Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 bullets for Mule Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted
I am thinking about a mule deer hunt this fall. I would like to take my 25-06. I have been using 100gr Hornady interlocks with great success on whitetails. Is this good enough for Mulies? Or shoould I consider more weight or different bullet alltogether?

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Well, might as well wade in here. I use a .25-06 regularly here in Colorado for pronghorn and mule deer. On the lighter animal, I've used the Hornady and the Nosler Ballistic Tip 100 grainers. On mule deer, and if I'm hunting bucks instead of does, I like a little more weight. The 115 and 120 grainers seem to have a bit more follow-through, especially if bone is hit. My heavier bullets are usually Nosler partitions or one of the X-bullets. Here's to your success.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
The 100 grainers will work fine if you place your shot carefully. I am currently using 115 gn BT's, but under certian circumstances the interlock may be a better choice. If I went to an interlock it would be the 117 grainer for mulies but a 120 gn Speer is also an excellent mulie bullet.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100gr. Nosler Partitions, or even better 100gr. Barnes TSX's. They work fine for me on every thing from deer to moose and elk, drive for the boiler room and they will die just as quick as anything else.

Posts: 120 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
You are fine with the interlocks. Have fun!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several mule deer here in Utah, and quite a few antelope in Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado, with the 115 gr. Nosler partition. Two friends borrowed my rifle and each made a one-shot kill on cow elk with the same load, although in my opinion the .25-06 is generally a little light for elk. I use Rem. brass, 54.5/IMR-7828, and the Fed. 215 primer. This load has been extememly accurate in several different Rem. 700s. I have also used the 100 gr. partition on antelope and it worked fine. I have settled on the 115 gr. partition for everything I shoot with the .25-06 except varmints. The 87 gr. Rem. PLHP is a great bullet for rockchucks.

posted Hide Post
I use either the 115 or 100 grain Nosler Ballistic tips. I have seen little difference in the performance side by side with these two bullets. I load the 115 to 2950 fps and the 100 gr to 3050 fps.

Posts: 29 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're happy with the 100 Gr. Interlocks on Whitetail, you'll be happy with them for Muleys.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As already mentioned, if you are having good success on whitetails then your load will work on mule deer.

Having said that, I have seen 100 grain Hornady spire points come apart on small California deer on a couple of occasions. I have to admit this was a while back, possibly before the introduction of the Interlock feature, not sure.

If you like the 100 grain bullets, I would suggest switching to the 100 grain Nosler Partition. My buddies and I have shot LOTS of stuff with these. Just last week we shot two more wild hogs with them. Very good performance every time.

However, there is something to be said for the heavier bullets. The load that Dale lists above for the 115 Nosler Partition would be about perfect for mule deer. I have shot several wild hogs and antelope with the 115 Partition and 115 Ballistic Tip and could not tell the difference in performance.

R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd doubt that the "average" mule deer was 50lbs bigger than the average whitetail. Not enough of a difference to worry about in regards to bullet constuction for sure.

Because I hunt in BC, and I might well encounter a Moose, Elk or Bear while deer hunting I usually use a "penetrating" type bullet in my 25-06. I've had great luck with 100 and 115 grain Noslers. I love the new Barnes TSX's in 100 or 115 grain too.

If it were me, and I wouldn't worry about any decent bullet - what's worked so far for white tails will be ideal. But, if being in the mountains means you might encounter a bear, elk or moose and be able to take it - think about one of the heavier Barnes's or Noslers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Barnes 100 gr. TSX in my .25-06(also in my .25 WSSM and .257 Weatherby) this last season hunting Mule Deer bucks with excellent results. They will out penetrate the Nosler 115 gr. Partition's that I always used before. These new TSX bullets from Barnes have made a believer out of me. Accurate with deep penetration is a combination you can’t beat. For over 40 years I used and recommended Nosler Partition’s but now I am changing over to Barnes TSX. Lawdog
thumb thumb

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I was just looking through my new cabellas shooting catalog and I see that Nosler now has a .257 110 grain accubond. Ill definatley be giving that one a try.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote