Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for an Antelope hunt for 2
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted
Or maybe 4 if my buddy and I can get our daughters to come along.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

John

Posts: 1678 | Registered: 16 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Hunt: I was just there in Fall City a couple weeks ago! Its a shame the Fall City Firearms store has been "eminent domained" by the State! I hear this is their last week! I bought a lot of guns from them over the years!
I worked with the original owner for 29 years on his other job - good man!
If you are looking for a do it yorself Hunt then keep an eye on Montana here in 2,007! The populations are VERY strong in the eastern part of the state. And if the winter remains as mild as it is now, there will be more excellent Hunting for Antelope this coming fall in eastern Montana.
Get your tags, get your daughters and reserve rooms early in Miles City or Baker or Ekalaka and get after'em!
I am pretty sure that Antelope populations in Wyoming are strong as well but I have not Hunted Antelope there since I moved to Montana 9 years ago. I used to Hunt both states for Antelope (when I got drawn for both which was about 60% of the time) each year when I lived out your way.
The Antelope in SW Montana are doing just amazingly well but the odds of drawing in these areas is much less (about 5 to 15% chance in SW Montana as compared to 50% chance for you as a non-resident over in eastern Montana).
Good luck and I hope you can talk the girls into going along.
I am pretty sure the Antelope Rifle opener will be on Sunday October 7th 2,007. It always opens Sunday the day before Columbus Day (which is always a Monday and this year its October 8th).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I wrote a lot of letters and called a lot of people at the state about FC Firearms and the garden store next door (collectively known as guns and roses). They are destroying two businesses for the sake of building a round-a-bout. Drives me nuts.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Here's what I would do: Log onto the New Mexico Game & Fish website and look at the lists they publish on which ranches get tags and how many they get. Use the contact information they provide and contact the land owners. You may be able to purchase tags for a lot less than what an "outfitter" will charge you for the same tag. A lot of these ranches will provide food and lodging for the weekend of the hunt, but then they mostly aren't all that far from a hotel room either. Eastern New Mexico has some nice goats and pretty country to hunt them in.

Just an idea.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2942 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a brother-in-law who sells his land owner tags to a guy who brokers them. I don't know what you pay for them but I can get you the Brokers name and number if you would like. These are not guided hunts pretty much a do-it-yourself kind of thing. There are also no guarantees of a trophy class buck but there are plenty of animals out there and most of the time the hunters tag out. My brother-in-law's ranch is in southeastern part of the State about 20 miles North of Ordway, CO.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I have a no-draw option in Montana, plentiful antelope and a very good outfitter.

~Ann

Posts: 19512 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JohnHunt
posted Hide Post
Can you send details?

Thanks,

John

jhunt@hunthosted.com

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
taylorce1:

You have a PM

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rainman1882
posted Hide Post
I might be able to do a little help for a small favor. How is the fishing by you? Big Grin

Posts: 120 | Location: eastern montana | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote