New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Titanium
 Login/Join

<Bill>
posted
I just picked up a Remington 700 3006 Titanium yesterday. The gun is very light, the reciever is titanium, while the bolt and 22" bbl are stainless.

I outfitted the gun with a Leupold Compact 3-9x33 scope on Leupold rings and bases.

Shot it this morining with factory Remington 150 grain corelock ammunition. Accuracy was right around 1 moa and velocity was 2975 from an Oehler 35P 10' in front of the gun.

Will keep everyone updated as I start load devlopment.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 07-22-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
What does it truly weigh both bare and with a scope and rings all set ready to go?
In the past I was never fond of the light weights as they were usually TOO light. I have a Wby Ultra Lt Wt now in .280 and with a light nylon sling, 2.5-8X Leupold and three rounds of ammo it weighs in at 6 pounds 15 3/4 ounces, on a postal scale. Talk about a perfect combination! Not TOO light but not TOO heavy either. Swings well, shoots great and didn't break the bank to buy.
The titanium 700's interest me so keep us informed of how yours works out.
Thanks......Frank N.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Frank,

I do not have a scale, but I do have a Weatherby ULW(9 lug, a pound heavier then yours I believe). This gun feels much lighter, this may be subjective and in my head, but the gun with the small scope, light rings and bases and 22" bbl just feels lighter to me.

As for it being too light, I can tell yet as I have only shot 150 grain loads. They did not seem to harsh, and the gun was quite manageable.

Will keep you posted, Bill.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Met a friend at the range yesterday with a brand new 700 Titanium in .30-06 as well. Can't add much to the discussion here except to say that this rifle does NOT have Remington's standard tupperware stock.

I'd bet fifty bucks that it is equipped with a Brown Precision stock. It is a true fiberglass stock, and I think he said it is reinforced with Kevlar, and the shape feels to me exactly like Brown's Custom Pre-Finish stock. This is a good thing as I've always like the shape of those Browns. I have two on short action Model 700's and they make for a well handling rifle. No checkering on this one, as on all Browns, but a well done rough texture finish. Rough enough to hold onto but not so bad to sandpaper your face.

My friend was getting 3 shot groups a little over an inch but he was just breaking in the barrel yesterday, hadn't started real load development. I fired it a couple of times and the recoil is not bad at all, that very straight stock and good recoil pad really tame it. He was using 150 grain bullets and the recoil was less than my much heavier Model 70 shooting full power 180 grain loads.

It is definitely light, that's for sure!

[This message has been edited by Jim in Idaho (edited 07-23-2001).]

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was reffering to how poorly a really light rifle swings and holds, not the recoil. One has to expect more recoil in anything that weighs five or six pounds. The price you pay for the loss of all that weight. But with a decent stock design (straight comb) they really don't beat you up too badly.
I am going to try to do some load work for my ULW in .280 this week. The loss of two pounds versus my other .280 which is a 26" , #3 taper barrel Rem 700 makes the ULW a lot easier to pack up and down the MT hills!

BILL......Can't you just take your rifle into the local post office and weigh it? Thats what I do. Then again thats one of the beauties of rural life in Montana you can take rifles to the PO to weigh without raising any eyebrows. Saw you were from NY and couldn't resist....Sorry.

[This message has been edited by Frank Nowakowski (edited 07-23-2001).]

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, Congratulations on the new rifle and thanks for telling us about it.

I must admit that I'm a bit shocked by the 2975fps for the 150gr "factory" Core-Lokt ammo. They only specify 2910fps in a 24" barrel. And real decent accuracy too.

How good was the trigger out-of-the-box?

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
This is what Remington says on thier website:

Remington is proud to introduce the lightest production rifle on the market, rivaling custom rifles at a fraction of the cost � the new Model 700 Titanium Ultimate Lightweight weighs in at a mere 5 1/2-pounds. Constructed with a Titanium receiver and skeletonized bolt assembly, the Model 700 Titanium features a standard 22-inch mountain contour, 416 stainless steel barrel. Unlike other lightweight rifles, the Model 700 Titanium Ultimate Lightweight eliminates the weight from the receiver and bolt and increases bolt rigidity and cycling capabilities with the addition of spiral bolt flutes. And with all the great features of the traditional Model 700, this rifle offers the dependability and "out-of-the-box" accuracy that consumers expect. Bedded into a new B & C carbon fiber and aramid fiber reinforced, composite stock, furnished with sling swivel studs and drilled and tapped for scope mounts, the Model 700 Titanium just may be the ultimate lightweight-hunting rifle. The Model 700 Titanium Ultimate Lightweight is available in .260 Remington, .270 Win., 7mm-08 Remington and .30-06 Spfd.

Hot Core, the trigger was alright, a lot different then the Weatherby triggers I am use to.

one of us
posted Hide Post
"I'd bet fifty bucks that it is equipped with a Brown Precision stock"

"Bedded into a new B & C carbon fiber and aramid fiber reinforced, composite stock,..."

Did I say fifty bucks? CENTS, I meant fifty cents!

posted Hide Post
5 1/2 pounds! Phew ... that's lighter than my old Mossberg .22! Bill, beware, your forearms will atrophy and soon you won't be able to carry a real rifle ever again!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I shot the gun again today, here are the results.

All of the following loads use the Hornandy 150 grain Sprie point, New Federal Nickel Brass and WLR primers with an OAL of 3.257". Velocity was determined from 5 shot groups, while a 3 shot string was used for relative accuracy due to the thin bbl contour.

49.0 RL15, 2688fps, 2.813"
51.0 RL15, 2796fps, .386"
53.0 RL15, 2906fps, .425"

I was rather pleased with the results from such a light factory rifle.

When checking distance to the throat with my OAL gauge I noticed that this gun has a lot of "freebore", I was wondering if this was common in Remingtons? This is the first 700 I have owned, very happy so far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill, Nice groups!

Strange you should mention the "Freebore".

I have a 308Win M700BDL-DM that has a 0.080" longer Throat than a buddies 308Win Weatherby Ultra-Lightweight. Just compared the two rifles a couple of weeks ago.

My rifle is the Remington Short Action with a MAX Magazine box length of 2.850", so the bullets need to be a bit deeper to function through it.

His Wby U-L appears to have a magazine length of 2.950"-3.000". I didn't take it totally apart to check that, but if you know, I'd be interested.

Anyway, what it comes down to is that if I choose to use Round Nose Bullets in my M700, then it has an advantage. And I do use a lot of RNs for my Deer hunting. But, if my buddy desires to use a Scirocco or Sierra MatchKing with those long tapered ogives, then the advantage goes to his Weatherby.

So, I agree with what you are seeing.

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Bill, I'm glad to hear the rifle is a "keeper". I'm thinking one in the new 7mm SAUM would be a great mountain rig. I also like your choice in scopes, so many guys buy a light weoght rifle & then put a big 3x-9x scope on it? Good luck woth the new rig.

Frank N., that's mean teasing a NY or Calif. boy w/ the post office thing. Talk like that in one of those PC states could probably get you arrested! I hope to get my .20 up & running next month, just in time for Monatana!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Tried a few more loads today.

New Federal Nickel cases, WLR primer

150 Barnes XLC boattail
50.0 IMR4064, 2785 (1"@100)
52.0 IMR4064, 2960 (1.5"@100)
54.0 IMR4064, 3042 (2"@100)

150 Hornandy SST
53.0 RL15, 2898 (1"@100)

The Barnes XLC did quite well at the lower velocities @100 yards, the first two shots out of three wouls land in the same hole with the third opening the group up. I think next time I will allow the bbl to cool longer.

I am considering the XLC in 150 for deer later this year.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 07-30-2001).]

<Jordan>
posted
Hefted a 700 Titanium this weekend in .30-06. Man is it a keeper. From a casual handling it really exudes quality and the lightness is unbelievable. The only draw back is the Rem J-lock, but Greg Tannel of Gre-Tan Rifles sells a complete aftermarket firing pin/shroud and spring without the j-lock. Tolerances are supposed to be a little better too.

Jordan

<Bill>
posted
Jordan,

Do you have contact info? I would like to rid the bolt of this blemish.

Thanks,

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

How do you like that pinging sound in your ears when you fire that fiber/aluminum/titanium thing? Reminds me of the AR-15. Just doesnt seem to inspire any pride of ownership.

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
This is the web site
http://www.gtrtooling.com/

<Bill>
posted
I thought it was a quality ping??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno, maybe my ears can't hear high pitched pings anymore. When I shot one all I heard was "bang".

<Bill>
posted
There is a "ping" or a "twang" similar to the M16 when you fire it.

Some other people I spoke to experienced this, and a few I shot around heard it.

I spoke to a friend in the industry, he mentioned that he has heard this on similar ultralight type Remingtons.

I wonder if it has something to do with teh thin bbl contoyr as well as the hollow stock. At any rate the gun shoots very well for such a light rifle, I will defintely keep it.

While I am here I might as well mention the extremely rough bore. I have never seen the grooves of a rifle this rough with my own eyes, funny thing is it does not seem to effect accuracy, nor does it contributed to the heavy fouling I am used to in a bore like this.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 07-31-2001).]

<Jordan>
posted
Re: the Gre-Tan replacement firing pin and shroud assembly for the Remington J-lock. Greg's phone in Kersey, Colorado is {970) 353-6176.

Jordan

<Matt77>
posted
Can I get one in a 375 rum?
Imagine holding on to that beast.
Sounds like a good high country rifle, and I bet that 30-06 has a pretty decent muzzle jump.

<Bill>
posted
I finally figured out how to post with a picture, well at least I think I did.

This is a target from the first time I started devloping loads for my 700 Titanium. The first three shots from each string are labeled as are number 4 and 5 from each that opened the group.

Not bad for a superlight rifle, huh?

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
This add is a little old. Does anybody have any updated inf. Now that some of these guns have done some huntin bt this time???MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
Maddog,

I can tell you that the gun has shot every other load I sent through it since the last time I posted.

I will not hunt with it this year as it is one of many guns and there is so little time to hunt with my schduel, so nothing to report on that front.

The next trip I am taking is to Argentina next month and I will be using a gun my friend already has there, otherwise I would have brought it there.