New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice please!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fellas, my nephew just passed hunters saftey and I'm buying him a new rifle. I'm just not sure about the caliber. I'm trying to decide between the 308 or 270. I'll probably take him for deer, elk and antelope over the next few years. He is only 14 but he's almost 6'! Anyway, what ever I get him, he'll need for atleast 5 years. Thanks for the help...wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pick the young feller,up a Savage or a Stevens in 270Win. He will use it for more than 5 years, I bet.
Dont cheap out on the glass.

Posts: 120 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If it is to be a surprise it makes it a little harder but I'd recommend letting him pick one that he wants! If his heart is set on one particular rifle nothing else will be IT. Depending on budget I'd probably go for either a Ruger M77 mkII or a Kimber. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LongCarbine
posted Hide Post
I started out hunting with my dad's Ruger M77 .270. An excellent big game rifle. Having said that, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Both are versatile calibers that you can use just as effectively on an elk or moose compared to a deer or antelope. The .270 is a little friendlier in the recoil department, but there's not a lot of difference. Good luck!

"That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable."

Posts: 125 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest a Savage in 270. Great out of the box accuracy. Good caliber for all applications you mention. The 308 is no slouch but the 270 should provide for a little longer range.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
270 win or 30-06 IMO.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with a 270, but I think the best 1ST rifle for my kids will be a 7MM-08. Good for anything from Coyotes to Moose IMO and easy on the ears and shoulder!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started my cousin's son with a 308 handload using 300 Savage/307 Winchester data, but we were only after whitetails. Since elk is on the dance card then 270, 308, 7mm08, or 30'06 would be my first picks for a first rifle. I know he's a big kid but he might as well love his rifle from the get go; make sure whatever rifle he chooses has a proper recoil pad and that he always wears hearing protection at the range.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ 550 in 270 WIN

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Big Nate, besides you can't go wrong with either one. I started with a Ruger
M77 in .270 and I started my daughter with a Remington 600 mohawk in .308 She took a bear on her 15th birth day and still uses it today. She is now 32

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it's a budget thng to some extent, but bearcat makes a good recommendation for sure, the CZ with a Conquest scope would make a nice rig at a mid/low budget range. An ED brown would be an heirloom piece, or maybe one of the Hill Country rigs. At that level or for a little less, you could go with a SAKO M-75 right off of the shelf, with all these you should see if the LOP is close, the Hill Country or Ed Brown would do whatever you want, but there's a little wait involved there......

Oh yeah-- I vote .270 in whatever.

Fun choice to have to make.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Savage 270 is very accurate out of the box and easy on the budget. Don't get cheap on th scope though.
My personal choice for your son would be a 7MM08. Much easier on recoil and better choice of bullets. Ballistically there is very little difference in the two calibers.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I recommend you the .270 a ruger is a good rifle .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AI22-250:
I'll second, third, fourth or more, I've shot the 270win for 40yrs now, many many mule deer, a number of elk and antelope, a few coyotes, just for fun. Flater shooting than the 308, however, I have a 308win that I love too. I just a little less recoil, flater trajectory, plenty of factory ammo, if you don't reload. You can't go wrong with the Savage either..... Good luck.....

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wapiti7 ----- These kids will supprise you, if they really want to hunt. My grandson had shot my .257 Wby since he was 9 years old and wanted to go Elk hunting, when he was 14. I had several for him to choose from, he picked a .338 Lapua. I trained him for 6 weeks with it and at first light the first morning he scored on his first Elk, a huge cow. He was 6 ft. and 180 at the time. He still shoots the Lapua with ease. You know your nephew better than anyone else. My preference if you go .270 is the WSM, mine shoots a 140 grain bullet 3300 fps and is very accurate. I also hunted with a .308 for years and it will also do an excellent job, and is very flat with a good 150 or 165 grain bullet. You might even consider a .300 Win mag, load it like a .308 now and a mag later. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be looking for a medium/big game rifle for my son soon. Haven't given a great deal of thought yet, but a 7mm-08 w/ a simple 4x scope sounds good to me.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
wapiti7 I've got to agree with BigNate that the boy should have some say in what rifle and caliber. He will be the one who knows what he craves, and drewels over. (Ask the girl next door! Wink ) Thing is you can guide him in the choice, but he will live with it better if he has some say. And most likely care for it better as well.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
5 Years???

If he is like every other hunter I know, he will have this rifle for life. thumb

I would suggest the 270 - good for anything in NA(except DG). I would also suggest you look at the CZ 550 in .270 - I purchased one for my son (13 yrs & 160 lbs)and it will be used for the rest of his life(and probably handed down to his son)

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son shot his first whitetail at the age of nine, and he did it with my .270, while sitting on my lap. He never even felt the rifle recoil.

For my money, the .270 is just tough to beat. O'Connor's claim that it killed like a magnum without the recoil of a magnum is still very much true, and with the bullets out there now, it is just hard to find much NDG the venerable .270 won't dispatch both quickly and humanely.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7-08 in a Rem CDL. Best glass you can afford. On the scope, forget the whistles and bells and side focus and big objective lenses and way too much power. A stright 4x or a 3x9x40 is what you need.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wapiti7:
Fellas, my nephew just passed hunters saftey and I'm buying him a new rifle. I'm just not sure about the caliber. I'm trying to decide between the 308 or 270. I'll probably take him for deer, elk and antelope over the next few years. He is only 14 but he's almost 6'! Anyway, what ever I get him, he'll need for atleast 5 years. Thanks for the help...wapiti7

I agree with ROSCOE, GaryVA and iwzbeeman

You could "split the difference" and get him a 7mm-08 which will do almost anything either of the others will do.

I'll also agree with the guys above who recommend the Savage.
the Savage (or the even less expensive Stevens 200 which is also available in 7mm-08) rifles seem on average to be better shooters than the Rugers (most rugers are good but you keep hearing about the occasional lemon) and the money you save on the price of the rifle can instead be spent on the optics.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote