Find
Notify
Tools

Lyme Disease Spreading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.sciencedaily.com/re.../05/140513091115.htm

As I assumed the disease is spreading ! Here in NY Catskill Mtns it's a very good year for Lyme .This is attributed to snow cover . Be careful !

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sci...-year-old-amber.html

Well it should have spread after 15 million years !! faint
I'll keep quiet . Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is DDT???

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far a friends dog is almost completely crippled from Lymes and a good friend is right now restricted to a wheel chair due to undiagnosed lymes disease advance stages, this is very serious disease called the sportsman aids and like everything else due to the travels of people and animals what was once restricted to certain areas doesn't hold anymore

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyme and the other tick-borne diseases are endemic here in the northeast....almost epidemic. We learn to live with it by having a very high level of suspicion in terms of symptoms and we always check for ticks after being out. Fever, headache, joint/muscle aches and lethargy at a time of year when you shouldn't have the flu means Lyme (or Ehrlichia or Babesiosis or Anaplasmosis) until proven otherwise. Permethrin is sprayed on all of my hunting clothing repeatedly throughout the season.

It's not going away anytime soon.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Norton.....Permethrin is the way to go. Spray it on your clothing, boots, etc. according to the instructions on the container. It works like magic. I also use it when spring bear hunting in Montana...never saw so many ticks...but never get them on me. Lyme disease is not an issue in MT, but I don't like the little buggers crawling on me.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Lyme and the other tick-borne diseases are endemic here in the northeast....almost epidemic. We learn to live with it by having a very high level of suspicion in terms of symptoms and we always check for ticks after being out. Fever, headache, joint/muscle aches and lethargy at a time of year when you shouldn't have the flu means Lyme (or Ehrlichia or Babesiosis or Anaplasmosis) until proven otherwise. Permethrin is sprayed on all of my hunting clothing repeatedly throughout the season.

It's not going away anytime soon.

Minnesota/Wisconsin is the other hotbed for Lyme disease and I was taught to do a full look-over for ticks after spending time in da woods or grass.

I visited Kansas City last summer and came home with three deer ticks on my leg. However when I called a doctor here in Minneapolis the morning after finding and very carefully plucking them off, they advised no further action after I applied some neosporin to the bites. That is when I learned how the threat of Lyme disease is geography-related and I just hope the spreading trend doesn't continue.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 776 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taxes, Mosquitos, Lyme disease, tornados and lutefisk. Plus hotter and more humid than Georgia or colder than Siberia. All good reasons to live in Minnesota.

Escaped in 88'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lutefisk ought to cure Lyme ! 2020

In the Lower Hudson valley hot spot there shouldn't be that many clueless docs but they're there. My fight might be with me for some time !

One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Lutefisk ought to cure Lyme ! 2020

In the Lower Hudson valley hot spot there shouldn't be that many clueless docs but they're there. My fight might be with me for some time !

It has the added ability of stopping any Homo Sapiens in its tracks as well. shocker

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://vitalitymagazine.com/ar...e-disease-in-canada/

Back to serious !!

Here's an excellent article ,well written .with good info. This info shows it's a lot worse than I thought.I'm about to go IV as attempts so far have been unsuccessful by the "doctors" I'm back to where I was 1 year ago . Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
http://vitalitymagazine.com/ar...e-disease-in-canada/

Back to serious !!

Here's an excellent article ,well written .with good info. This info shows it's a lot worse than I thought.I'm about to go IV as attempts so far have been unsuccessful by the "doctors" I'm back to where I was 1 year ago . Mad

Why do you put doctors in "....."?

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK how about alleged doctors ? While I've met very fine doctors I've also met some who are not professional. Just like other professions .But in the hot spot of Lyme they should know something . This is this year a banner year for ticks !! "I'm back to where I was 1 year ago "
Spread the word , maybe we can change the odds for us patients .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mete....you might enjoy reading this:

http://discovermagazine.com/20...n-gothic#interactive

PS....I agree with you about some of my colleagues being less than sharp.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norton, thanks for that article. The comments to that article are especially interesting.
Hopefully all these articles will get some movement.

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
Taxes, Mosquitos, Lyme disease, tornados and lutefisk. Plus hotter and more humid than Georgia or colder than Siberia. All good reasons to live in Minnesota.

Escaped in 88'

Likewise, must have been a good year to leave!!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote