New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damn slob hunters!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went up to the gas station very near my house to get some fuel.

Two guys walk in talking to each other.
Guy #1 "Did you get him.?"
Guy #2 "No, I missed"
#1 "A big one?"
#2 "No just some little trash buck."
Me "Muzzle loader?"
#2 "yeah"
Me "Yeah those things can be finicky. Clean miss?"
#2 " Yeah, I think so. It just stood there and looked at me when I shot at it. It was at about 120 yds. I'm afraid to shoot it now, that was the first time I ever shot it."
Me "What?"
#1 "Had it been cleaned?"
#2" No, I said it was the first time I ever shot it."

I walked out before I shot off my mouth and started an argument. Guy #2 is a local deputy sheriff. He lives about a mile from me and has asked a couple times to hunt my property.
He takes a muzzle loader which has only one shot, which he has never shot in his life, and takes a shot at a deer at 120 yards. Hopefully it was a clean miss. He had a very good chance of causing a slow fatal injury to that "trash buck", probably because he is too lazy to get his lazy ass off the couch and shoot his gun.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
So what makes this guy a "redneck"?

I happen to be a redneck myself, and I take offense to you using the term "redneck" to describe a slob hunter.

I shoot my guns nearly every day, and happen to have just walked in the door from the range this morning.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. I'll see if I can edit the title.

One of Us
Picture of LeeH
posted Hide Post
Hi Jeff,

One of my friends says, "I've never been in a coal mine!"

Origin of "Red Neck"

Posts: 87 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're offended by the post, you might just be a redneck, indeed...

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You cannot cure "ignorant". Hence, a hunting license as well as guns should be issued/owned after demonstrated competentcy.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vinny, thus begins the slippery slope. I agree that hunter education might be necessary for the priviledge of a hunting license, but I do not need a license or competency test for the other Amendments, so I will never go along with them for the second Amendment. That one is a right.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which introduces the question: does the 2nd, in fact, defend hunting as a right? Or does it just pretain to the ownership of firearms?

Posts: 98 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 2nd has nothing at all to do with hunting. The 10th. though does.

Posts: 41871 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be wise to have a hunter competence test like a lot of Europe (not that I approve just thinking out loud)

I know a few guys that wait until the "free day" at the range to shoot and then never again for the rest of the year. Although I don't know anybody so stupid to never have shot a gun before they go hunting.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are all the deputy sheriffs in your county as bright as "guy #2" ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MThuntr:
I'm starting to wonder if it wouldn't be wise to have a hunter competence test like a lot of Europe (not that I approve just thinking out loud)

I know a few guys that wait until the "free day" at the range to shoot and then never again for the rest of the year. Although I don't know anybody so stupid to never have shot a gun before they go hunting.

I would gladly support this idea.

I know two people that went hunting the first time and fired a gun at a deer in Colorado on their first pull of a trigger. Both missed.

Posts: 265 | Location: Hammertown, USA | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm very often shocked by the lack of skill and lack of hunters ethics when it comes to local law enforcement.
And I have pretty unbelievable stories when it comes to local law enforcement. One of the town cops was in the local gun shop when the issue of 2nd amendment rights came up. He said he was ready willing and able to go door to door confiscating privately owned guns.
And I have more stories.

quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i missed it - where did the original poster call anyone a redneck or did I completely miss it??

regarding the 2nd amendment and all that, the hunting license is just that, a license. in other words, the state gives the individual the privilege. i fully support the notion of the hunter having to pass a shooting competency test say, every 5 years to maintain a high standard. and if you're a non resi hunter then maybe it oughta be when you arrive on location you have to pass or not go hunting.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would gladly support a competency requirement to get a hunting license.

Owning a gun, and hunting, are two unrelated issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I originally used redneck instead of slob hunter, I edited it.

quote:
Originally posted by jsl3170:
i missed it - where did the original poster call anyone a redneck or did I completely miss it??

regarding the 2nd amendment and all that, the hunting license is just that, a license. in other words, the state gives the individual the privilege. i fully support the notion of the hunter having to pass a shooting competency test say, every 5 years to maintain a high standard. and if you're a non resi hunter then maybe it oughta be when you arrive on location you have to pass or not go hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
One of the town cops was in the local gun shop when the issue of 2nd amendment rights came up. He said he was ready willing and able to go door to door confiscating privately owned guns.
And I have more stories.

It sounds like he really does not care much for anyone's rights. I would be leary of LEO's with that kind of attitude.
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
See them time to time. 100 LBS overweight and growing roots into a atv seat and not about to get off.

I saw one of these guys out on the plains. He was pretty proud of the 9 Inch antelope he shot at 150 yds from the road with a 300 win.mag.

Until he saw the 15 incher I walked 4 miles for.
The color just ran out of him like air from a balloon when he saw the product of a real stalk.

He said how did you get him. I pointed to a large expanse of BLM land. He said but there are no roads in there. I said exactly what I was looking for. A spot where all the fat lazy slobs could not go on the atvs.
Too funny. He had all the new stuff too. More of a hunting enthusiast and a gadget freak than an actual hard core hunter.

I remember and old saying from the gymnasium way back from middle school.

"Winners never cheat" "Cheaters never win"
Timan

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
You cannot cure "ignorant". Hence, a hunting license as well as guns should be issued/owned after demonstrated competentcy.

quote:
Guy #2 is a local deputy sheriff.

I would bet that a deputy sheriff would have had firearms training and competency tests.

This reminds me of an incident with my ex-wife's son. He had just completed his Hunter Safety course and was proud of his test score of 98 out of a possible 100. The course consisted of five evening classes and four hours at the range. Luckily no one else was home when he went into my gun room and started playing with one of my hunting rifles. He loaded it and proceeded to put a bullet through the open door, through both walls of the family room, both walls of the water heater room, and both walls of his sister's bedroom.

He passed Hunter Safety with flying colors, but didn't learn a thing.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeeH:
Hi Jeff,

One of my friends says, "I've never been in a coal mine!"

Origin of "Red Neck"
Redneck was used long before coal mines...

RED NECK used before COAL mines

While I am not offended by the term REDNECK, as really no one should be, SLOB HUNTER is a better title.
SLOB HUNTER also is a term that should be used for those who do not pick up their campsite, and those who shoot road signs.
If I ever catch someone shooting a road sign, it might be their last one. Wink

Shooting roadsigns and general stupid freakin behavior just gives the anti's more ammunition.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
I can't abide a slob hunter! I've seen a few.

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gbanger
posted Hide Post
The guy who had never fired his muzzleloader until he shot at a deer reminds me of 2 brothers who hunt on my place. Their dad started bringing them when they were pretty young. They had always used Enfields and other iron sighted surplus rifles. Well, their cousin bought a 300 Win mag. They just had to out do him. The next year they each showed up with a 338 Rem Ultra mag when they first came out. I think they had to go in together on a box of cartridges. I asked how many shots did they think they would need to get them sighted in. They just gave me a blank look and assured me they had been boresighted by the dealer that sold them the rifles. I figured that the wildlife was safe, but damn if they didn't connect with both deer and feral hogs including a head shot on about a 30 pounder. The luck of the naive.

Gpopper

Posts: 296 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it take more than riding an ATV to be a “Slob Hunter”. I know three individuals that have respiratory or heart ailments preventing them from walking to a hunting area. They would not be able to hunt at all if it were not for ATVs, trails, roads, and very gracious land owners. I hope I still have the determination to do the things I love when I my health has deteriorated and I am of a similar age. As to the need for a competency test prior to issuing a hunting license: Seems to me that the “No Child Left Behind” experiment has become “No Child Left Untested” state where improvement is minimal but we pretend we are addressing the issues. Think about a “No hunter left untested” program; do you really want to have to take an eyesight test, hearing test, physical ability test, an ethics test, and a knowledge test just to get a hunting license? All of these areas are what goes into making a competent hunter and unless you, as a lifelong hunter, are willing to submit to some bureaucrat’s judgment about your competence, I would suggest that putting up with the incompetent hunters out there is a better alternative. I, for one, am unwilling to submit to the judgment of the unknowing and the uncaring to be “allowed” to hunt.

Posts: 222 | Location: Central Iowa | Registered: 16 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impingement:
Does it take more than riding an ATV to be a “Slob Hunter”
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
See them time to time. 100 LBS overweight and growing roots into an atv seat and not about to get off.
I believe it was implied that they were overweight and LAZY, too. You musta missed that part.

I also know several people who ride ATV’s to hunt because they hunt miles off a public road AND then they hike another two or three through terrain the ATV’s either cannot or should not cover.

I took the comment to mean lazy and slobbish, not someone who is legitimately handicapped.

I hunt with a couple guys who are handicapped. One has a knee replacement and the other knee soon to follow, and the other with a very bad disc condition in his back.

I never thought that comment pertained to someone like them.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to the need for a competency test prior to issuing a hunting license: Seems to me that the “No Child Left Behind” experiment has become “No Child Left Untested”

Actually, No Child Left Behind is a policy that says that all students must PASS the test. It wouldn't be a problem if the looser students just failed and that was the end of it. Even the students who refuse to fill out the test are expected to pass under this program.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that, Frank, is the problem with our school system. Can't hurt the feelings of the folks that have been here 200 years and can't speak english so we dumb down the test to the point where a door stop can pass and try to tell folks we have up lifted the oppressed.
Perhaps the goal statement should be: "No child not given the opportunity", or better yet, "No parent not held accountable".
Tell me that wouldn't bring screams from both colours. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've seen this before. A guy who hasn't shot his rifle but still goes hunting. This past weekend my son called in a coyote for a young man and We both decided to let the new guy have the first shot. About 350 yds. was as close as my son could bring him. The guy shot, missed and then told us he had just traded for the rifle earlier in the week. That was the first time he had shot it. It was his last shot that day. I have no idea why some hunters will do this. Guess these rifles are supposed to come out of the box perfect.

Posts: 197 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are correct, I blew over the growing roots part. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I have one friend that cannot get off the ATV except to winch the kill on the skid and then tow it back to the site where the rest of the party can help dress it. I thought I was tough until I started looking at what some of these handicapped people go through to hunt. Maybe I will grow into it in a few more years, Lord knows I am growing into the handicapped part with back issues. Thanks again for the correction

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The school system worked much better when future college student went to advanced class, and future car mechanics went to shop.
And those with a predisposition to say "would you like fries with that", because they are too smart for school, get out of school and on with their career, instead of wasting the teachers time.
quote:
Originally posted by stillbeeman:
And that, Frank, is the problem with our school system. Can't hurt the feelings of the folks that have been here 200 years and can't speak english so we dumb down the test to the point where a door stop can pass and try to tell folks we have up lifted the oppressed.
Perhaps the goal statement should be: "No child not given the opportunity", or better yet, "No parent not held accountable".
Tell me that wouldn't bring screams from both colours. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not mean to hijack the thread, I just used the school situation to illustrate the poor job testing does to predict future performance and how competency tests for hunters might become an unmanagable mess and actually hinder us from enjoying the pastime. If we want less "slob" hunters out there, we need to work on being examples and try to convert them to a better way of thinking. With a little luck, maybe one or two percent will take the ball and run with it. I sincerely appreciate those that helped me improve over my lifetime instead of treating me with contempt. This is especially important to me since I dropped out of school after eighth grade and later retired by age 42. I did not get from being a dropout to retiring by age 42 without many mentors and other people showing me the way. I urge you to do the same for the "slob" hunters you meet. You might actually make a convert.

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Testing hunters? Are you all drinking the president O-Blow-me coolaid? WTF? Have you lost your mind? Hunting is a learned skill. We will always have the novice hunter. It is our job to educate them. If you just sit and bitch what have you accomplished? Squat! Become an active hunting advocate and explain the situation. Perhaps they may listen.

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The country where I live and hunt is very small and very crowded. We require a fairly thourough traiing and a consecuent test before a hunter can get his license, by a rifle and go hunting. The training includes both theoretical aspects of game species, some forestry science, hunting techniques, firearms, dogs, hunting and gun law and first of all hunting safety. They even show you how to gut and butcher your first deer.

It works pretty well here, it basically keeps a high percentage of slobs away because there is time and money involved, also because it keeps the hunting safer, less crowded and more affordable for us.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote