Find
Notify
Tools

Markhor picture
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T
posted
This photo was taken last week. Not Afghanistan. Texas.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This photo was taken last week. Not Afghanistan. Texas.

I think the corn gives that away.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the pic--I've forgotten how interesting these animals look---another thing to add to the ever growing list--chris

Posts: 294 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 29 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
1 Photo,
5 billys
$50,000.

We need to start raising Markhor, Ibex, and Whitails

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
How do you get those Markhor? I have land down here I could raise them in.

Once you get a small breeding-group going, the things would practically raise themselves, and $9,000 a head ought to more than cover feed and vet. supplies.

I'm not sure how well a furry Himilayan (sp?) goat would do in the South Alabama heat though.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
That's kind of like raising Alaskan Malmutes there.

You know the damn Texans do it in the hill country you could do it in Alabama, not going to be much difference. If you lived on the gulf coast you might want to consider something else though.

You can buy them at auctions. Every saterday there are two exotic animal auctions in Texas. Not sure about the names one is Kifaru, the other is in Uvalde I think?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Where I'm at in Andalusia, it's only 47 miles through the air to the Gulf of Mexico.

It's about 70 to drive it though ... never understood that.

Malamutes don't do too well down here in the summers either. Some folks raise them, but you almost have to keep them inside in air-conditioning, or at the least somewhere cool and shady during the summer.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I would consider that to be a very bad idea then. It would suck to have a heat wave and lose $20K worth of breeding stock in one day.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
In the spring of '05 I was hunting turkey in the Texas hill country. The ranch I was on had Markhors. Those damn things can climb a tree like a cat. We saw several 20' up in oak trees. The owner told me they have to really be careful about keeping the trees trimmed away from the high fence. If they don't they will walk through the tree tops to the neighbors ranch. It's one of those things you have to see to believe!!

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
If you've got some land a stock trailer and can build fence I would rase kudu, roan, nyala, or sable.

They are all similarly priced to Markhor, and you will always have someone to sell them to.