THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    ?? Ideal MV for 220gr Nosler Partition ??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

?? Ideal MV for 220gr Nosler Partition ??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted
I've learned by reading here over the weeks that some bullets can be driven too fast or too slow for reliable performance. So now I'd like to know how to get the most from my 300 WinMag and the 220gr Nosler Partition. Lacking a chrony, I figure I've gotten about 2700fps and 1-1/4" groups using 68gr of RL-22.

Can I do better than that? Maybe using RL-25 or Retumbo will generate more speed, if I even need that. Any advice and experience would be appreciated. I'm just sitting here cooking up loads and blasting at the range in anticipation of some long future hunting opportunity.

As a side note, I've also gotten good groups with the Sierra 220gr RN, but I assume that one is better suited to big pigs than bear. Is there a top recommended velocity for this bullet?

Thanks,
GFP

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your velocity is right on at 2700+. I use 69 gr of Rel 22 most of the time, and 220 gr bullets are great at that speed.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gonzo,

I used 76 grains H-1000, Federal Gold Medal Case and Fed 215 primers for 2752 FPS, with the 220 Nosler in the 300 Win Mag. This is not over Hodgdon's max (78 grains), but is over Barnes max, so approach from below.

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gonzo;

As a person in the middle of that debate on bullets and failures, I do hunt have a 300 Win Mag that is carried afield.

I do not see the need for a magnum in the lower 48 for most situations for my personal preference. However, a Partition is not going to fail as long as impact velocities are above 2,000 fps or so. Maybe an overbore 30 caliber wildcat might drive a 220 grain Partition to speeds that might make the bullet blow up, but it would have to be a 50 caliber case necked to 30 caliber in my opinion, and even that would be just speculation.

While I don't believe in the need for a Magnum in most instances, I believe when you do need it, then make it a fire breathing magnum. Why carry a sledgehammer if you don't need one. However if you need one for the task at hand, why make it a light sledgehammer?

In my Browning A Bolt 300 Win Mag, I load 220 grain bullets. The Hornady, the Sierra or the Nosler Partition. I use a stout charge of H 1000 ( 83 grains) with a Winchester Mag Primer.
No pressure signs and I have reloaded some brass 10 times with this load.

A 220 grain bullet chronographs out of a 26 inch barrel at 2950 to 2980 or so in the Browning. If it is carried, it is done so for Elk, and only if I am trophy hunting, looking for a big one. I plan on keeping shots at 300 yds or less.

The rifle wears a 4x40 Simmons scope ( Whitetail Classic). It is zeroed 3.5 inches high at one hundred yards. At 300 yds it hits whatever the cross hairs settle on. When the 220 grain RN hits a gong at 300 yds, the "clang" usually gets a lot of peoples attention from the degree of noise.

So from experience, the Sierras and Hornadys hold up just fine. A partition is head and shoulders above both of those. You can't go wrong. [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

[ 07-30-2003, 11:13: Message edited by: seafire ]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire:
While I don't believe in the need for a Magnum in most instances, I believe when you do need it, then make it a fire breathing magnum. Why carry a sledgehammer if you don't need one. However if you need one for the task at hand, why make it a light sledgehammer?

Exactly.

Posts: 64 | Location: Bham, Al | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
The sledgehammer metaphor brings up another question: Does anyone consider the 300WinMag a small sledgehammer or not "fire-breathing" enough? Personally, I would feel OK about a walk in big bear country with my 300WinMag and 220gr Partition @ 2700fps. Maybe I'd be more comfortable with a big 338, but since I don't have much spare cash I don't think it's needed in my collection.

Thanks for the responses.

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I always push any give bullet as fast as possible for the cartidge I'm loading, just as long as the load meets all safety parameters.

I've found that so-called "optimum muzzle velocity" numbers are pretty much a theoretical pipe dream. It's hard to tell if the animal you'll ultimately take is going to be standing 50 yards or 300 yards from the muzzle when you shoot him, and either of those scenarios (or anything in between) is going to mean that the delivered energy numbers at those distances is going to be different no matter what velocity the bullet started out at at the muzzle.

Since potential muzzle velocity for the bullet you've chosen is the only constant that you can control within reason, I recommend loading to the potential of the cartridge.

AD

posted Hide Post
I'd agree with most of what has already been written here. I load to the potential of the cartridge and rifle being used. I personally prefer the 200gr Nosler over the 220 but either will do nicely.
As for the other question about a 300 being a big hammer...it's a good one but certainly not one I'd choose if I were walking about in brown bear country on a regular basis.

[ 07-31-2003, 06:00: Message edited by: John S ]

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Im not a real big partition fan, but even so it still may be the most flexible bullet ever devised. The SP means it will still function at low velocities/long ranges and yet the other half simply wont come apart. Use it with confidence..

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
The 220 gr. Nosler Partition out of my Model 70 30-06 pushes out the barrel at 2550 fps kills quite well. The brown bear I killed was a victim to this. Dropped him like a sack of potato's to plant him for a fast follow-up shot planting in the dirt.

The 220 gr. Nosler Partition is my go-to bullet when I know I'm keeping shots from 0-200 yards, which is just about all the time.

[ 07-31-2003, 09:07: Message edited by: CK ]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drive the 220 Noslers at 2450 FPS in my 30-06 and 2700 in my 300 H&H, and they always do a real number on everything..I also like the 220 Woodleigh both soft and solids for bigger stuff..

My favorite load is a bucket full of old surplus 4831 and a 200 gr. Nosler at 3000 FPS in my 26" barrel M-70 pre 64 300 H&H....don't know what I'll do if I use up all that old O'Connor powder.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote