New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just a thought
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have read with some intrest the different threads on scopes of the past few days. I was raised by my mother and her parents and was taught by them from the time I was very young to respect my elders. I learned the same lesson in school sometimes very painfully. I am not one of Ray's "sheep" but I do respect the man for his knowledge and his age. Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I am dissapointed, I dont log on for a couple days and the forum goes to hell in a handbasket.
Better get them sheep in line Ray!.. [Roll Eyes]

I know most guys on this forum know what Saeed feels about this sort of thing and it sure would be nice if everyone would act as mature as he does about it.

Trolls... theyre all the same!

Is a 35 Remington enough gun for Elk at 150 yds??? Im thinking it might be if I make sure to put an expensive enough scope on it.. [Big Grin] How much velocity gain can I expect by droping a Bushnell for a Nikon?

[ 07-31-2002, 08:13: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Respect in my book is earned not dealt out do to age...

Buell

Posts: 935 | Location: USA | Registered: 03 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
How much velocity gain can I expect by droping a Bushnell for a Nikon?

Western, depending on what you mean by "droping a Bushnell for a Nikon" I can offer you these personal observations.

A friend of mine took off a Bushnell and put on a Leopold on his 300 Wthby Mag and his firing pin broke. As soon as he replaced that, his stock cracked. When he put a new composite stock under the gun, he found his barrel was badly pitted from muzzle to chamber. Frustrated beyond what he could endure, the poor fellow cut the gun up with a torch and joined a traveling circus. [Big Grin] Last time I saw him he was guessing people's weights.

For me, my first experience with a Bushnell was when I replaced a Weaver K-6 with a Bushnell 3x9 on an old 30/06. The first thing I noticed was
the recoil was reduced to nearly the same level as my K Hornet. And my bullets all seemed to reach the target at least 30% quicker. I estimate that I was gaining an extra 500 fps muzzle velocity with the new Bushnell scope. [Wink]
(Either this or the bullet was traveling in a much straighter line thanks to the improved optics. In fact, prior to changing scopes I had even suspected my bullets were "wandering around" before striking anything.)

The only down side to putting the Bushnell on my rifle was the local gun club barred me from entering any more target matches. I was never a spectacular shot before...but they were afraid to go against me with this scope.
[Eek!]

This is the truth. Trust me! [Roll Eyes]

[ 07-31-2002, 08:47: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Well there you have it Pecos, I had it all bass akwards.. No matter, Ive decided to use the most fullproof targeting system ever mounted on a rifle. Iornsights! Of course this however will mean that I wont be getting any residual ballistic and/or terminal performance gains due to the "cramming as much cash into it as possible" factor, but I doubt if even the high end european optics are more reliable.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QB]Respect in my book is earned not dealt out do to age...

...and being a gentleman is not a title that someone commits to self. It is a lifelong endeavor that culminates with those around you proffering as a response by others to the question: "What do you think of him?" Somethings are lost on others. I am in total agreement that age plays no part in respect!

I know that charactor traits such as common courtesy, truthfulness, friendliness, respect, honesty, and consideration, (to name a few) are indeed the traits that someone who would strive to be a gentleman would possess. Above all, this would mean that one would need to "build up" others; to put others first. Being right or wrong never fits into the opinion column. A gentleman would ignore haughty remarks, yet strive to help others with his knowledge. A gentleman would'nt choose to antagonize someone else or belittle another just for the sake of "being right!"

This grandfather was brought up in the era of respect, as apparently others on this forum were. It was something to strive for; the era of the "friendly handshake" being honored as "good as gold!" It was unthinkable to not exhibit the best manners to others as possible! Fortunatly, this "gentlemanship," though a seemingly lost art to some, is still available, albeit in smaller circles. One can only hope that this trait is exibited somewhat more frequently in future posts here.

I will continue to ask questions and answer those that I feel I might contribute to. I will continue to ignore many... and mores the pity.

As others have said before, "your mileage may vary!"

best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
I think 7x57 and Bearhunt'r have said what a lot of us feel. I've been back about two weeks from 6 weeks away and the quality of the posts has gone down a bit and some of the familiar folks are seldom heard from, which is a loss for us all as there is a great deal of knowledge to be gleaned from some fine people. I was raised in the Southern U.S. and we were taught manners and the truth above all else. Good manners are free, don't cost one red cent, you can give them away at no cost to yourself and be way ahead of the game at the same time.

Saturday, I go into camp for about five or six weeks and I hope that things are back to normal around here when I get back. If you don't repect yourself enough to improve things a bit, do it for Saeed, he certainly deserves the respect for allowing us here and for providing these very useful and informative forums.

Joe