Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tripod as a Rifle rest????
 Login/Join

posted
After reading David's earlier post about selecting a tripod for use with a spotting scope, I was wondering if anybody uses their tripod as a rifle rest as well? Most tripods have a quick release adapter plate to enable camera's or scope's to be changed quickly. I envisage a small padded U shaped section of plastic pipe being fixed to a spare plate so it can be fixed to the tripod relatively quickly.

I am not sure how useful such a rifle rest would be, but as the tripod is being carried anyway the additional weight would seem a small price to pay for some additional versatility. Maybe it could even replace the need for one the tall Harris bipods in certain conditions??

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a tripod at the range occasionally with big bores so I can shoot more comfortably than I can from the bench.

Here is a link to the Stoney Point tripod yoke made for this very purpose:

www.stoneypoint.com./v_yoke_index.html

Nice accessory.

Regards,

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I've got two tripods that I bought specifically for this purpose. One is a SMALL thing I got at Wally World, of all places, for five or six bucks, and the other is a standard photography tripod. I've been playing with bags and such, but now that I know about the V-Yoke, I'll be ordering a couple. They seem to be just what I've been needing.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Tom Blimkie>
posted
I use my camera tripod with a small piece of fashion metal plate to which I've soldered a nut that matches the pan-head screw. Plate is covered in foam rubber and wrapped with black electric tape. Have the unit strapped to one leg with a couple wraps of tape for easy access. I find it extremely handy because of the adjustable features and use it for camera, binoculars, spotting scope and rifle rest. And it only weights about a pound or so (made of tubular aluminum)

Tom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snipercountry.com has some informal instruction for making a rifle rest that you can screw onto a standard tripod.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/SniperSaddle.html

Check out the rest of the site while you are there. You won't be dissapointed.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pullman, WA, USA | Registered: 03 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have used my standard spotting scope tripod as a rest. It works perfectly from a kneeling or sitting position. I don't profess to be very bright because I musta lugged that thing around for 10 years, and shot off wobbly packs, stumps, jackets, and you name it, before I realized the tripod would make a good rifle rest. I haven't made any modifications -- I just extend the legs and put the forestock of the rifle on the top of the tripod.

I killed my bison last year this way. Three shots from a 375 H&H. ranging from 200 to 300 yards. Two of the bullets were recovered 4 inches apart, the other passed right through. I was happy, and will use my tripod every time I have the time to set it up!

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote