New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Zeiss 10x-40's
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd say anything under $600.00 is a bargain even for the original Victory series. I've wondered since their introduction if they weren't the victim of bad press.

I understand the "II's" have upgraded strap lugs, but I'm not sure it was ever confirmed that Zeiss made any actual changes to the optics. Anyone have any solid info about this?

Mind if I ask where they were on clearance at?

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Swarovski's and my best friend has the Zeiss. Not a whit of difference, except that I think I like the exterior coating--rubberized armor--better on his Zeiss. They are a bit bulky on your neck strap when stalking, but the magnification and field of view are worth it IMO.

Good luck and Good Hunting--Don.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a pair for 5 years now and love them when I want to carry a full size pair of Binos. I have a friend that has the Leica and they are somewhat clearer but the extra weight would not make me buy them. I also have a pair of Leica 8X25's that I use when I do not want to feel like a St Bernard as was previously mentioned. I bought my clasics off of ebay for $450.00 and consider that a steal.

<95yjcoup>
posted
Hey Kevin,

I've used my Zeiss 10x40's for the last 22 years and would not change them for anything else ....sure, there's better glass out there but I've used mine for so long that I prefer to keep using them. I should probably qualify---I went to the Zeiss's from a set of $30 Bushnell 7x35's....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I understand the "II's" have upgraded strap lugs, but I'm not sure it was ever confirmed that Zeiss made any actual changes to the optics. Anyone have any solid info about this?

Buster, check this out: Better View Desired

I got myself a pair of Victory II 8x40s for about $700.That is a lot less than what you pay for a top of the line Swaro EL or Leica Ultravid. For the price, I find the Victory a great glass. I have no problem with either smell or rubber coating - which some people have complained about, not sure why?

That said, I compared the Victory II 8x40 to my Swaro 8.5x42 EL, and the Swaro won hands down, except for weight and price. I liked both the ergonomics and the optics of the Swaro better. But there you go, for 4-500$ less than the absolute top of the line, I find the Victory a great buy.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my 10x40 Classic's. I think that they are a fantastic glass for the price. At best you get incremental improvement compared to cost at going to higher priced premium binos.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ended up picking up a used pair of 8x30 SLCs for 500 bucks. I'm sure they'll make me happy and if I ever feel the need for more power I can buy the 10x40's. Thanks for the input guys.

Posts: 1525 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ended up picking up a used pair of 8x30 SLCs for 500 bucks.

In my "mini test" of available binocs (see post about Zeiss Victory II 8x40 and Swaro EL 8.5x42 above), my Swaro SLC 8x30 did amazingly well. And, this is even the model prior to "Swarobright" coating. I love the size and versatility of the 8x30 class binocs, and the Swaro SLC seems to be a very good representative.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buster,

They were at Ron Shirks in PA, 717-272-5671.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
As an Alaskan guide I've worn binoculars daily for twenty five years. For many years the 10x40 Zeiss were my favorite. I've since moved on to the Leica Duovids for my work but for just a serious hunter you will still have a hard time beating the Zeiss 10x40 for the price. Look at the Nikon LX and the Pentax line but if $$$ are a consideration you could do a lot worse than the old Zeiss.

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased two pair, one for me, and one for my wife for glassing game, etc. I love mine. I agree there may be slightly better bino's out there, but as a hunter, I think the 10 by 40 classic's are very good. I got mine from Cabella's, which is still a good deal.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote