New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black bear attacks 5 yoa girl.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just friendly furry forest critters doing what friendly furry forest critters do.

http://www.freerepublic.com/fo...f-chat/3654928/posts

Posted on ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018‎ ‎2‎:‎34‎:‎51‎ ‎PM by george76

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. – A 5-year-old girl suffered serious injuries after she was attacked by a bear overnight in east Orchard Mesa.

The girl had gone outside around 2:30 a.m. early Sunday to investigate noises she thought were being made by her dog, the girl’s mother told Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers.

But the girl’s mother heard her daughter screaming and went outside to see a “large black bear” dragging her daughter, CPW officials said. The bear dropped the girl after her mother screamed at it. Their home is in the east Orchard Mesa area, above the Colorado River corridor, officials said.

The girl was transported to St. Mary’s Medical Center in Grand Junction with serious injuries, CPW said. Radio traffic from first responders said she had been bitten on her back and near her head.

(Excerpt) Read more at abc15.com

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Been thru there many times over the years since I started hunting elk in 1992. That is a pretty highly populated area. Hope the little girl does well.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Five and tending the dog??
Must live in the country and be independent types. No Daddy?

Lucky kid.

As it's been said: "that's bear country"

P/Dog: Your typing skills suck, check the header. HA!

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
P/Dog: Your typing skills suck, check the header. HA!

Yes they do.

I need a personnel editor are you volunteering. Big Grin

But I have shot many p dogs at ranges a lot wouldn't believe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still trying to figure out what a five year old girl was doing up at 2:30 AM much less outside by herself.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boliep:
I am still trying to figure out what a five year old girl was doing up at 2:30 AM much less outside by herself.

Kids do strange things at times. guess you'd better keep the door locked. Bears are nocturnal. Shit happens, small child flopping around, looking helpless and the prey instinct kicks in.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky she wasn't killed. Withholding judgement on the family situation here since there's no info but in my experience over 20 years, when I get a call from the ER about a child being bitten by a dog after midnight 99% of the time I can predict the home environment.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Local news here said about the same thing as P dogs report but the film showed a chicken coop torn up and the girl stated she heard noises outside that woke her and thought it was her dog getting into something.
The Colorado Parks and Wildlife said they were looking for the Bear to euthanize it. Girl is in fair condition in the hospital this morning.
Mother woke up when she heard the girl scream and ran outside and screamed when she saw the Bear leaving with her daughter, the bear then left the scene.
This is from Colorado Springs news this morning (Monday)

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure the kid went to check on her dog.

Stuff happens with kids.

Had nephew that would sleep walk.

he headed out to the barn at 30 below one night at 7 yoa in his PJs.

The parents put high locks on the doors after that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish and game kills bear involved in his attack

http://denver.cbslocal.com/201...unction-bear-attack/

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Good news on that.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
The Bear killed only weighed 125-130 pounds.

Years ago I had a discussion with a DOW guy and he said when they get Bear calls there are only 2 sizes 300 pounds and 500 pounds and as he explained he said when people call in about problem Bears or sightings the DOW asks was it a small Bear or a big Bear and more than half say 500 pounds the rest say 300 pounds. In reality the average Bear killed in Colorado is 150-190 pounds. There are big Bears here but few are killed.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote