New
Find
Notify
Tools

OOOOW that smell
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just went in my gun vault which is basically a big closet strengthened a hell of a lot. I notices a weird smell. It smelled like fish. Upon investigation, I think my freezer containing deer, quail, pheasant, chukar, desert big horn and bison has an issue. I can see where the blood drained. Yet everything is frozed.

So much for all of the wild game in there.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It happened to me...I got lucky and caught it before total thaw and hightaled to buy a new freezer!

Sorry to hear, it realy sux!

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, happened to me once too...went on vacation, came home to find my garage floor around my freezer covered with dried blood and everything in the freezer (upright) frozen around the shelving, each other, etc.
Lost a little more than two whole deer, a bobcat pelt, several raccoon pelts, and a bunch of other stuff. (Pelts were on the bottom level of freezer, food was on shelves above, separated from fur)

Hate it for ya, for sure... Frowner

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths."

Posts: 411 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: 10 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Yep, it happens and it sucks!!! Been there done that and NEVER want to go back!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes the frost-free models are too frost free. They defrost too much and then refreeze.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I had a thermostat problem. When I found it everything was frozen yet it was obvious that it had not been at some time.

I had no where to dump the meat on a Sunday. Everything appeared frozen. I waited until this morning where I could have a place to take it. I opened the door. OMG!!! Everything had melted. Blood was everywhere. I will bet that Jeffrey Dahmer's place looked and smelled better!

The blood had leaked down on the motor. It was basically cooking this blood. It was horrible. We put a lot of effort into getting rid of the smell. We carried the freezer out by the pool. I looked at my brother and asked him if he knew what the next problem was going to be. He said no. I told him that I was afraid that a bear would break through the screen trying to get something to eat which is a real risk.

What a pain in the backside.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can tell none of you have been in Deer Camp on Beer,Pickled Egg and Pig Nuckle night!!!!! Eeker

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote