Find
Notify
Tools

Alien non-resident hunt Montana
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MattMck
posted
Hi all, I am a Brit and am planning a DIY hunt in Montana this fall. Anyone have a similar experience, or offer any advice?

Thanks
Matt

I do not hunt in order to kill, but kill in order that I have hunted.

'If ur'e gonna do it, do it right!'

Posts: 77 | Location: England | Registered: 12 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PMd you.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try their website (and I don't have it, sorry) and check to see if you need something such as a Hunter Safety Course.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MattMck
posted Hide Post
Hi no hunters ed needed unless bow hunting.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Just apply for your elk and deer tag by March 15th
In Idaho, you can buy it over the counter
Awesome hunting in both states
Just need to get familiar with the particular areas, holler at me and I can show you if you're hunting around Bitterroot valley South of Missoula and place to stay if you needed

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattMck:
Hi all, I am a Brit and am planning a DIY hunt in Montana this fall. Anyone have a similar experience, or offer any advice?

Thanks
Matt
I have topographical map of my hunting area, about 15 minute walk from my home, or 20 minutes away by truck. For details PM me with your email address.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MattMck
posted Hide Post
PM sent
Matt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey folks,

not sure I am following: you can hunt on your own, meaning w/o outfitter in Montana and Idaho as a NON-US citizen???

Now that would be quite something...

Posts: 337 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't believe they have any mandatory guide requirement.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I don't believe they have any mandatory guide requirement.

NO guide requirements in Montana.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Or Idaho
There is no such a thing as mandatory guide
Just get your nonresident license and you're in

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.

“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
quote:
not sure I am following: you can hunt on your own, meaning w/o outfitter in Montana and Idaho as a NON-US citizen???

Now that would be quite something...

As far as the state is concerned, a non-resident is a non-resident no matter if they are from the USA or not. Depending on your age, and the state you are hunting in, you may need to complete a hunter safety course. US states honor the Canadian hunter safety course but I don't know if the UK or German equivalents are honored or not.

Bringing a firearm in to the country is a federal matter. You'll need to get a federal permit and (I believe) you need to have a hunting license to get the permit.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Shit, plenty of us here from Montana will gladly loan you truck, guns and ammo for a Thank you
No worries there
Just get in decent shape for hiking

“ Hávamál”

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Check into Block Management Hunting in Montana.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MattMck
posted Hide Post
Hi Slider,
I saw this on the fish and game website, it seems too good to be true. What a state Montana is!
Matt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Or Idaho
There is no such a thing as mandatory guide
Just get your nonresident license and you're in

It works the same in CO. No mandatory guide required or even needed despite the fact that many guides try to tell people the only way they can kill elk is by paying the guides to take them.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
MattMck,

You come all this way I'll buy some beer and burgers and would be happy to point out a few places for you, generally Eastern MT and outside of Bozeman (WAY outside! All's been bought up around here). As another person posted, please look at Block Management places, particularly Central and Eastern Montana. I also recommend putting in for antelope in Eastern MT. Impossible to not have a ton of fun hunting antelope! Eastern MT allows for great deer, antelope, upland game and varmints. The miles on my vehicles attest to all the time I spend out there, none wasted.

PM me, along with others, and glad to help.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Wyoming would be the only state that would have some requirements and that would only be on what the government deems to be "Federal Wilderness Area".

In Wyoming you must be a resident or hunt with a guide to hunt the Wilderness Areas.

Saying that the vast majority of the hunting areas in Wyoming for antelope, deer and elk are not in wilderness areas.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote