Find
Notify
Tools

pronghorn in calif.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted
Ok, I put in for pronghorn again this year in Calif. With a preference point I might get drawn for the Lassen area. Anyone want to share a decent area? I have a buddy in F&G that just moved up there, I hope he has some suggestions by the opener (if I get drawn). ANy help would be appreciated.

[ 05-29-2003, 12:30: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted Pronghorn once in Ca. and have gone along once as a guest. If you draw, be sure to attend the orientation presentation put on by DFG. You can pick up the latest maps and mark the concentration areas of all the local herds in your area. You don't need any "special spots." There are plenty of good bucks and the hunter success is very high. In fact, about 1% of the kill are B&C animals every year.
Mine, shot in 1988, went 84 4/8ths. 16.5 inches around the short horn.
Practice shooting at longer ranges. Know your limitations. Hunt with the sun behind you, early and late. Don't shoot at any bucks running with other animals. The best bucks are usually alone, etc. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks ER for the input. Is the DFG orientation something they send you info on when they send your tag? I know I'm being optimistic on the draw, but I'm on roll w/ tags this year, I drew elk in Montana back to back years, so I'm hopefull.
My first speedgoat hunt was a couple of years ago in Montana. I took a nice little 13" buck, but the stalk was the best. I practiced out to 400yds, took my 7mm Dakota in anticipation of a long shot & ended up w/ a 120yd chip shot on an unsuspecting buck. Pronghorn are great fun to hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred 338:

I have seen quite a few Pronghorn in NE Califoria heading down route 39 towards Alturas.

Another spot is I seen them all the time is when I got down to Truckee. The routes I take are 89 down until Old Station and then down 44 until it hits 36 heading into Susanville.

44 is just East of Mt Lassen. I have seen several good sized herds on the East side of 44.
Don't know if the land is private or not.

The animals I have seen are some real respectable ones.

Good luck.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Fred,

Try searching on this antelope forum. There are California hunters there who have posted their hunts for about 2 years back.

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/forums/index.php?act=SF&f=5

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DFG will send you the date, time and location of the orientation sessions if you draw. They also include hunting tips, some mounted heads to help you pick a really good buck, and caping/care tips, etc. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep you posted if I draw.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I drew and X zone deer tag two seasons ago and could of killed a few great antelope. I cant wait for my lope tag

Posts: 39 | Location: Sacramento Ca. | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Herb D>
posted
Good luck on getting drawn!

It only took me 19 years to get a buck tag. Then after getting a buck, the wife and I both drew doe tags so we were fortunate to hunt speed goats 3 years in a row around Dorris. It was definitely more fun than deer hunting.

My waiting period will be up this year so I can apply next year but CA's new point system puts me 2 points behind. [Frown]

Oh well, there's always Montana and Wyoming!

Herb D