THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What's the weirdest, strangest, or scariest thing you've ever seen in the field?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the weirdest, strangest, or scariest thing you've ever seen in the field?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I can't take credit for this idea, I saw a similar thread on an archery forum. It was the most interesting reading I've ever read on any hunting forum.

I have a couple of strange things that have happened but I'll share the scariest one. One night we were coon hunting on the North Canadian river in Eastern Oklahoma. We looked towards the river and saw a blue ball of light just hovering over the river. It appeared to be about the size of a basketball. It would move horizontally and vertically with unbelievable speed and then stop on a dime. There was no noise at all. We were in a location where it was unlikely for anyone else to be. It was impossible for someone to get to that spot from the other side of the river and even if they could how could they have made a light like that. To this day we do not know what we saw. We believe it must have been some sort of experimental aircraft from Tinker Air Force base in Oklahoma City, but if it was, it surely was quiet.

I'm sure many of you have seen some weird or incredible things (doesn't have to be scary). I'd love to hear them.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
in the "incredible" category, i was out antelope hunting last weekend; it was toward the end of the day and i was cursing my lack of luck.

i saw shadows on the ground in front of me and looked up. coming out of the sunset was a pair of swans flying very low and very slow; i could see individual feathers and everything. i've never seen swans in this area or in the wild and it was truely an amazing site as i had no idea they migrated trhough this area, even though i've lived here nearly all my life.

i wish i would have had a camera with me, but i am sure that i was too awestruck to snap a picture in time anyway; it will simply have to be one of those memories that i will hopefully carry throughout my life.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wierdest would have to be. The time my step brother and I saw something that appeared to be a bigfoot walking through the trees. It was a long way off, and tward dusk. So it's hard to say what it really was, but it was up on White Pass between Yakima and Seattle mid 70'S
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The scariest? That's easy. A few years ago, I was hunting on state land in an assigned area. I was the only person assigned to that piece of property, and the borders were clearly marked.

That afternoon, I watch as another hunter loudly stumbled through this area -- within 10 feet of me -- and never even notices me, that despite the fact I am wearing the required 400 square inches of blaze orange. I finally whistle to get his attention, and he simply waves and keeps going.

I left the area and went back to the main entrance where I waited for him to return to his vehicle. Shortly after dark, he was back, and I asked if he knew he has wandered a long way into another compartment. He said he wasn't paying attention but will watch out the next day.

The next morning, there he was -- again.

That's not the scary part, though.

This time, he was using the scope on his muzzleloader as binoculars and scanning every direction, including mine.

I had enough and didn't return for the last afternoon. Putting up with that type of moron isn't worth it, in my opinion.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid my dad and I were duck hunting in Florida and found a dead guy in a car. He had killed himself with a garden hose run from the tailpipe through the window.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a rattlesnake crawl across my legs and kept going. I thought a good brush pile would make a good blind and sat down. He was very good about giving the spot up but was on me before I knew it. I was very lucky.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
After 20 years of guiding I wouldn't know where to start:

The guy who put the loaded pistol in his pocket just to have it go off right as the ranch owner drove up?

The Playboy playmate who after she shot a boar threw herself on the ground sobbing and screaming, "Oh no, I hurt him, I hurt him bad!"

The guy who got charged from about 30 yards by a pig he wounded and never even raised or tried to fire the loaded rifle in his hand.

The countless hunters cranking loaded shells on the ground as the game walks off and claiming their rifle is broken while never touching the trigger.

The guy who on two hunts in a row accidently dropped different rifles onto the tailgate of his truck directly on the scopes and then bouncing to the ground.

The wounded boar that kept "running" around and almost got away with THREE legs shot. Or the boar that kept running after being shot with a .470 Nitro AND a .460 Wby. (Note to self - placement is KING).

The guy heading out hunting with hang tags still on the trigger guard of his new rifle.

The guy dragging his new beautiful wood stocked Weatherby by the barrel. Stock bouncing off rocks and brush in the creek bottom. Chamber loaded, safety off and barrel pointed at him the whole time.

The group that flew in on their own private plane but refused to spend the money for $8 pig tags.

The pig walking across a 100 acre grain field BACKWARD in a straight line the whole way.

The Dr. who claimed he had 40 years of experience teaching hunter safety who reprimanded me for politely reminding him about a loaded chamber in the vehicle only to have him AD shortly after his lecture to me.

And on and on.

It's been wild spending so much time in the field with so many different people.

Don't get me wrong there are 50 great memories for each bad one.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine had a new 30-378 Wby. We were hunting together and he shot a nice 5x5 whitetail at about 150 yards, dropped it like a stone. We walked up to it, and I had my guard down. I kicked it in the ass and it jumped up, reared, and turned toward me. I did the "o'le" trick, like a matador, and once the shock wore off, both of us shot the deer twice. Very scary, but funny in retrospect.

Another time, I was coon hunting in a guy's old abandoned house. There were several coon under the bathroom, so I climbed through a hole in the floor to shoot them. I shot 1, 2, 3, 4. Dead, no problem. Another coon appeared, and I shot it point blank with my .22 right between the eyes. He got pissed off, and began to charge. Mind you, this is in a space about 8x6, so pretty tight. I aim again, and click, out of bullets. The coon, almost on cue, climbs on my boots, then up to my crotch (I was laying on my back the whole time) I am reaching up through the hole, where my 2 buddies are standing pissing themselves laughing, pleading and screaming for them to pass me another gun. They finally pass me one, I shift my body so the coon gets off, and a empty a 10 round clip into him. My god, I have never been so scared, or embarressed, because my buddies laughed so hard they cried. Wink

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler, some great stories. I laughed out loud reading about the guy with the new Weatherby!

The strangest thing that ever happend to me was hunting my great uncles farm about 20 years ago as a teenager. I had never been invited to hunt there until Sunday before opening morning of our bucks only rifle season so I quickly scouted out a spot and hung my stand. While walking in across a ridge top to my stand before daylight the next morning I seen a bright light around 20 feet around in a perfect circle on the ground. The light got smaller to the point of disappearing.
That afternoon I told my great uncle I thought someone may have been tresspassing on his property and described the light I had seen to him. He laughed and said you must have been up there around that old grave yard and told me he had seen that light there.
This is where it gets weird. On the walk back in that afternoon there it was. The spot where I had seen the light was a small grave yard, complete with a "rought iron?" fence and as I recall, around 8 very old graves in the middle of the woods, on a ridge top with mature hardwoods all around it and no road of any kind that I could make out. I kept hunting out there and never seen the light again but I can remember having to force myself to walk, not run by that spot every morning.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
A Greek friend of mine who came out of the lake after bathing at dusk. Thought the hairy mutha' was a black bear! Eeker

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the funniest was while me and a buddy were laying in our cots in my wall tent, middle of the night, listenting to a mouse scury back and forth across the nylon tarp under my cot. Then one run from back of tent to front under my cot, he dead centers the leg of the cot with a loud aluminium clink with his head. It was silent for a second, as he gathered his thoughts I think, and scurried off, we exploded with laughter. I thought they could see in the dark! LOL! We killed him the next night!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was deer hunting in NH and on a well travel road fairly good snow falling. We passed an upside down car with the engine running off to the side of the road. Stopped got out and saw that the car had left the road and landed on it's roof. A good 4 inches of snow all around wheels still turning and engine running. No footprints lead away from the car. As an EMT I expected the worst called for my buddy to bring up my aid bag and went down the ditch to the car. Empty. Keys in the ignition, no footprints leading away or to the car.

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On one of my friends ranch in the Texas Big Bend there was a grave under a big tree on the Rio Grande River..Legend had it that they hung a horse theif and burried him beneath the tree..My cousins, brother and our friend ( all about 12 to 15 years old) just knew he would have at least a brace of colt pistols on him so out came the shovel one day after a branding and we went to get those pistols. We dug about a foot down and it was hot and we walked to the river and got a drink and it was getting late and as we approached the hole a white cloud came out of it, My cousin fired both barrels of is 12 ga. I shot once with my 22 and we cut a shuck to the house screaming and some were crying. we told the adults about it and they all laughed..We didn't sleep much that night and the next morning my uncle took us back to the scene of the ghost sighting, In the hole lay a big skunk, deader n hell..It was it tail sticking up at our approach..That was my first and only ghost..

Oh yeah, we did find the skelaton and took the skull to Science class in town...Turned out to be a Baptist circuit preacher and some of the local Babtist that claimed to be distance relitives raised some kind of hell..We had to take it back and bury it in the grave..I thought surely we were going to be hung and burried with him...We did fix up the grave, each of us said a prayer and decided on some other adventure and that was a bear hunt in Mexico. Thats another good story.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
When I was much younger, I had a rather scary thing happen when coon hunting. A couple buddies of mine were in an old abandoned farm house where we had shot a few coons every year. On guy climbed up stairs into a crawl space to see if there was any thing in there.

Well, a big buck coon grabbed him by the leg! He started jumping and cussing, and the coon kept hanging on. So he tried to shoot it WHILE ON HIS LEG!

The scary thing is that I was walking up to the house at this time, and heard bullets flying by. Seems my friend was laying down, leg out the window with the coon attached, trying to get the barrel of his .22 into its head without shooting his foot off.

My other two friends were laughing so hard they couldn't stand up. It is funny, but my friend could have shot me.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not really scary but just "odd".

When I was younger about age 19 I hunted with a group of guys and 2 of them were brothers. One was kinda odd in the head but a hell of a hunter.

He comes in after a monring deer hunt and says he shot at a big deer and needs help finding it.

Load up and go look - 5 of us. 3 guys and the 2 brothers. He shows us where and we start looking and can't find anything. Finally someone finds a tree that looks like it had been hit.

Maybe 30 minutes in someone finds 1 speck of blood. I wasn't even sure it was blood. I stand on the blood spot and they fan out.

3 hours later of finding the tiniest spot of blood every so often (not really that far it just took it us a long time to see it)....we see this buck laying down on top of a ridge. It's all sprawled out like deer that die while running. It's neck is all twisted and one foot up.

Guy who shot it walks up to it and stands there. We gather around it and for about 15 seconds are just shooting the BS about how great a deer it was (it was).

We're all within 5 feet of the deer and it stands up and the guys brother has a .30-30 lever and shoots from the hip one handed in the neck and it goes down.

Wierd part. THE ONLY place we could find the deer had been orginally hit was in the balls. It appears the deer was walking up a hill toward the hunter and he shot the tree and appears to have "bark shot" the deer into the nuts.

Deer laid down on that ridge like he had probably done a hundred times and let someone walk right by.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finding a dead hunter in his tree stand in Idaho. Wife called him in missing and we found him the second day in the back woods of his farm dead from a heart attack. I was a deputy then too and it was the second week of rifle season in unit 4. The patrol sgt. had us cut the tree down with a search and rescue chainsaw to pack him out in bodybag / stretcher. I've also seen some weird and interesting stuff from my two tours in Iraq "out in the field."

Posts: 101 | Location: Montana | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dbltap:
Was deer hunting in NH and on a well travel road fairly good snow falling. We passed an upside down car with the engine running off to the side of the road. Stopped got out and saw that the car had left the road and landed on it's roof. A good 4 inches of snow all around wheels still turning and engine running. No footprints lead away from the car. As an EMT I expected the worst called for my buddy to bring up my aid bag and went down the ditch to the car. Empty. Keys in the ignition, no footprints leading away or to the car.

Did you consider that the driver was ejected prior to the car coming to rest where you found 'no footprints'? Guy was probably lying in a snow bank nearby!

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:
Originally posted by dbltap:

Did you consider that the driver was ejected prior to the car coming to rest where you found 'no footprints'? Guy was probably lying in a snow bank nearby!

KG

A common trick for punk kids who steal cars for joy rides is when they are done with it they put a brick on the accelerator, point the car downhill and let it go.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Another good, and more likely scenario, Frank. My old man's car was stolen and found at the bottom of Boston harbor years ago. They had used the large rock on the gas technique as well.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made a post about a 'Ghost in the Swamp' a while back--pretty cool/weird and exciting all at once, I really thought it was a Wolf attacking a deer...in Georgia.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Long ago on a warm afternoon during squirrel season I was a young lad setting along a logging haul road just watching the treetops when I heard "crunch" like a footstep in the dry leaves. Then another "Crunch!" a little closer, followed a few seconds later by "CRunch!!" even closer. Sounded like someone walking slowly toward me but there was no one there. Confused
Finally I walked toward where the noise was coming from and found a large toad making haste along the trail. Then I found a huge hognosed snake a few feet behind him apparently in pursuit! I fired a .22lr at the snake's head and missed but he rolled over and played dead while Mr. Toad hauled ass out of sight.
It was just a little too wierd for me and I vacated the area too.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

The weirdest thing I have ever seen was George Clooney hunting squirrels in Pennsylvania.

Then I woke up!

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:

The pig walking across a 100 acre grain field BACKWARD in a straight line the whole way.

Kyler

Wow! Please tell us more about this. To me this is the weirdest thing written here so far.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
This is a Funny

While Musky fishing some years ago my brother and I were sleeping in our tent when we heard a noise from the boat. It was a paddle clunking the bottom of the alluminum jon boat. I woke up and slid out of my sleaping bag with a flashlight in hand and unziped the tent. I looked toward the boat to see a magnum sized coon running away with our loaf of bread in it's mouth crossways just a-bounsin away as it ran into the dark.

The bread was in a old coleman steel cooler and the coon turned the lock to get in. Smart litle buggers.

Now a Bad

Years ago I was bass fishing flooded timber flipping a 1/2 oz bass jig/pig when I fliped the jig a short distance from the boat to only have a stike as soon as it slid into the water.

I set the hook with way to much fury only to not hook a fish but LAUNCH this 1/2 bait into my left eye. I was istantly blind in my left eye and slightly in shock. I was not hooked but I was 9 miles upriver from my truck and by myself I boated to the truck and drove 30 miles home holding my left eye.

A trip to the E.R. and a trip to the eye doctor once a day for two weeks and a lot of meds I have regained my sight and now try hard to wear sunglasses when fishing.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Slug,

As far as the "why" I don't know much else about it. My wife happened to be with me and I was scouting a grain field to guide on later. The pig was small, really small. About a 30 pound piglet/shoat. The portion of the field it walked across gave it about a 300 yard path.

We spotted it walking backward when we first got to the field. As I recall it was early in the evening so there were no other pigs that we saw. The pig was walking very slowly. It would go maybe 8 or 10 steps backward and then take a couple steps forward. then go backward again... all the way across the field. I don't remember it turning around or looking around just going mostly backward and a bit forward. It went out the edge of the field and we never saw it again.

Once in a while the piglets will get foxtails in their eyes so maybe it had vision problems. Who knows. I've never seen anything else like it.

Another story I thought of was the client who hit a pile of rocks 6' or 8' from the group of pigs he was shooting at. All his friends laughed (this was NOT the first miss in that scenario) and the pigs kept running. About 20 yards further the pig (small, only about 60 lbs) on the side of the group closest to the rockpile started bucking around and fell over dead. Although we couldn't see any bullet holes we tagged it for the guy who had "missed" last, I dropped the hunters off for lunch and went to skin the pig. The only thing I ever found unusual about the pig were shards of rock deep in its neck (on the right side toward the rockpile). The guys never did believe me that there was no bullet hole (still don't to this day). Oh well.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The wife (then girlfreind) and I were standing on the dock at my familys lake cabin when we see a canoe coming down the lake. As it gets closer we notice that it is being paddled by to women. As it gets closer yet they are naked as it passes by with in about 10 feet of the dock I get a very dirty look from the wife.

As if I shouldn't be looking at a couple of naked good looking gals in canoe. Hell I was just trying to figure out what was up.

I told her viewing wild life was a life long hobby of mine I think she tried to push me in after that.

We have been married now going on 28 years so I don't think I was damaged by th experance.But it was close. Smiler

Posts: 19615 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Was muzzleloader hunting in SE Oklahoma one evening with a food plot in front of me and a pond about 50 yds behind me. It was just about to come to the end of the legal hunting time when some deer came into the food plot. I decided to shoot one and was just taking aim when there was this tremendous crash behind me--it was very loud--like a large tree falling. Of course the deer scattered, and I got down from my stand and cautiously approached the area from where the sound came. Sure enough, a huge tree had fallen--beavers had cut it down just at that moment. For an instant it had surely scared me, and the deer.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler, the pig walking backward reminded me of something that happend to me when I was 9 years old and living in Alabama.

While out in the wood lots I came across a snake (don't know what kind) I figured out somehow that if I would walk toward it the snake would slither away from me, then if I would stop, it would turn around and come toward me. Can't remember all the details to that one now but as I recall, the chasing game lasted a good while.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kyler, I decided one day to see how good I was with a 380 pistol.A squirrel was at the end of a branch of a large tree.At the first hit he went down the length of the branch ,two steps forward and one step back ! I hit him a second time as he got to the trunk.I found that the first round had hit and damaged the tendons of both rear ankles ,that's why the strange movement.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
found a dead guy in the road we were traveling on to go quali hunting. the time was about 0500 and he was quite dead. he had been hit by another car.

had a big black bear walk to within 5 steps of me when i was bowhunting elk in montana in 2006. we both ran in different directions.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of other funny ones.
Island Park Idaho. About 1985 had a bull moose walk so close to me and Laval that I could have reached out and pulled hair out of him. He just looked at me as he passed and keep walking. Buddy Laval and I just about crapped our selvesWink

A few years later near Spencer Idaho I shot a little three piont mullie, and he runs over the hill. I take off looking for him in the tall sagebrush. My friend Steve see's me and comes to help. Well I findly find him, nad he is hit just a little far back and still very alive but not moving. Heres the funny part. Steve being Steve decides he is going to knock him out. So he takes his loaded 30-06 and smackes the deer between the eyes with the butt of the gun. Well dumbass forgot he has a rubber buttpad on his rifle and now the deer is one pissed off unit. So Steve tries again! The deer musters enough streantgh and charges. Steve is screaming and running backwards, and the deer is snorting and staggering at him in the tall sage brush, and I'm laughing so hard I can't get a shot off with out risking hitting Steve. Man that was funny stuff. Lucky for Steve the deer was dang near bleed out and could not move very fast our it would have gored him for sure!
MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.../watch?v=qVQc386js7g

www.setfreesoldiers.com
www.soldiermade.com

Montana Maddness
Set Free Ministries MT.

7 days with out meat makes one Weak!

Posts: 422 | Location: Fort Benton MT. and in the wind! | Registered: 06 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I've had a few neat moments in the field, although they aren't as "weird" as some of the post.

I had 2 foxes playing around me all evening while bow hunting. I had enough and wanted them to leave, so I took one of the extra pins out of my API climber, threw it at one and out of luck hit him right in the rear. He barked and they both headed out in a hurry. 30 seconds later the little bugger came running in, stole my stand pin, and ran away.

Had a grey falcon catch a cat squirrel and land right at my feet while in full camo. That little squirrel was giving him a fit. He got a good grip and flew away.

Had an owl dive at my face while bow hunting. He must have seen my eyes move. Talk about getting your attention!

A panther screamed really close to me right after dark while I was getting ready to climb out of a deer blind. Talk about the eebie-jeebies...

When I was a youngster, papaw wanted me to walk through some thickets to push a deer out in the open in his direction. I was almost through the thicket when two deer jump and run straight torwards him, I yell "HERE THEY COME!" and he yells back "WHAAATTTT!" the deer turned and ran right back by me. It was quite funny. He was quite a funny old guy and we get a chuckle in camp telling stories like that about him.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great thread! A safe and successful hunting season to all you guys over there.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
About mid-October, 1974.

I was squirrel hunting near my home in south Alabama. Early in the season, lots of leaves still on the trees, so I had my shotgun instead of my .22 rifle.

Sitting at the base of a big, gnarly oak on the bank of a small creek.

About 30 yards to my left, a rabbit eased down to the creek, and stretched out to get a drink.

I shot, the rabbit jumped straight up, fell down and kicked about two times and died. Nothing unusual so far.

When I got home and skinned the rabbit - no holes!! From a 1 1/8 ounce load of 7 1/2 shot!!

I was curious enough to skin the rabbit all the way from toes to nose - still no holes!!!

Guess he died of a heart attack.

Doesn't say much for my shooting back then either, does it? animal

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingnut:

I shot, the rabbit jumped straight up, fell down and kicked about two times and died. Nothing unusual so far.

When I got home and skinned the rabbit - no holes!! From a 1 1/8 ounce load of 7 1/2 shot!!

I was curious enough to skin the rabbit all the way from toes to nose - still no holes!!!

Guess he died of a heart attack.

Doesn't say much for my shooting back then either, does it? animal

When we were kids my little sister got an easter rabbit. A few weeks later the rabbit got out of its pen; my family was sitting in the living room and saw the rabbit hopping across the lawn. We had a big outdoor house cat that was lying on the hood of my dad's farm truck that spotted the rabbit about the same time we did. The cat launched itself off the hood at the rabbit, and the rabbit fell over dead while the cat was still in the air. The cat landed next to the dead rabbit, poked it with his paw a couple of times like he was trying to wake it up, and walked off.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me and two buddies were bow hunting elk in Montana. It was just getting dark and I arrived back at the four wheelers about the same time as one of my buddies. We were both sitting on the four wheeler when I got out my cow call and started chirping. A second later I was dive bombed by an owl about the size of a football. He landed in the tree about 40 yds away. Not sure what to expect I chirped again, and sure enough he bombed me again. This happened about 5 more times, with one time he tried to land on my buddies head. We were both in full camo, it was dark, and he probably thought we were trees, and that I didnt sound like a cow elk?

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
This happened to me two days ago:

Buddy shot a small buck while archery hunting in the morning. We dragged it out of the woods and across about 200 yards of open field. Gutted it in the middle of the field to make a good place to catch a coyote eating dinner.

I decided to move over to that same property because of the big buck spotted the night before. Running out of time, I decided to hunt in the same tree as my friend. Went about 25 feet up the tree in my climbing treestand.

Thirty minutes before sunset - two hen turkeys wander by. I hear one fly up into the trees and less than a minute later hear the "whuff, whuff, whuff" sound of wings flapping nearby. Turn around just in time to see a big bird land 15' above me in the same tree! I first assumed it was the other hen, but then I moved and saw it's head - it was a turkey vulture. Only two small branches between me and it, and I stuck out pretty good in the open hardwoods. It looks down at me, opens it's beak, and I watch a plum-sized ball of red stuff go whizzing by my face. It hits the ground with a nice "squish" sound. I look back up and here comes another - only this time it hits one of the branches and splatters all over. I end up with a small chunk of red meat in my ear! After clearing the gunk out I wave my arms but the SOB won't leave! Finally it flys over to a nearby tree.

No doubt that it had gorged itself on the deer innards and had plans on digesting overnight. Fortunately for me it was fresh meat only - no digestive juices, etc. I just couldn't believe that of all the trees in the woods it found the same tree that the deer was shot out of in the morning! Probably should have bought a lottery ticket that night.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
This was funny afterwards, but when it occured it was terrifying.
When I was 16, a buddy and I were deer hunting out on his lease one morning. I was sitting on the ground up a against a big oak looking over a hardwood hillside that was bordered on two sides by young planted pine and an overgrown clearcut on the third. It was just getting light enough to see when I heard something coming out of the planted pines. It was making big heavy footsteps, breaking all sorts of branches, and huffing and puffing. My 16 year old imagination went in to overdrive. All sorts of things went thru my mind. I tried to be rational, thinking it was dogs or a person or something. Whatever it was, it was heading right towards me and making a heck of a racket. Ration gave way to thoughts of swamp monsters and chainsaw murderers, so I decided I was going to make my stand. I raised my 270 and aimed right where I expected the monster to come out. And come out it did...my monster turned out to be someone's horse. I stood there feeling like an idiot as the horse trotted by within 15 yards without even a glance my way and went into the neighboring clearcut. Later that morning when I met my buddy back at the truck, I told him that I had seen a horse trotting thru the woods ( I did not tell him it about scared me to death and about received a 130gr. Silvertip for its effort). He laughed and said his dad had seen the horse before and they didnt know who's it was as there was no farms nearby.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
My scariest moment was literally walking into a cow moose going into my hunting spot very early and very dark. Most of my scary moments seem to involve moose. However I'd rather be between a cow and calf then have a rattle snake crawl across my legs! That one takes the cake.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gas57
posted Hide Post
Not weird, amazing!
It has been about ten years. Me and my duck hunting buddy, we were in the blind, in the rice field, around El Campo, Texas. Our fellow friends and hunters were in the adjacent rice field, around 1/4 mile distant, to our right. After sun-up, a huge flock of pintails, we estimated, 1000 or more, began to buzz our blind. We watched in awe. Not a word was spoken, nor was a shot fired. After circling our spread and blind, they flew over to the next rice field. We called our buddies and pleaded, do not shoot, we will never see a show like this again. No-one fired, we watched and enjoyed the show. This went on for 45 minutes, back and forth. The joke was, they were bombing us and we did not care. I would love to experience this again and doubt I ever will. This was the best hunt that I did not fire a single shot on!!!

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults!

Posts: 903 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote