THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Remington Guns...are they really that bad?!!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Guns...are they really that bad?!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jorge, RFLMAO. "less experienced". You are so lame. But then, one shouldn't expect a group of folks that can't even cast a simple ballot to know too much about guns. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This whole business about Remington would have gone under long ago had they not been making a quality product, is pure nonsense.
The people will buy what�s available to the masses. Take a look at any range of products. Take for example woodworking tools & machinery, years ago manufactures made decent tools, now they are made mostly of plastic and extruded aluminum. The *quality* name is still there, but the *quality* product is long gone. The same people also buy �quality� piss-chipboard veneer furniture �hand made� in Denmark or some other country, not unlike a company, KNOWN for making quality products. It is all about what a individual knows and accepts.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Oh, I get it Beeman, now we're getting personal with the voting issue and Florida. Maybe I'm reading all of these posts wrong( after all, I AM from Florida) but it sure looks like the majority of the posts reflect my views. At least I can read. West Virginia? No wonder you like Remingtons. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
smallfry,

I tend to agree with you to an extent. A good analogy would be GM. Why would anyone buy a GM sedan when Honda and Toyota make a FAR better car (more reliable, better resale value, fit & finish, etc.)? I think to a big extent it is because of advertising dollars GM spends.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Flinch>
posted
Jorge, your post shows your usual lack of knowledge of actual facts. Once again you bore everyone with your ignorance and fantasy statistics. Do you ever get tired of knowing everything? I have watched you slam everything in the world on several forums for years. You cut down new shooters on every choice they make when you have nothing to back it up. You claim to be a well traveled "world wide" hunter, yet have nothing to show for all your expertise. What do you actually hunt on these world wide hunts, other than an arm chair and a gun rag? You claim that Sierra bullets are the worst bullet on earth and nobody should use them because you had ONE bad experience with them that was CLEARLY due to your own ignorance and stupidity. You were shooting a 165 grain cup jacket bullet out of a .300 at high velocity, up close at a big animal. What did you really expect that bullet to do???? Your ignorance and hot air is so old. Get a real life, leave the real hunting to the real experts and try to get some actuall shooting and hunting experience to base your "facts" on. Gun rags thrive off of people like you, the "fantasy world" shooter and hunter. I shall look forward to one of your usual empty (yawn), "I have been here and done that all over the world" replies. I can feel my eyes getting heavy already just thinking about it. Flinch

one of us
posted Hide Post
The M700 is the toyota and honda. Built simple and not alot of problems,unless you're a mauser fan,then the M700 is always having problems.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup,they are absolute junk...I was at the range today with a couple Rem 700's and a Sako.My VSSF 223 can hardly shoot less than a .75" 5 shot group at 100 meters and can barely keep them under 1-1/2" at 300 meters(with me running the trigger that's pretty good).The 25-06 could barely do 3 shots in 1-1/2" at 100 meters and 2-1/2" " at 200 meters......with a 9X scope and factory 100 gr CoreLocts.My 700/300 Win Mag had a real hard time keeping 3 shots of 180 Hornady flat bases under an inch at 100M and under 1-1/2" at 200,junk for sure,I gotta get rid of 'em....before I go out and wound a bunch of gophers or elk.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rembo... it's all about what a consumer knows and accepts. Accuracy is not the criterion of quality in my acceptance, nor is any single mechanical function for that matter.

Its sad, but every year things like.... a rifle goes up5% in price and they add a aluminum floor plate and trigger guard, happen. Pretty soon (well it happens now) people start getting excited, debating, and deciding what pile of shit suits them best... it doesnt matter to them that they are all piles of shit as long as they get to choose the pile of shit they like (or someone has told them is) the best.

Some might want to check out the older 700s at gun shows, nice rifles, better price.
Just my opinion

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I picked up a darned old Remington 700 Mt. Rifle in .30-06 at the Louisville Gun show on Saturday. I already have a 2X&7 Vari XII mounted on it in 2 piece Leupold Mt's. Really nice and light. It's one of the older ones with a real floor plate instead to the road hunter special. Hope to work up a good fast 150 grain load for it.
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Flinch: My. aren't you brave taking me to task hiding behind your computer. Get your facts straight, I've never used a 165gr Sierra or any Sierra for that matter. AS far as proving my experience, to whom? you, give me a break.

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smallfry:
Its sad, but every year things like.... a rifle goes up5% in price and they add a aluminum floor plate and trigger guard, happen.

Yeah, that aluminum. Totally unsuited to heavily stressed parts like a floorplate. [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Orion 1,
I will spell out my post a little bit more for you since you are not comprehending what I am getting at. The price of the rifle goes up, and the quality of the parts goes down. Now, Remington and other manufactures are not switching to aluminum because it is stronger, is more aesthetic, or because it is in high demand by their customers, they are because of manufacturing ease and they know people like yourself dont care and or dont know. This is a cost cutting measure at the expense of the customers (except you and a few others who dont know/ dont care/ or love aluminum guns) not a inflation issue. I would love to sell guns to people like yourself. I would make as much of the rifle out of pot metal and aluminuim as could. I would tell anyone who asked that the aluminum was to make it lighter and the pot metal was to balance it out in critical areas. Too me, I would take a steel floor plate/trigger guard over a aluminum one any day.

[ 06-16-2003, 12:56: Message edited by: smallfry ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
I am not going to pass judgement on Rem 700's. Actually of the many rifles I do own only one is still in factory guise and that is a 788 in 222.
I hear great things about the accuracy,fast-lock time and such but nothing of the safety problem being saddled on the 700 series of guns. Does the 788 have a history of firing when let off safe also ? I like the gun a got it for $200 bucks and so far it has accounted for 6 chucks at over 250 yards....hard not to like it. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
<aussie john>
posted
Hi
Just my dealings, I've had many different rifles from Winchester 70s, Brnos, a host of Mausers, Carl Gustafs and of course being a rifle nut, just a few Remingtons.
I bought a Remington 700BDLSS in 270Win, the plastic stock is awful and the bottom metal is ordinary, the action and barrel however is reasonably good. This gives me a good starting point to build on.
If you are going to compare things, then the items of comparison should be in the same price bracket, we can pick the faults in all factory rifles for one thing or another.
But lets face it, most customs are not even custom these days, they just bolt prefab bits together and charge you double.
Stay safe
JohnC

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Orion 1,
I will spell out my post a little bit more for you since you are not comprehending what I am getting at. The price of the rifle goes up, and the quality of the parts goes down. Now, Remington and other manufactures are not switching to aluminum because it is stronger, is more aesthetic, or because it is in high demand by their customers, they are because of manufacturing ease and they know people like yourself dont care and or dont know. This is a cost cutting measure at the expense of the customers (except you and a few others who dont know/ dont care/ or love aluminum guns) not a inflation issue. I would love to sell guns to people like yourself. I would make as much of the rifle out of pot metal and aluminuim as could. I would tell anyone who asked that the aluminum was to make it lighter and the pot metal was to balance it out in critical areas. Too me, I would take a steel floor plate/trigger guard over a aluminum one any day.

Seems to me the aluminum/plastic/potmetal M-16 has been working pretty damn well for over 30 years now in conditions that would have destroyed most hunting rifles.

Seems like you don't know everything.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hey, a guy can save alot money not having any class.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned several Remingtons,(30-06, 270, 7mm Rem. Mag.) and have never had any trouble with them. I love Remingtons.

Posts: 28 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
hey, a guy can save alot money not having any class.

NOW I see where you're going.

How lame....... [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
No... I dont think you do. Both a guy with class and guy with junk can spend the same amount of money.... and the guy with class will still end up with lesser number of rifles. The guy without class will have three times the number of rifles (junk).

[ 06-16-2003, 23:42: Message edited by: smallfry ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets get right to the rat killin here....find, then buy a CZ. Cannot be touched by any other production rifle in its class. End of story..

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's amazing since Remington got in the racing business and clothing their quality goes down in firearms,they quit making the best 22 bolt (541T) and started making a piece of crap (597). Whats next? Crowcommander

Posts: 26 | Location: Gurdon,Ar. | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Flinch>
posted
LMAO...Jorge, you sure didn't let me down with yet another lame post. So now it was a "friend" that shot the Sierra bullet??? If you have never shot Sierra bullets, you have even less credibility, but you didn't have any to start with (snicker). Isn't it time for your meds and cartoons? World wide hunter *shakes his head* Flinch

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Flinch; Let's see I looked the word up:
Etymology: Middle French flenchir to bend,
:to withdraw or shrink from or as if from pain : WINCE; also : to tense the muscles involuntarily in anticipation of discomfort. Oh now I get it. "Flinch: is a french word. It figures. Anticipation and discomfort. Just like you " Flinch," a stuck turd that won't go away. jorge

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I really don't understand this thread. If it works for you, what's the problem? You drive a Ford Pinto and your neighbor drives a Mercedes and you are both happy.......Where's the problem?

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No... I dont think you do. Both a guy with class and guy with junk can spend the same amount of money.... and the guy with class will still end up with lesser number of rifles. The guy without class will have three times the number of rifles (junk).

I bet my junk outshoots your classy rifles. They have aluminum floorplates, detachable magazines, fiberglass stocks, and one is even made in Japan!!!

It's a fucking tool.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Tombo: you are absolutely right. The problem is when one states his preference based on personal experience and observations. If you read my posts, I really never meant to "slam" per se, but as you can see, some folks just can't agree to disagree. jorge

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my opinion that Remingtons are just fine. I own several, they have never let me down, are very accurate, and made in America. I'll pick Remington any day over Winchester, or Browning, or Savage, or the European Cheapies. Furthermore, the new locking device you dont have to use if you dont want to. Hello, it doesnt get any simpler than that..........

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but will your new remington fire accurately while in the African heat, hanging upside down, in the rain.
Your not a real hunter, or own a real rifle until you've done all this with a CRF rifle. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote