THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Shooting stick question......Help wanted

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting stick question......Help wanted
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I'm going to start hunting in New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming this year and in the comeing years. I live and hunt Missouri hill country. Shots are 100 yrds and under most always but I know this is not the normal for some of the before mentioned states. I would like to know if a set of some type of sticks are a used and recomended piece of equipment. If so what do you like and use.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted,

A few years back I bought something called a Polecat and I rarely go hunting without it. Its a single extendable aluminum stick that is about as steady and light as can be. It makes a nice walking stick while not used as a shooting rest.

Joe

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
I use stoney point shooting sticks (sitting height) when I hunt open country.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
I have been using the Bog Pod tripod sticks. They seem to be a little beefier than the Stoney Point. The difference between a monopod and a bipod is huge, the difference between a bipod and tripod is another order of magnitude better. I used the sticks this last week on an elk hunt as a walking stick in mountainous boulder/rocky terrain and it was a huge asset in navigating. Shot a nice bull too.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made a pair, the directions are in varmintal.com website. Works just fine with everything but my Encore. When I got that rifle I found that it's extremely sensitive to minor pressure changes on the forend and guys recommended the Harris Bipod. I have a 12" I use for bench and prone shooting, and a 25" that works for sitting, and prone too. That's the best all around Harris Bipod, in my opinion. I use it all the time, now.
Shotgun

Posts: 111 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I would use my daypack to shoot prone but I guess I'm not sure if I would get much use from a large stand up to shoot style. Are the long tripod or bipod styles cumbersome.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also made a pair as described on the varmintal website. They are great for seated use. For standing use, I made a set like you see in the hunting shows from Africa. I bought three heavy bamboo plant stakes from Home Depot and lashed them together with a long rawhide strip bought from a craft store. With a little practice deploying them, they work great for standing shots.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
The Polecat sticks are good as long as you dont use them to steady yourself in real steep country.

They tend to bend and break if they get much of a side-loading on them , but then they arent designed to be mountaineering poles anyway.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
one of the nice things about leaning against a tree, over a rock etc. is that you don't have to carry them along with you

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I use the Stoney Point tripod sticks but would suggest you get the Mag series they are a little better built imo. The outfitter I have used in Colo. the last three years uses the Cabelas adjustable type of Bipod they work. I shot a cow this year at 275 yds off those. I also perfer to place the center of the rifle on the sticks instead of the forend for sighting up or downhill,takes the pressure off the forend.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
..or you could just get a set of Predator Sniper Styx and not worry. I have used them for several years now. They are heavy duty and well designed.

Bob

Here is a link to their site: Predator Sniper Styx Link

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use any number of rests while hunting.

When varmint hunting, even predator calling, I almost always have a Harris bipod on the rifle.
(Usually the 9-13 inch swivel version.)

When hunting wide open country I usually use the Harris bipod that goes from 13 to 25 inches. This rest can be used either lying down or sitting behind it.

When hunting steeper country or where the brush may be an issue, I always carry a set of shooting sticks. There are any number of good brands on the market, mine are Underwood's. If I were buying new ones I would opt for the magnum versions that have thicker legs.

I recently acquired a Bogpod. This is a tripod version that can be used sitting, kneeling, standing, etc. It is very steady, but is more cumbersom to carry. I loaned it to a friend in October and have not seen it since, he must like it.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Ted, I went with the Stoney Point sticks that are meant for kneeling or sitting.

I took a bull at 325 sitting and holding the sticks firmly. I was intending on using them for my last mulie, but the ridge I was on allowed for a good prone shot at 312.

This season I've been hunting in a ground blind a good bit and the SPs were not long enough to use from a chair. I cut two cedar limbs, carved a point, and tied them together with grass twine. They've been pretty steady so far, I just hope I get to use them for some action soon Smiler

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
..or you could just get a set of Predator Sniper Styx and not worry. I have used them for several years now. They are heavy duty and well designed.

Bob

Here is a link to their site:

Predator Sniper Styx Link

That looks like a product I might buy...Thanks Bob

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I just made a set of ultra-light sticks out of two un-cut carbon arrows....33" long I left the field tips in and just taped the shafts together with black electric tape just under 5" down from the end and by damb they seem to work great. I will take them into the tool shop in the morning and tweak them a bit. So far preaty cool though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a heads up, cabelas is having a heck of a sale on shooting sticks. I just got Stoney point safari sticks for 24.99, that are normally 64 and change.
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Bought aluminum walking sticks. I think they are built for hiking, but they can be used for snowshoeing also they are adjustable, from 18" to like 5 1/2 feet, and each one has a compass in the handle. I bought a pair of them for 14 bucks at dicks. I used one last year to shoot a buck ar about 60 yards with my muzzleloader. I just set the gun on top of it and hold it with my fingers.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ted I made a shooting stick out of American Linden [ Basswood ] I can stand up right not bent over to us them plus they make a great walking stick. I aslo made a hinge strap to keep them from opening to wide. Then just put alot of lead though your rifle and it will surprise you how it will come togather. beer

One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
It's tough to beat the 25" (sitting height) Harris swivelling bipod.

But it's not like making a STICK is exactly rocket surgery; the best ones I've made were from 1/2" round fiberglass plant stakes I got at rhe nursery, wrapped with electrical tape and tied together with a bungee cord.....work just as well as a $ 75 set ot Stoney Points or whatever.....

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started using shooting sticks a few years ago. The first one was a monopod that I found very unstable.

I looked at the varmintal.com website design and ended up using my own design - A pair of junior ski poles that my neighbour threw away. Giving that I shoot with sitting and kneeing positions, the length of the junior pole is quite good. Drilling holes ¼ way down from the top, I fasten the two poles using a long screw and a wing nut. The height can be adjusted by widening the legs. Having it folded together it becomes my walking stick.

The cost is zero and it only took 30 minutes to put it together. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 157 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of variations on shooting sticks that work well. Any of them do require some practice time to be used effectively. I haven't taken any game yet while using them (usually other forms of rest have been available), but practicing at the range (controlled conditions of course) I can hit golf balls at 50 yards with my 22 rifle.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote