THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    First reloading batch... 300 win mag range report...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First reloading batch... 300 win mag range report...
 Login/Join

<David Boren>
posted
First time testing reloads in my gun. Not just any reloads, but my own reloads. My best luck was with 75.5 grs of RL22 behind a 180 gr Partition. Out of a three shot test, two of the rounds landed in the same hole. Pretty impressed with self. And load seems to have potential, even though it is a little on the hot side. It does slighty flatten the primers, but no added recoil. Kinda off topic, but amusing nontheless; I have a Harris bipod on my rifle, and to use the little cast-iron bolt down stand on my grandpas shooting bench, I put the back of the folded bipod in front of the rest... bad idea. When I shot, the recoil broke that little cast iron shooting rest in half. It quite a suprise when you shoot and instead of the gun recoiling upwards it falls to the table. Oh well, really hyped. As to the high pressure of my load... should I try back it down from 75.5 to 75 grs and see what happens?

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
75.5 seems like a warm load, and your gun is telling you that your reaching the limit that it can safely handle. Alliant's max for the 180 gr. & RL22 is 76.9. This is with a Speer 180 gr. spitzer, so the Partition may boost pressure slightly. I'd say you should back down to 75.0 grs., you may find it to be more accurate. Sounds like a good load though.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flattened primers by themselves, without other pressure signs, are PROBABLY not a sign of high pressure. Flattened primers with a sticky bolt and extractor marks on the case head are signs of excessive pressure.

I'd back off .5 and one grain to see if you can achieve the same accuracy with less powder. If not, I'd probably continue with the your current load given that it seems accurate.

When I changed my bullet in my test loads from Sierra to Partitions my pressures skyrocketed; sticky bolt, shiny extractor marks.I backed off two to three grains to keep the load safe.

[This message has been edited by parshal (edited 05-20-2002).]

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that slightly flattened primers are no sure indicators of high pressure but in combination with any shiny raised spots on the case head means backing off two grains. Truly if a grain or two of powder makes any difference I would like to see it demonstrated.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I checked, and 75.5 grs. is the max. load listed in the #4 Nolser book.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait for a nice hot day. Let your ammo get up to temp and be sure that your gun sits in the sun for a while. Then fire a few. I bet you blow some primers! Maybe worse. You don't need to hot rod a 300 winny to collect your elk. Guarantee the animal won't know you had 50 fps less muzzle velocity.

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I was gonna raise the "conditions" question, for two reasons.

First, under what meteorlogical conditions did your load display pressure? It makes a big difference.

Secondly, I bet you hunt elk in the same weather I do (since we both live in western MT) and if memory serves, I usually freeze my 'nads off at that time of year! Your load MAY be safe under those conditions.

Either way, backing off a little is a useful idea since the velocity loss won't hinder your hunting one iota.

Good to hear the loading is going well!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote