Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you have both a .338 & .375?
 Login/Join

posted
For a medium game rifle does it make sense to get a .338 mag for Alaska & Elk if you know you will be going to Africa with buffalo on the menu? I figure that if I am going to Africa a .338 is pointless because you won't have a back-up for the heavy rifle. While a .338 is about perfect for Alaska you can't take it to Africa (but you can take the .375 to Alaska). Is there some attribute to a .338 that I am overlooking?

one of us
posted Hide Post
It CAN make perfect sense.
Here is one way.

Get an "Alaskan" 338. ie syhthentic stock, stainless or other rust resistant finish.
Fairly light eight for rugged country hunting.

Get an "African" 375 H&H. Wood stock, express sights, a little bigger bbl than a normal "American" rifle so to holds a little steadyier off hand of in the sticks.

Both with back up iron sights and scopes in QD rings.

Makes perfect sense to me. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you could have only one rifle for all of NA, then a .338winmag would be great (throw in a .280 for light rifle). If you are making a trip or two to Africa, then it's the .375h&h (again, throw in a .280 for small stuff). I like the .338 bore for big game, even deer size game. Recoil isn't any worse than a .300winmag & just seems to hit harder. beer
Me, I skipped over the .375h&h & went .404jeffery (.416Rigby or .416Rem, same same). It's nice to have a backup heavy but if I loose my Tuffpak I've lost both rifles anyway. I take an extra presighted scope just incase a grmelin pops up, but no problems as of yet.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good point about the "African" and "Alaskan" versions...

The main reason I brought this topic up is ammo availability. In Alaska I figure finding .338 or .375 is equally likely. But in Africa, I would say there is a much higher probability that I would find .375.

The heavy rifle in Africa is a scoped .450/.400 double, no ammo available at all.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Not being a .338 fan sofa I would opt for a .375, and if Alaska is a destination, easily acquired in stainless. 2020

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An interesting note perhaps jsrieck, but in several field trials I have participated in, every single person in the field, held a lightweight rifle more steadily. This was after a brisk walk or jog of 250 to 300 yards.

As to the 375, or 338, the 375 might be a bit more versatile if you are handloading for it, but if just factory fodder no matter. I mention the versatility because a guide I know who is headquartered at a ranch in Texas, use the .375 for everything except Elephant. He loads it down with lighter bullets for deer etc. and then 'steps it up' for bigger critters. He happens to have a muzzle break on this rifle--sacrilege--I know--but it is the type that can be turned off, which he does when afield with African PH's. That damn thing is really accurate by the way, and is pretty pleasant to practice with if you open up that break.....

Good shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need both. Gotta have a back up.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both but the 338 gets out more often.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with N E 450 No2.

I have a 375 and my next rifle will be a 338. The 338 is perfect for plains game. The 375 for dangerous game.

No doubt the 338 is great for bears etc.

Todd

==============
Todd J. Rathner
The T. Jeffrey Safari Company
www.tjsafari.com
520-404-8096

Please visit our BLOG: http://www.tjsafari.com/blog.cfm

Posts: 341 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're not thinking clearly IMO. You need a .338 and .375, I have both and will have a .375 Ruger when available. After acquiring these two, you'll need a .416 of some sort, then you can use the .375 for a backup for DG. Then you need a double .470 strictly for a stopper on wounded DG. If carefully planned, you will never run out of rifles you really need. That said, the .338 really has more uses in NA than the .375.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Lets see now, I sold my 338 but kept my 340 Weatherby, and also have a 35 Whelen and a 375 H&H along with a 458. I see the situation but don't see the problem.

If it came down to it and I could only have one rifle for everything, it would be the 375. If I could have two, it would be the 375 and either a 458 Win.Mag. or a 416 Rigby.

My choice of the 340 weatherby over the 338, may have been based more on the rifles themselves, and not the cartridges. My 338 was a Ruger No.1, while the 340 is the Mark V sporter. I prefer long barreled bolt actions over any otyher rifles. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been so impressed with the .375 H&H that I have no interest in anything that's in the same category. I'm not a gun-collector I'm shooter/hunter, so I tend to not have things that don't have a specific niche and can perform a wide variety of tasks.

You can certainly have both rifles of course... Smiler

For me it's just not necessary and to be honest the recoil of the .338 M77/MkII I had was noticeably more abusive than my .375 RSM even on the bench. To me the .375 is simply wonderful and extremely versatile and easy to work with.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jsrieck
Tell me about your scoped 450/400. thumb

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both but I f I had to get rid of one the .338 win mag would go..................................maybe simply because the .375 H&H has a lot more character to it, while I admire the .338 win mag the .375 H&H is caliber that one generally can LIKE more Smiler

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say 338 RUM for the long range work and the 375 H&H for everything else. The 338 and 375 can be had in equally light rifles, my 375 only weighs 6lbs 4oz with the scope detached.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Sold my 338 Win Mag today Roll Eyes

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If your 200 miles into the Alaskan bush, youd better have taken care of your ammo reguardless of what caliber it is.

Perhaps a compromise is in order, perhaps a 376 Steyr.. Wink

Posts: 10161 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H.C.
posted Hide Post
What a silly question, of course you can have both! You should have both! You deserve to have one (or more) of each. Now go out there and get yourself some more guns!!!!! thumb jumping

So Many Guns, So Little Time!

Posts: 61 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
An interesting note perhaps jsrieck, but in several field trials I have participated in, every single person in the field, held a lightweight rifle more steadily. This was after a brisk walk or jog of 250 to 300 yards.

Actually I have found the exact opposite. A heavier barrel is easier to keep steady- b/c of momentum/inertia.

I am a firm disbeliever in the jack of all trades rifle. I'd rather have five or six specialized rifles rather than one that does everything "marginally."

I too like the 340 Wby, kicks the same as my 338 win (and I also think not much more than my 300 win). Nice and flat shooting- same trajectory with 250gr bullets as a 300 win with 180s. Perfect for moose & bear. A bit more than necessary for elk, but on the same token a 300 win win is perfect for elk but a bit light for grizzly.

My recommendation is get a 300 win for elk, a 340 wby for moose/bear, a 375 H&H for grizzly/africa backup and a 416 rigby for buffalo.

P.S. I'm having a 375 H&H being built now to span between my 340 wby and my 416 rigby.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1434 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Personally, I have a 7mm Rem Mag, a 30-06, a 338 Win mag, a 375 H&H, a 45-70 and a 458 Lott. As far as Africa and Alaska, I would feel very comfortable taking the 375 H&H and the 458 Lott. Either will work for the big ugly stuff that bites and the 375 would work well for any of the stuff that doesn't at longer distances. All bases are covered.

Posts: 4 | Location: Colorado USA | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I have two 33's and a 416 and plan on a 375 someday along with a 9.3. So I guess it's OK to own both. If you really don't like the idea of owning too many rifles than do the 375 thing.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Not being a .338 fan sofa I would opt for a .375, and if Alaska is a destination, easily acquired in stainless. 2020

In Alaska, however, the .338WM is way on top along the .30-06, and .300WM. The .375 H&H is a great caliber for Alaska, except that it gets a little heavy if one has to walk far.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote