] I'll buy him a case of beer. beer Dressed weight was just over 800 lbs .In the last few years there have been a few that weighed over 800 lbs live. And of course PA hunters took 4000 last year. NYs Catskill Mtns has taken a record number this year but I don't now the final figures.Two that I know of were over 600, taken with a bow. BOOM

one of us
posted Hide Post
PA hunters have taken 3000 bears this year and 11 of those were over 600 lbs !! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem mete, but 500 pounds of hair fat and flesh without handles is still a bunch of bear! I wouldn't want to shoot him far from the road.

BTW - I've since learned this "accident" happened right on the outskirts of McConnellsburg. 500lbs may not ba a record but its a lot of bear to have in town!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do we have different bear killings ? York Daily Record ! Monday Morning Rt 15, & Range End Rd in Franklin Township bear killed outright 2:50 AM a few miles south of Dillsburgh, No damage to truck !Bear weighed 385 Lbs !

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Concho,

"Do we have different bear"

It'd seem so. This one (from the paper and local resident reports) was on Rt.30 just outside (west) of McConnellsburg in Fulton county. Unlike your bear, extensive searching failed to turn up any sign of the bear or of it being seriously injured.