THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: How many have actually scoped Deer and Elk@5-600?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: How many have actually scoped Deer and Elk@5-600?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted
Those bullets look nice DKing. What I wonder though is this, what if a bull had walked out at 75 or 100 yds.? i wonder what that Ballisitc Tip would have done to a mature bull elk at an impact velocity of 2900-3000 fps.
just curious.
35W

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35Whelen

If an elk would have walked out closer I'd have taken the shot if there were a good place to shoot it. Terminal performance is something folks need to keep in mind and as I have mentioned before I often carry several types of bullets. On this particular hunt (several years back now) I don't believe I had anything but the Ballistic Tips for the 300 Win Mag but I did have a spare rifle (308 Win with other loads). There were also other hunters along when I shot that elk. One of those other fellas, Larry, carried a 30-06 and was also a shooter that particular day so perhaps he would have be given the closer bull, one never knows?

I try to keep in mind that the solution to the problem is discovered by examining the entire situation, at least as much of it as is available. On a closer, much closer, shot I'd certainly NOT have opted for a shot that went big bones to vitals, I'd probably still have taken a heart-lung option or perhaps a cervical spine depending on the direction the critter presented.

(I just got back home last evening from a rifle competiton and haven't had a chance to read the entire contents of the new posted in this thread. I'm not trying to hijack the thread and will post relevant, thread specific info rather than just answer situations directly directly to me.)

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YOU KNOW, I have always wondered how the 300gr MathcKings would be. In essence they are a heavy bullet(grain wise) and with no lead exposure and that tiny hollowpoint, It seems like it should not be that weak a bullet.
That one you got from the moose is pretty interesting. I just never thought about it for an animal that big and I still probably won't BUT it definitely shows that it WILL do more then punch holes with precision out to "Ft. Mudge"

No question about how great it flies. I have more then a couple of sub 8" groups from the .340 at 1000. Whoda thunk it for game THAT big.
ThANKS for sharing on that one.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a herd of nice elk a couple of years ago, across a canyon at about that range with no cover to get closer; but there was a wicked crosswind blowing and it just didn't look good to me, so I just sat and watched for them eat for awhile. Pleasant end to the afternoon...

Posts: 14435 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
LAWCOP-Is this an example of "Intimidation 101"??From what I have hurd seen thats the last thing one wants do as showing all your cards right off the bat.

My wifes 4th degree instuctor would have had a ball with you.Just giving you heck in humor.Isn't the internet a "Blast"?

The poor old logger from Ideeho........Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

LAWCOP-Is this an example of "Intimidation 101"??From what I have hurd seen thats the last thing one wants do as showing all your cards right off the bat.

My wifes 4th degree instuctor would have had a ball with you.Just giving you heck in humor.Isn't the internet a "Blast"?

The poor old logger from Ideeho........Jayco.

QUITE HONESTLY that look and having worked the ghetto so long is why I was able to go where I did to do what I did without the hassle some of the other UCs would get into. You had to really be able to sell, "the walk the walk and talk the talk," or all sorts of "interesting " things could happen. When you are the only white guy several stories up in a gathering fo black drug dealers, and you know you don't have enough bullets in your gun to take care of them all if the shit got weird, having them make you for the law was not a reasonable option.

WHILE DOING that gig, I was also hired out to "kill" people.

Does THAT look like the kind of person who would kill people for money???????
One of my contracts, another agency was looking for a "biker type" who had a background in explosives if posible. THe boss called me into the office and said "do I have a job for you.....By then I had had an explosives license for about 8 years. Guy wanted his exwife and her boyfriend blown up.
YOu know they actually PAID ME to do that job.....

that is only the stuff I can talk about.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

The wife and I did the exact same thing a couple of times in Wyoming this year as conditions just weren't right for that long a shot.

I did attempt a 550 yard shot during my last week of hunting there. However, when I released the safety my gun went off without me touching the trigger. The elk ran and so I never had the chance to find out the potential result. BTW the rifle would do that about 8 more times that morning. Apparently the ice or dirt got removed by dry-firing and the rifle was OK after that.

My comfort zone up until then was about 475 yards as I have made several one shot kills between 425 and 460 yards on deer and elk.

For next year I might practice for 500-600 yards as I've had two disturbing experiences. Last year I was in the process of stalking a big bull from 1/2 mile away when another hunter 30 years my junior (I'm 63) saw me hiking up the hill towards the bull and unbeknownst to me decided to race me to the bull. My efforts were in vain as he won and I saw the animal drop 400 yards in front of me, just as I put the crosshairs on him.

This year, in a different area, a similar thing happened. A group of 8 young hunters first noticed my parked Jeep and then spotted me trudging up a mountain through the snow trying to stalk a herd of elk. They raced up behind me and were almost caught up (50 yards behind me) when I dropped my elk at 445 yards. I still believe that the only reason they didn't shoot over me was their rifle limitations. I found out they were all hunting with WWII service rifles in 8mm Mauser, 30-06 and Swedish Mausers.

In my opinion, both examples show poor hunting ethics by those hunters and personally I would never entertain thoughts of infringing on someones stalk. Never-the-less these incidents force me to rethink my shooting ranges and 500-600 yards may be in the cards for next year.

Posts: 27 | Location: State of Jefferson, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jay,

I have seen Elk at 700 yds on our local range. From off a bench and knowing the range the animals are at, I know I could place a bullet into the vitals at that yardage.

Now of course that is a perfect situation as one can get.
I shoot at a rock on our range at 725 yds all the time for fun.

However I think it is the ethical and astute hunter that knows that the possibilities of a clean kill are left to professionals at that range. Just because it can be done does not mean that people should try it.

Even at that distance, I would sure want to make sure that the bullet had the ooomph left to do the job. I have often thought it was funny but so many of the guys who take shots like that, are the same ones that tell you how a 30/30 is not capable of killing an Elk. Well at 500 yds plus, your 3000 Weatherbychester Magnum is basically the equal of a 30/30 at 100 yds or so.

There are experts among us, but dam few of them, and I am not afraid to admit, I don't consider myself one of them! Your navy seal buddy, I would consider an expert. But unless someone has his credentials, I start to have my doubts.

Seeing is believing and I haven't seen it a small fraction of how much I have heard it!

Great question.

Cheer and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I agree with Allen. He got an extra hour of intense enjoyment from his hunt by stalking closer. He also pitted himself against a prey with superior physical senses thereby challenging himself and risking being detected and losing his elk. The hunt is the fun part to me...the shot is only a few seconds of the hunt...the few seconds before the work begins!

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Seafire but.....most slam bang mags have as much enery at 500 yd as a 30-30 has at the muzzle. Would I be confident of an instant kill at 5ft with a 30-30 with a 170 grain pill? Your darn tootin! I know i'm spilting hairs.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote