THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Need a little help from my midwest hunting buddies . . .

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a little help from my midwest hunting buddies . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
I'm not sure if this is the right area for this thread, but I want the big game hunters from the mid-west (or there about) to see and possibly comment. Here goes:

Men, I'm lusting to buy a small hunting cabin in the Colorado/Montana/Wyoming/etc area. Everything here in California is too damn expensive, plus the game isn't too great these days either. I won't even begin to complain about the damn gun laws here now. Mad So, can anyone recommend some good game areas for me to consider?

Deer/elk/antelop, maybe black bear/moose too. PM me if you want.

Thanks in advance.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out, http://www.governmentlandauction.com They don't sell dwellings as such, but you may be able to pick up a piece of ground cheap. Just a thought.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The states you mentioned really aren't the midwest. They are western states. I suggest Colorado or Idaho for a "have everything state."

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375hnh:
Check out, http://www.governmentlandauction.com They don't sell dwellings as such, but you may be able to pick up a piece of ground cheap. Just a thought.

DGK

Thanks 375, I'll check it out.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hound: I lived in California for many years and we used to consider anything east of the California-Nevada state line as 'back east' Wink. I have not looked at land to buy in Colorado or Wyoming, but if you have the money, I'm sure are ranches to be bought..I think it might be easier to just hook up with a good outfitter on a private ranch with superior hunting...not much equity in that..but the hunting would be good.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
The states you mentioned really aren't the midwest. They are western states. I suggest Colorado or Idaho for a "have everything state."

Thanks Doc (aka Mulie Man). See how bad California has got my head right now with all the crazy laws? Well, everything east of Vegas is pratically Germany to me Wink

-eric

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rwj:
Hound: I lived in California for many years and we used to consider anything east of the California-Nevada state line as 'back east' Wink. I have not looked at land to buy in Colorado or Wyoming, but if you have the money, I'm sure are ranches to be bought..I think it might be easier to just hook up with a good outfitter on a private ranch with superior hunting...not much equity in that..but the hunting would be good.

Hi rwj,
I've looked into it a little here. In fact, the guy we started using last year for our boar hunts has since gotten into real estate. He has forwarded some of the ranches/land he's found. However, once I saw the prices of what some of decent properties went for, I about fell over. I can't blame the owners for selling them at such high prices here in California (it is the only way some of those poor ranchers break even these days, considering NAFTA), but still, Damn!

I'll be in Colorado this fall (first hunt there) and will have my eyes and ears open, for sure. The good Mrs. Teat Hound has given the official OK for me to look. I'm going to take her up on it before she decides on a new SUV.

I hope to be able to let my son (who is now 2 years old) take his first deer on our very own property. What a dream that is for me!

-eric