New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rangefinder to replace binocs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I currently have a pair of Bushnell Legend 10x42 binocs and I am thinking about selling them as I'm going to get a Leica 1200 rangefinder and I doubt I would carry both. The Legends have done me well but I think the Leicas would suffice when necessary. Do you think that's a bad move?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
For me,binoculars are something that would be most difficult to do without. I'm also a laser fan and have had the Leica 1200 for a couple weeks now.

I can't weigh what your situation and styles dictate,but for me,I'd grit my teeth and purchase the very best binocular I could afford first. Then as finances allowed,I'd go the Leica 1200 route,as it really is a very good machine(it's my fourth laser and the best of the lot,for me).

I'd much rather leave my Leica 1200LRF on the counter,than my Zeiss 10x40's,but am pleased most,when both accompany me......................

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you are right-on Nebraska.

A pair of binoculars is the least important optics I have. If I had a great variable scope on my rifle and a good range finder, I would get very little use out of a pair of binoculars. I'm sure not going to haul all of that up and down mountains all day.

If I was sitting in a stand in Texas the binoculars would probably be there with me.

Posts: 13812 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good binocular will enable you to find game that you would ordinarily miss. There is no way I'd hunt without one. I'll take my dad's old rusty, iron sighted .30-30 and my new 8X42 Leica over any rifle and scope combination I've ever had, or heard of. One cannot glass-search for game-effectively with a rifle scope, to say nothing of the safety issues.
Leica does use good optics in their LRF's. But it will not perform anything like a binocular. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting in the mountains without binoculars means missing a lot of game.A monocular(such as a rangefinder) will never be comfortable for spending long periods glassing with.Using a riflescope while it is mounted on a gun is a very poor tool to use for glassing even if it wasn't a dangerous and irresponsible act.The number one rule of firearm safety is to never point a gun at anything you do not want to shoot.While glassing with your riflescope you will be pointing a gun(probably loaded) at many things possibly even people.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote