THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Does anyone have a "Perfect Shot" diagram for Mt. Goat?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have a "Perfect Shot" diagram for Mt. Goat?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted
I'm leaving Monday for a Mt. Goat hunt in Alaska's Prince William Sound area 6D.

I've never hunted Mt. goat before and would like to see a "Perfect Shot" type picture of their anatomy to give me a better idea of proper shot placement.

I'm sure my guide will discuss this before we start hunting, but I would like some time to mentally rehearse the sight picture.

People say that it is generally not too difficult getting within range of a goat; the trick is to drop him in his tracks before he can jump off the mountain and wind up as a pile of goo 4,000 ft below. That being the case, I want to be sure to place the first shot correctly.

I did an internet search on "mountain goat anatomy" but didn't find anything useful. I know Boddington has recently published a North American version of The Perfect Shot.

Could someone post the mountain goat page please?

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hola, Mark.

I did not take the time to browse through all pages but I think you'll probably find what you're lookoing for in this site: http://www.state.ak.us/adfg/

regards,

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Hello Montero!

Thanks for the link to Alaska Fish and Game.

Unfortunately I had already looked there, and beieve it or not, they don't have any pictures, photos or descriptions anywhere on the website dealing with shot placement on Mt. Goats!

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark in SC:
I'm sure my guide will discuss this before we start hunting, but I would like some time to mentally rehearse the sight picture.

People say that it is generally not too difficult getting within range of a goat; the trick is to drop him in his tracks before he can jump off the mountain and wind up as a pile of goo 4,000 ft below. That being the case, I want to be sure to place the first shot correctly.

Hi Mark,

I am one of what seems like just a few people that don't entirely believe in that old theory. I have posted on the topic a few times, so I won't re-type it all here. Here is a link, however, to one of my older posts on the subject if you are interested in reading it...

http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004004#000005

Best of luck on your hunt. I am sure you will have the time of your life. Goat hunting can be addictive. [Smile]

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I am still waiting to draw a Montana RMG tag, hopefully I'll draw before I can't get up the mountain. [Frown] I am not sure if they are any tougher than the Hym. Tahr, but I am sure they are as difficult to hunt in their lofty terrain. The Tahr I killed in NZ took one 160grNP from my 7mag, thru the shoulder, angling down thru the lungs. Of course there was an exit, the range was about 120yds. He ran in a semi circle along the cliff for about 50yds & fell off. Fortunately we were above a slid area & he gently rolled 100ft or so & stopped. If he had of been on a shear ledge I would have lost him, then again I passed a shot earlier due to that exact situation.
I don't know if Canuck's theory would work, he has hunted them more than I, but the surest way to drop him quick is w/ a good spine shot. Remember the spine rides lower than appears due to the
"hump" caused by the vertabre protrusions. Good luck on your trip. The RM goat is one animal I really want to hunt.

[ 10-10-2003, 23:41: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
Remember the spine rides lower than appears due to the "hump" caused by the vertabre protrusions.

Good tip. And you are right, a forward spine shot should anchor them, but its a little tricky.

My first goat launched itself 1200 ft after I tried to anchor it with my 300 WM. I broke its spine behind the shoulder. It managed to drag itself with its front legs about 30m along a ledge. Then it tried to jump a small gap but its hind legs didn't make it. It held on there for about a split second before falling backwards into oblivion.

On the way down it free-fell most of the way, but hit one ledge squarely with its head. It finally landed on a talus slope and slid another 100m or so before coming to rest.

After I scrambled down to it, I was amazed (and horrified) to find it was still alive -- with one horn broken clean off and its back end still paralized, it was dragging itself downhill away from me! I shot it two more times before it was still.

That was one of the lousiest experiences I have ever had in the hunting fields, and is the reason I decided there had to be a better way. One of my very good friends had already started practicing the theory I have proposed in previous posts. So I tried it on my next goat, and it works. Maybe not every single time, but it works. Other friends have also verified it since as well.

Are goats hard to kill with a well placed shot from any reasonable calibre? No.
But are goats tough? Darn tootin.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
I finally broke down this afternoon and called Safari Press to order a copy of the North American Perfect Shot by Boddington.

The book won't arrive until I'm already on the mountain in Alaska, but I asked the salesperson to do me a favor and fax me the pages relating to Mountain Goats.

They had some difficulty getting the fax through, I guess because the photos were tough to scan and receive without errors, but, after numerous tries, they managed to fax me three pages. Two of them are photos of a broadside billy goat. On the first it shows aiming points superimposed on the goat. On the second photo the vital organs are painted over the photo.

It appears that the way to hit a goat in the heart/lung area is to aim just behind the front leg, about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up the chest from the brisket.

Thanks for your responses, Canuck. Your theory makes sense to me, I'll give it a try when the time comes and let you know what happens.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken two Goats in Washington, 1984 and 1993.

Yes it important to drop them quick.

The first on I had a slighty head on shot, missed his head and broke his back. He rolled over and got his front feet under him and started to drag himslef down hill toward a clif.
The second shot broke both front shoulders and he then tumbled about 20 more feet. He had 10 more feet to reach the edge of the cliff.
Caliber 35 Whelen.

The second one was bedded down on a slope, full side profile. Shot him thru both shoulders, he almost got up and then rolled 50 feet down the rocks to an snow pack. Caliber 30-06

Goats are TOUGH, bust as many bones as possible, better yet would be to shoot one in the neck if possible.

The hump they have is a lot of hair and the bone structure is a little differnt.

Have a good trip and hunt.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote