Notify
Tools

Re: Where to buy Alligator Hooks
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted
M16,

Large treble or shark hooks can be used but be very careful. It's highly illegal to catch gators this way in most states, not to mention a horrible and lingering death for the gator.

I'd stay away from it completely...

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
You don't have to hook them, though it's an option under the rules. You can also use a neck snare or rope. Neither sound especially convenient.

For all interested, the hooks aren't for killing, they're for holding while the killing is done by some more humane means (i.e. firearm). Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. doesn't want lost dead gators, or wounded ones running around.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
RSY,

I must admit a gator hooks sound really inhumane alhough I appriciate you guys are just trying to comply with the rules. So how would you go about using them? Bait them and then haul the gator in to be shot?

Are these hooks plain or stainless steel? A lot of guys who pike fish over here won't use stainless steel as if they loose a big fish, the hook stays intact too long...apparentlty plain steel rusts away relatively quickly giving a better chance of survival.

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote