Notify
Tools

What is this critter?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
bewildered Anyone know?

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
coati or coatimundi

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tim

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And by the looks of it, a tail-less one at that!!

That email making the rounds of a series of trail cameras with various deer(coues BTW), javies, coatis, lion, and Mexicans wasnt in TX as the email says.. It is in southern AZ along the border..

I see coatis time to time while in the hills around here.. ALWAYS seem to see them when I am after deer or out Mearns quail huntng down here!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got that email too. Kinda funny though with the Mexicans in it!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
my buddy in AZ said their skins make some of the best leather.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always thought one would make a cool pet!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they usually have long striped tails, right? or am I thinking of something else?

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:

I used to work in a petshop. My boss bought one for his wife. Within six months it was living in a cage in the basement. They are evil hyperactive sons of bitches. I think a rabid raccoon would make a better pet.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:
they usually have long striped tails, right? or am I thinking of something else?
quote:
My boss bought one for his wife. Within six months it was living in a cage in the basement. They are evil hyperactive sons of bitches. I think a rabid raccoon would make a better pet."

I thought you guys were talkin about Mexicans! homer

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike7mm08:
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:

I used to work in a petshop. My boss bought one for his wife. Within six months it was living in a cage in the basement. They are evil hyperactive sons of bitches. I think a rabid raccoon would make a better pet.

Yeah, I figured by the looks of it, it had to be similar to a badger.

I got that e-mail too and it was driving me crazy what that thing was called. Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:
My boss bought one for his wife. Within six months it was living in a cage in the basement. They are evil hyperactive sons of bitches. I think a rabid raccoon would make a better pet."

I thought you guys were talkin about Mexicans! homer

You must read carefully...

They are evil hyperactive sons of bitches.

Sons of bithes maybe but hyperactives..?? bewildered

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Husband and his buddy were bear hunting in northern Az., last October, and this coati strolled right in front of where they were set up. I have seen plenty in southern AZ. but never any that far north. His buddy took the shot, as he had never seen a coati before, being from Mo. He is a yearling, but will make a nice mount.

Worked veterinary medicine for many years and back in the early 70's clients had some bizarre exotic pets. Had a client who had a kinkajou and coati, they were both nasty, mean little devils. They required canine vaccines...what a rodeo to get them vaccinated. Anything with canines as long as both of those animals have, would certainly make the average person think twice about owning them for a pet.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a BobCoon!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
bewildered Anyone know?

Nasua narica pallida (Coati mundi)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some may find this hard to believe but I've seen fox squirrels fully the size of that specimum in Mary Hilliard-Krueger's photo above. They look roughly the size of a small dog and are rare, but do occur. One about that size is mounted in the local sporting goods store. What made me think of it is that the one being held upside down in the photo does have a generally squirrel-like body outline/shape.

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
They're rare in Texas but can be found here in there (West and South Texas).

I shot one in the Yucatan last year. You can read about it in the next issue of Sporting Classics

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought you guys were talkin about Mexicans!

clap rotflmo

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gayne C. Young:
They're rare in Texas but can be found here in there (West and South Texas).

I shot one in the Yucatan last year. You can read about it in the next issue of Sporting Classics

Shameless plug!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Some may find this hard to believe but I've seen fox squirrels fully the size of that specimum in Mary Hilliard-Krueger's photo above. They look roughly the size of a small dog and are rare, but do occur. One about that size is mounted in the local sporting goods store. What made me think of it is that the one being held upside down in the photo does have a generally squirrel-like body outline/shape.

You have seen fox squirrels that weigh 35 pounds? BULLSHIT!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
Some may find this hard to believe but I've seen fox squirrels fully the size of that specimum in Mary Hilliard-Krueger's photo above. They look roughly the size of a small dog and are rare, but do occur. What made me think of it is that the one being held upside down in the photo does have a generally squirrel-like body outline/shape.

bsflag Not sure how you missed my statement that this coati is a yearling, so granted it is on the small size, but it sure isn't as small as a fox squirrel. Roll Eyes I spent 21 years of my youth in Ohio where fox squirrels are abundant and I have spent the last 22 years as a taxidermist and a taxidermist's wife and 14 years before that in veterinary medicine where I worked wildlife rehab and let me tell you the coati pictured is at least 12-15# and I have NEVER seen a 15# fox squirrel! Roll Eyes Adult coati's weigh 20#-30#. A large adult fox squirrel weighs about 3#. You must tell a heck of a fishing story.

Also, coati's are not 'rare', they are very elusive in the areas they do inhabit. I guess if one does not live in an area where they reside, understandibly, you might look at them as rare. Here in Arizona, I have seen many in my years. Coati's body shape is more cat like than squirrel.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Mary,

That's the firsttime I have seen you use your big-girl voice on here.

I always knew you were a tuffie! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a digital camera but I'll see if I can arrange something. The squirrel's not any 12-15. Since it's mounted it's kind of hard to tell anything about the weight. But the length with tail looks a little over two feet. And I'm guessing something like 5 lbs or slightly over. I did do a rough finger measurement on the width and it appears to be around four inches.

Fwiw I've been hunting roughly all three kinds here (gray, red and the occassional black we used to have) about half a century and a very few times have seen live ones that size. It doesn't have the white face or white in the tail like some of the older heavier fox squirrels I'm used to seeing.

Btw I was referring to the large squirrel not the coati as rare.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Hilliard-Krueger:
[ Also, coati's are not 'rare', they are very elusive in the areas they do inhabit. I guess if one does not live in an area where they reside, understandibly, you might look at them as rare. Here in Arizona, I have seen many in my years. Coati's body shape is more cat like than squirrel.

+1

I run into them about every time I hunt Coues in 36B. About five years ago, my oldest son and I were working our way up a ravine to a high point for glassing. As we rounded a bend, I spotted a coati in a tree. A few seconds later we saw a passel of them making their way along a game trail in single file. We counted 19 in all, but we probably missed a couple.

I have been wanting to shoot one for mounting, but every time we see them, it's early in the day. So rather than ruin the day's hunt, I usually let them be.

Shack,

Is there a nuclear power plant anywhere near the area with those giant squirrels?? Wink

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Could somebody post a picture of the Mexicanoes. I received the same email but for some reason that picture wasn't included. Maybe it was my damn spam filter or malware filter.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
It's a Nebraskan Chargin' Chipmunk....beware, mean bastages.....

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a nuclear power plant anywhere near the area with those giant squirrels??

How'd you guess??

I try to keep my word, and I said I would attempt to get pictures of that fox squirrel. I wasn't able to borrow a digital camera but I did go back to the store and took some measurements with the store folks' helping using a 36" ruler.

3 1/4" - body height in middle
4 1/4" - body width in middle
10 1/2" tail - like many old squirrel mounts much of the tail has fallen out
8" - body alone length without tail, neck or head
4 3/4" - front leg - shoulder to tip of foot
6" - hind leg tip of foot to body joint
9" - tip one hind foot to tip other hind foot with both feet compressed in toward body - would be longer if drawn out
4" - tip of nose to neck/body joint
2 1/2" - ear to ear
1 3/4" - eye to eye

So overall is 22 1/2" and body is basically 4 1/4" x 3 1/4".

Weight unknown. Maybe the pros here can figure from the dimensions. Store helpers guessed 5 lb.

And, I know what's coming..."hey, I've killed lots of 'um much bigger than that..."

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Those squirrel dimensions -- except for the est. weight -- sound close to what our Kaibab squirrels in AZ would be. The Abert's (tassel-eared) version here would be a tad smaller. Weight for either is probably closer to two to three lbs. rather than five.

BUT...that is still a far stretch from an adult coati that can be close to 4 feet long with tail and weigh 15 lbs to more than 20 lbs. for a large one.

This is an Abert's.

Description: A large tree squirrel. Dark, grizzled gray above with darker sides and reddish back; belly white. Tail above similar to back, but bordered with white and with whitish cast. Tail white below. Tasseled ears reddish on back, about 1 3/4" (44 mm) long, with tufts or "tassels" extending about 3/4" (18–20 mm) beyond ear tips. Tassels much reduced or even lacking in summer. In parts of Colorado, these squirrels are all black (melanistic). L 18 1/4–23" (463–584 mm); T 7 1/4–10 1/8" (185–255 mm); HF 2 5/8–3 1/8" (66–78 mm); Wt 24–32 oz (681–908 g).

Kaibab subspecies:

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote