New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food Plots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I hunt with a group of people in northern Columbia county PA, on about 350 acres of land. We are right now interested in getting started with some food plots. However, our soil is extremely bad(very acidic). right now we have some small plots plowed up and are beginning to plant some buckwheat and corn in them. Next year we will see about liming.

What are some good crops to plant for deer and turkey(mainly deer) that do well in more acidic soil? I know deer will devower the corn, but do not really know about the buckwheat. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanx in adavnce. Ryan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have limed with pelletized lime when I planted the buckwheat. This type of lime works for up to 3 yrs and is more cost effective.

Per buckwheat, as you will see it draws the deer and other animals very well. It and velvet beans are the most effective draw I have ever planted for deer.

One word of caution. Frost zaps buckwheat quick so be prepared to come right behind it with oats for the late season crop.

That's the combination I use presently, buckwheat in late summer and buck forage oats for fall/winter/spring.

[Cool]

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
You might want to try some sunflowers