New
Find
Notify
Tools

suggestions on new cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a M700BDL, 30/06 that I am not really fond of. I also have .17 Rem, .221 Fireball, 22/250, .243, 6mm, 7 Rem Mag, another 30/06, and .338 Win. I would like to change the 700BDL into a 6mmAI or maybe a .280 or a 6.5/06. What would you do. I would most likely send it to Pac-Nor and stock it myself with a Richards Microfit. Any ideas? Thanks.

Posts: 65 | Location: oregon | Registered: 09 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion FWIW is the 6.5/06. With the Barnes Triple Shock 130 gn it would be a wickedly flat shooting machine that would definately kill on the other end............JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What JJ said, just would probably use a 120 XXX!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5x06 and have killed several deer and a couple elk with the 140gr Hornady. Mine is a 70BDL also. I had a 25" #4 contor Shilen barrel put on it with a 1-9" twist, would rather have had the 1-8". Today I don't hunt with it anymore, I use my 6.5x55 instead. The 6.5x06 I'm working on making a rifle for sporting rifle match. Just started working with 140gr Sierra MK's and am seeing some great group's. Shot a couple today right at .350" at 100. Prior to this match business I started using 129 gr Hornady's and was getting 2929fps at 10' and getting group's well under one minute at 400yds.

I really like the 280 Rem also but having the 7mm Rem mag, it would be of little use. Ballistics of the two are so close that it's tit for tat with those two. Again I've had both and today my preference would be for the 280 Rem over the 7mm mag.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday bshooter,

6.5-06 I think would be more efficient than the 7RM with much the same result. 130 accubond would be the go to for deer etc at about 3000fps.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bshooter:
....What would you do....

You seem to have the bases covered pretty well. To me this just seems to say "35 Whelen". If I had your arsenal that is what I would do.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Pacnor Barrel is a great choice and 6.5-06 is a awsome round. If I was you I would make one change I would send my rifle to Weaver Rifles and have him put a Pacnor barrel on. It will cost almost the same a having Pacnor do it , but the quality of kevins work is verey high. He has built three rifles for me and I have three more actions at his shop for future projects.

DR B

Weaver Rifles
16850 Sage Creek Rd.
Peyton CO 80831
(719)683-3024
(719)337-0501

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-06 or its A/I variant has tremendous potential for speed & accuracy as well as filling an opening in your arsenal. If you are looking to maximize its performance, you might consider a Rock Creek barrel, 1-10 twist, Berger 130 grain VLD bullets & having an accredited smith like K. Weaver do the chambering. JMO

Dave

Posts: 87 | Location: High Above the Timberline | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bshooter: I would definitely go with the 280 Remington caliber!
I have a custom 280 built on a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 action with a 25" Douglas barrel! This Rifle has served me exceptionally well in that I have killed Elk, Black Bear, Mule Deer, Mt. Goat, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer with it!
Be sure and check into the ballistic performance of this fine caliber and investigate all the wonderful bullets that are available in this caliber!
Best of luck with whichever caliber you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite caliber's is 280, which I would go with if I didn't have one. But a 6.5-06 would be really neat too.
On the other hand a rifle like a 375 on a improved 06 case would be tempting for me also.

"There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a 30-06." Lindy Wisdom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5-06

Posts: 257 | Location: The Greatest Country on Earth! | Registered: 04 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
6.5-06 would be a real neat addition to the existing group you have. Definitely a cart not many folks have.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
6.5-06

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sodakota:
On the other hand a rifle like a 375 on a improved 06 case would be tempting for me also.

I would like to have a 375 Hawk or mybe a 411 hawk.
http://www.z-hat.com/HawkCartridges.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
280, the selection of bullets and the ballistic's of the 7mm calibers makes this the most outstanding cartridge. Have been shooting one since its 7mm express days. Reload and get 3000 fps with 139/140 grain bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
bshooter,

Have the chamber of your current M700 BDL .30-06 Springfield reamed to a .30-06 Ackley Improved. .300 H&H performance in an efficient and balanced cartridge. Try this before re-barreling.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
bshooter,

Have the chamber of your current M700 BDL .30-06 Springfield reamed to a .30-06 Ackley Improved. .300 H&H performance in an efficient and balanced cartridge. Try this before re-barreling.
my advice exactly

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My current pet is the original version of the 280Rem... NO, not the 7mmExpress but the 7X64Breneke. The two are virtually identical save a cew thou. diameter at the head and about fifty years age difference. That said the 7X64 has served me well. Bullet selection for it (& the 280) is great. Recoil and blast are very managable for almost anyone. It's pretty ecconomical to load and it seems to be one of those calibers that "just does it without a lot of fuss."

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Pac Nor and the 6.5-06. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WyoJoe:

You seem to have the bases covered pretty well. To me this just seems to say "35 Whelen". If I had your arsenal that is what I would do.

Excellent choice! +1.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. The possibility of a larger bore diameter never occurred to me, all though it is facinating, it would probably spend most of it's time in the safe next to the .338. The .280 is simply too close, ballistically, to the 7 mag. however, if I were to build a lightweight, it would no doubt be a .280. For now, I'll check out the 6.5/06 and it's variations. The Hawk line is very interesting.

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bshooter:
I have a M700BDL, 30/06 that I am not really fond of. I also have .17 Rem, .221 Fireball, 22/250, .243, 6mm, 7 Rem Mag, another 30/06, and .338 Win. I would like to change the 700BDL into a 6mmAI or maybe a .280 or a 6.5/06. What would you do. I would most likely send it to Pac-Nor and stock it myself with a Richards Microfit. Any ideas? Thanks.

You will find the 6mmAI is similar to the 6mm as is the 280 similar to the 7 mag.

The 375 Hawk was listed as a choice and I agree. http://www.z-hat.com/Handloader166.htm

Similar to your 338 win mag with less powder, no belt and a larger bullet leaving a dramatic impression on big game animals.

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the .280 & the .338-06, but you already have a .338wm & a 7rm. Soooo, how about a 9.3x62 or 9.3x64? You have quite a bit of overlap but no bigger bores. PacNor is a great choice for bbls. I now have 4 rifles wearing PacNors. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35 Whelen
9.3 x 62

If you are willing to change the boltface:
375 Ruger
416 Taylor

"No game is dangerous unless a man is close up"
Teddy Roosevelt 1885.

Posts: 211 | Location: SEAK USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds as if your arsenal needs a 270 win or a 9.3x62!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by driftwood:
280, the selection of bullets and the ballistic's of the 7mm calibers makes this the most outstanding cartridge. Have been shooting one since its 7mm express days. Reload and get 3000 fps with 139/140 grain bullets.

I agree. .280 Remington

Also has minimal recoil to boot

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very fond of the .280, but...

Since you already have a 7mag, of the 2, I would go for the 6.5-06. Its a great round.

But if you are willing to consider something bigger, the 9.3x62 is tough to beat. Actually, I would consider the 6.5-06 and the 9.3x62 a fine 2 gun battery that is as good as any!

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
35 whelen would be an excellent choice. If you haven't had experience with the cartridge you'll really be glad you did imho. Out of the calibers listed 280 is a good one.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go with the 6.5 get a 1 in 8" twist barrel, if its the Whelen get the 1 in 12". I have a 6.5X55 in a rem 700 classic and its 1 in 8" twist stablilizes everything with excellent accuracy.

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
A 6.5/06 does sound intriging, but in all honesty I cant see why one would go through the trouble of dealing with such a wildcat when 270 Win ammo can be found on virtually every ammo shelf in the country. Of corse some folks see THAT as a reason to go with the odd cartridge. I guess it comes back to whatever makes you happy, Ive got a couple "out of the ordinary" chamberings myself but wouldnt change them for the world. Wink

As for the 280, Ive got two on the shelf, one on the workbench and am contemplating yet another. Love that cartridge..

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
For not much more than the cost of a re-barrel from Pac-Nor you can buy a CZ 550 in 9.3x62 and become one of us super cool elite guys who have and use one.

Do a search on what some of these guys have done in reworking that CZ stock. Nice piece of Turkish walnut hiding there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Friend you haven't told us anything about your other rifles, except caliber, or your hunting. What if you were to send the rifle in to Rifles Inc. and come home with a 5 lb 6.5-284? Or, if you decide you don't like the rifle once it arrives, you could sell it to me! jumping

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't short change the 280. Very versatile and lots of bullets to choose from.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cobrad, my others are all sporter weight hunting style rifles except for the 22/250, which is a varminter. The majority of my shooting is at ground squirrels and a few rock chucks. I hunt deer with a muzzle loader and elk with a centerfire, depending on if I draw a tag. The new one will be primarily for long distance squirrels and chucks. One of these days I would like to go for pds. When that happens, I'll likely get a .223 or a 204 to go with the fireball, 22/250, and this new one. I would like a .280 but I've got the 7 mag already and if I got a .280, it would probably just sit in the safe with the others. For now, I'm leaning toward 6.5/06. Others have suggested 9.3x62. It would just be another sitter. The .270, while being an excellent cartridge, is just plain boring.jmho. Thanks to all for their input. It is very much appreciated. bss

one of us
posted Hide Post
OOOH, I love shooting varmints. I have a Cooper 22-250 for PD's, and a .243 Kimber Montana for those above timberline marmots. After much load development, both are wicked accurate. So here's my revised vote: go with the 6.5-06 and an 8 twist barrel for the most excellent JLK (available again at swampworks.com) VLD 130 and 140 grain bullets. I am guessing the action will be trued and a trigger job or aftermarket trigger added. Personally, I like a field rifle better than a benchrest type for varmints, so I would put on a 26" #5 taper barrel, and add Talley rings/bases and a Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20 scope. If you're going for the really long shots, 1000 yards or more, maybe a 30" #7 taper and a bench type stock. Man, I think I have to excuse myself and head for the reloading room! Big Grin

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the 9.3x62. I had my 06 re-barreled to 9.3 and it is now my favorite gun. You can really do a lot with that caliber. It works from deer to big bears. It's sorta the Labrador Retriever of rifles.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Argali:
The 6.5-06 or its A/I variant has tremendous potential for speed & accuracy as well as filling an opening in your arsenal. If you are looking to maximize its performance, you might consider a Rock Creek barrel, 1-10 twist, Berger 130 grain VLD bullets & having an accredited smith like K. Weaver do the chambering. JMO

Dave

I have a 6.5-06 with a Shilen 1:10 twist barrel. I wish it was 1-8 so I could use heavy VLD bullets.

Posts: 37 | Location: SE WY | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .300 H&H Magnum is a caliber I rather like. It has that certain mystique about it that I just always thought cool.

What I would like in it is a pre 64 M70. But they ain't cheap. So the idea of one in a 700 is something I could get interested in. Think about it in a 26", assuming it could be done.

Weatherby calibers would be interesting too. 240, 257, 270, 7mm or 300.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HalS:
quote:
Originally posted by Argali:

Dave

I have a 6.5-06 with a Shilen 1:10 twist barrel. I wish it was 1-8 so I could use heavy VLD bullets.

Dude, this thread is 6 years old... Confused

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote