New
Find
Notify
Tools

Customs in Canada question?
 Login/Join

<duckster>
posted
I will be going to Alberta in a couple of weeks with my father for a moose hunt. My question is: Since he will be using one of my rifles, do I fill out the form 4457 for the U.S. Customs as well as the Canada gun registration form or does he fill it out as the gun will be his checked baggage? Any insight appreciated

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
You can put both your rifles on the same forms since you *OWN* them. That will also save you $35. Suggest you download the form from the Canadian Firearm Center site and fill it out -- in triplicate -- before you arrive. Just do not sign or date them.

I did the same with my son this past spring for a bear hunt since he was using my .300 WM. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Better check with Canadian Officials. I believe that if you have the gun in your possession, you better have the official papers saying you brought them in. I know that even if you borrow guns from someone that owns them in Canada, you must have a permit. Thirty-five bucks is awful cheap insurance to keep out of Canadian hot water.

Good luck on the hunt.

Posts: 115 | Location: mid west | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friendly word of advice based on a recent experience...be a courteous as you possibly can, even if customs gives you a hard time. Loosing your temper will only exacerbate the situation....this is sound advice when dealing with all sorts of situations in which the other party has *all* power of you...

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
This is the exactly the issue that I was thinking of, should the paperwork be filled out by the owner of the firearm, or the person who has it in his luggage? Tony, did you have all the paperwork for both guns? And did you have them in the same case or did you each have a case?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckster,

The details. First, I called the CFC many days before our trip and did exactly as they advised me. According to the person I spoke with, the key is OWNERSHIP of the guns.

We drove across the border, and the guns were in separate cases but never left my truck. In other words, when we pulled up to the place, the guy in the kiosk asked if we had firearms, then told us where to park and go into the building for the paperwork routine. He also emphatically said, "DO NOT bring the guns into the building."

The actual routine was quite painless and when we were done, I did something quite uncharacteristic of me.

I have probably crossed the borders of Canada and Mexico over 50 times to hunt or fish in the last 25 years, and the custom's agent that did our paperwork was the most pleasant guy I've ever dealt with from ANY country's custom's agency. So when we were all done, I told him just that.

He was ecstatic, too, telling me he appreciated it, and it's not often that someone complements him. Then he explained that he wasn't about to ruin someone's vacation by simply being an a-hole for no reason.

And...when this dude first walked up to the counter, he would have been the last guy that I expected to be as pleasant as he was -- from his appearance! He was at least 6'4" and about 280 lbs. of hulk, not fat. Plus, he had a Kojak hairdo, which made him a fairly imposing individual. [Smile] -TONY

[ 10-07-2003, 19:08: Message edited by: Outdoor Writer ]

<duckster>
posted
Tony,

I will be flying into Calgary, so we will be carrying the firearms with us. Did they even look at the guns? How about checking the ammo?

I ran off the form "Non resident firearm declaration" is this the correct form? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckster,

Nope, they never checked the guns themselves. I left them in the truck as instructed. No ammo check either.

And when we came back through US customs, they looked at only the paperwork, as well. BUT...for the latter, your mileage might differ. Coming back from Africa in June via plane, US customs in Atlanta did check the serial #s against the 4457 form.

The biggest hassle coming back into the US was filling out the USFWS form for the two bear hides and skulls. And those they did inspect by making us open the coolers so they could be sure they were frozen.

And yes, the NR declaration is the right one. -TONY

[ 10-07-2003, 19:54: Message edited by: Outdoor Writer ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
When I arrived in Calgary with both my guns....to become a resident, in fact on paper I already was...I didn't have my gun license. I applied for it months in advance but it never came. All I had was a print-out of an e-mail from CFC stating that the license was issued. I also had the form for the temp license. They rejected the forms, loved the print-out and let me in without even looking at the guns.

A bow hunter I guided, got worked over pretty badly...I suppose much depends on the time of the day, the mood of the officer, etc.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the import permit is form JUS 909 you can get it at the web site below. be advised it is legal size so don't cut off the bottom. it will print on 8X11 but make sure you have all the form. make three copies of the unsigned form to bring along. you'll sign them at the border

http://www.cfc.gc.ca/en/forms_assistance/indiv_forms/909.asp

[ 10-08-2003, 23:38: Message edited by: rockhead ]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
I used the U.S. Customs form 4457 on my return from Africa, is it needed for a return from Canada?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckster,

Take the 4457 with you. It certainly eases the re-entry into the US process. And you can use the same one you used for Africa if the firearms are the same. -TONY

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
Just FYI, I am in Vancouver right now, passing through on my way to my Moose hunt. This time, they sent me straight to the cashier. They didn't even look at my guns or have me open the case. They just wanted their money. Last time, they looked at my guns for about ten minutes and checked the serial numbers against my 4457.

I would advise you to each have a 4457 and a Canadian permit, especially if you are going to be hunting 1x1. Also, be sure not to sign your Canadian form until you are in the presence of the cashier, or they will make you fill out another one. Good luck.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote