THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Need off-season ideas to be a better hunter

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need off-season ideas to be a better hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Had another bust of a deer season. Northern Virginia is overrun with them but they all seem to be lying around dead on the side of the road, instead of running around on public land where they belong. I also had so many other things going on that I never even got out for a full day.

Since I'm expecting to have even less time next season, I've been thinking about what lessons I can draw.

1. Land access. This is the single biggest thing. Everyone I know who shoots lots of deer in the area has one thing in common: they've got access to some piece of PRIVATE land that they can work hard, whether it's where they live, or a friend's place, or a club lease. So I need to spend some serious time working the farmers in deer-rich counties.

2. Scent control. I've read a bunch about this and always figured it wouldn't matter much as long as I kept the wind in my face.

But the best chance I had at filling the freezer this year was on a friend's lease. Couple does came trotting out of a woodlot where my friend had gone, and paused 60-70 yds from my treestand. Mama stopped and stared right at me (these deer obviously know where the stands are) and then went back to feeding. I had no shot because of some branches waving in front of my muzzle. When the deer stepped out beyond that branch, she also stepped across the scent trail where I'd walked to the stand. Her tail went up and she trotted right away. So I think next year I'll at least spray some kind of scent killer on my boots. (I'm not ready mentally to change all my clothes at the tailgate of my truck.)

3. Scouting. Got to do it more -- taking off of JJHack's accuracy post. Not only to figure out where the deer are, but where to approach them from and how to do so.

Every year I hunt one wildlife management area even though it's bucks-only, just because it's pretty and in a rifle county. Like most Virginia WMAs it's abandoned farmland covered with oak leaves and hardwood whips, i.e. impossible to move quietly.

There's one spot where I've always found fresh sign (beds & droppings) and on my next-to-last day of hunting I jumped a couple deer out of it. This spot is very close to one of the main trails through the area (I was sneaking along it when I jumped them) so for my last day I figured I'd come at 'em from another direction.

Conditions looked good -- rain to cover my noise and scent, and a wind from the south. I got to the area nearly an hour and a half before shooting light and made a big circle to the north, to come out on the same trail but uphill from the bedding area. Unfortunately, to do so I had to climb a hill covered with brush and leaves and made a godawful racket. I heard critters running around in the dark and unsurprisingly, I didn't see any deer that day.

I didn't do a bad job of navigating but this year I'll go for a couple hikes there to figure out a better route into that spot. (And yes, I know focusing on one patch a couple hundred feet across in a 5000-acre area is a trifle obsessive.)

4. Archery. Not only do archers have access to suburban areas that are closed to firearms use (and where people who have multi-million dollar homes are really sick of having their rosebushes eaten), but the early season takes place before there are quite so many darn leaves on the ground. An experienced friend offered to help me get set up gear-wise and I plan to take him up on that.

Any comments or suggestions?

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you've pretty much got it covered. But, I would probably put a helluva more effort into getting in on private property. All it takes is Mordita whether a case of good wine or beer to start and maybe offer some of the backstrap or a hind quarter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John

One way to practice during off-season is to stop up to my area. We can shoot groundhogs and maybe I can get you on a crop damage list. There are also a few "tactical" unknown distance shoots in the area that are good practice and fun (distances typically 100 to 900 yards, no bench, improvised shooting positions, bipod, off-hand, tree support, etc)... "Sniper Golf" is one such event, unknown distance, targets from the size of chicken eggs to giant 33 x 40 inch "gong" (read as ranges of about 900 yards for that critter)

BUT your a bit too early... season isn't over yet!

We're apparently having a two (2) day "bonus" season this Friday and Saturday. I'm heading out with a few fellas to "decrease the surplus population". It's antlered or antlerless take your pick and we figure on a "whack and stack" affair to fill freezers and your more than welcome to come along. I'm off Friday (government worker, slacker, non-hacker, on the dole, etc, etc...) so I'll be hunting then too.

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Need off-season ideas to be a better hunter

Seriously ? Bird watching, tracking critters of all varieties and native plant identification walks. It'll get you out and about, keep your eyes sharp and make you a better observer. Which'll make you a better hunter.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
#4 Taking up Archery can give you a lot more opportunities.

Its a lot of fun too. Practice a lot and the confidence and ability will come.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best thing I ever did for my hunting was pick up a .22, load it with subsonics or shorts, and go after rabbit in my usual deer hunting spots in the off season. Only shots allowed are within 10 feet. Use open sights, vary your approach, practise silent stalking, learn to read and guage the animals reactions. It also helps you learn the land and the best paths to take. Technology can do a lot of things including mask your scent well, but when the light is fading and the deer are heading back in to the thick of it, stalking skills can keep you in the game for those extra few minutes. A good hike is always nice mid-hunt anyways, gets you out of that bloody stand for a few hours. In hunting stand situations, your non-detection is critical before sunrise, they can hear, smell and see you before you even know they're there. Knowing your way quickly and quietly to your stand on the morning of your hunt will give you the advantage come sun-up. Small game is plentiful, typically less restricted, very challenging, and damn fine eating.

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote