New
Find
Notify
Tools

Desert Bighorn Sheep hunt on EBAY
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just found an add on ebay that may be of interest to someone. It seems that an Indian Reservation in Nevada/Oregon is selling 2 bighorn sheep hunts on EBAY. The place has never been hunted before, (or so says the add).

Anyway, since I don't have the $10,000+ laying around, I thought I'd pass this along. I would research it, but it would be a great deal if true. As of last night the bids were around $6,000.

Search Ebay for "Sheep Hunt".

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
San Carlos Apaches had 1 tag @ $75000 for a Desert Big Horn Sheep & $ 2 tags @ $45000 each for Rocky Mtn Big Horn Sheep. http://www.sancarlosrecreationandwildlife.com/huntingsched05-06.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
I just found an add on ebay that may be of interest to someone. It seems that an Indian Reservation in Nevada/Oregon is selling 2 bighorn sheep hunts on EBAY. The place has never been hunted before, (or so says the add).

Anyway, since I don't have the $10,000+ laying around, I thought I'd pass this along. I would research it, but it would be a great deal if true. As of last night the bids were around $6,000.

Search Ebay for "Sheep Hunt".
This is a bargain compared to the San Carlos Apache fee of $75000 for a desert big horn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you kidding me? ONLY 75K! I think I'll see if they won't sell me two!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought it was a good deal (or could be with a little research). $10,000 or so for a desert bighorn is a drop in the bucket compared to what they really cost ($50,000+). That is cheaper than any other of the 4 in the slam. If I had $10,000 then I would be on the phone with the guy, even flying to Reno and driving up to the Reservation.

I just thought that one of our fellow AR members could float the cash for such a hunt.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MC:
I thought it was a good deal (or could be with a little research). $10,000 or so for a desert bighorn is a drop in the bucket compared to what they really cost ($50,000+). That is cheaper than any other of the 4 in the slam. If I had $10,000 then I would be on the phone with the guy, even flying to Reno and driving up to the Reservation.

I just thought that one of our fellow AR members could float the cash for such a hunt.

hijack

but I gotta ask, after reading about some hunter or other, in his resume' was the fact that he'd completed the grand slam TWICE... and was working on doing it a third time,
Now I ask, is that gluttony? or reasonable sport hunting?

Does anyone agree with me that doing the grand slam more than once makes guys who will NEVER be able to afford think you are an asshole?

I can respect someone who's managed to do it once, even envy their ability, envy their luck and envy even more the fact that they can afford to do it, but what I feel about someone doing it more than once... Quite the opposite, infact I hope there is a special place in hell for those guys who think once isn't enough, because those are the pricks that simply drive the price further beyond any hope of doing it myself...

Anyone else feel the same way?
Anyone who's done the grand slam more than once and feel like defending themselves?

That being said, yeah, $10 grand is an unbelievable bargain, but still five times what I could afford....

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guys doing the grand slams. Bring in more money for GF departments then 1000's of other hunters combined. There's a guy named flethcher,who owned at one time ,an industrial tire company called cobra tire. He paid arizona 209 grand for a desert big horn tag. All funds went to habitat. This guy paid 50 grand a piece for two RM bighorn tags and never even hunted the tags. All money going to habitat.

As for ebay. I'd investigate this supposed sheep hunt real well. They're asking as much for this hunt,as they would the "cheaper" Rocky Mountain bighorn hunts,in montana and wyoming.

There's never any trouble finding a buyer for desert sheep.

Ebay had three pairs of new swarovski 15X slc's on the auction. All three pairs had a differant owners address.Yet all three had the same owners info. "I got them for my birthday and decided to go into photograhy instead.For 700 there yours." Each had this message,yet a differant email address for each. They wouldn't let you bid unless you send them an email for bid info. I contacted ebay and asked them about it. They responded that this bullshit happens all the time. And its just a ploy by people to get access to email accounts. Sounds alot like a 10 grand desert bighorn sheep. That is capable of easily bringing 10 times that amount routinely.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with a Nevada sheep biologist. He said there are very few sheep on tribal lands. His advice was to pass on this offer.

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sledder:
The guys doing the grand slams. Bring in more money for GF departments then 1000's of other hunters combined. There's a guy named flethcher,who owned at one time ,an industrial tire company called cobra tire. He paid arizona 209 grand for a desert big horn tag. All funds went to habitat. This guy paid 50 grand a piece for two RM bighorn tags and never even hunted the tags. All money going to habitat..

The problem is that if hunting become a sport for only the rich it will loose the broad base of support it has now. Just look at England and things like fox hunting.

BTW is all the money going to habitat? What percent of Arizonia is owned by the government? Does the government really need more?

Posts: 2393 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure at least $500 made its way to habitat. The rest was spent on vehicle fleet plans and administration.

You can thank the price of sheep hunting on over weight baby boomers,that have more money then brains and are willing to pay for over priced hunts. That coupled with greedy fucking outfitters only too willing to exploit the situation.

Sheep,goat and moose hunting in the western states has more demand then it has supply of animals. The result is always going to be the rich having more access. Especially since the states all like to auction portions of these tags for insane prices.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALLAN

What is the difference between the hunter who goes to Africa more then once or shots a white tail every year? Do you think that makes others
consider them to be assholes? If someone has a problem with what someone else is hunting it's
either sour grapes or a self image problem.
I say each should hunt what they like, that's why we are hunters. I am envious of those who hunt elephants, but I don't begrudge them their abalities to do so.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RM007:
ALLAN

What is the difference between the hunter who goes to Africa more then once or shots a white tail every year? Do you think that makes others
consider them to be assholes? If someone has a problem with what someone else is hunting it's
either sour grapes or a self image problem.
I say each should hunt what they like, that's why we are hunters. I am envious of those who hunt elephants, but I don't begrudge them their abalities to do so.

While I don't necessarily agree with Allen there is a difference. Sheep permits are very hard to get. Many places anyone can buy Whitetail tags, there's unlimited number of tags for sale. Similar situation with much of the african hunting.

Personally I have no problem someone hunting sheep every year. My concern is the effect wildlife departments greed has on hunting in the long run.

Posts: 2393 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OhioSam
Most Game and Fish Deptments only make 1 or 2 tags available each year for auction or raffle.
All the rest of the tags in the lower 48 are lottery draw. Someone who wants to take more than one Slam of sheep can hunt Canada and Alaska for every thing except Desert sheep,
just like anyone else.
To get the Desert you have to win one of the state draws or have the wallet to buy special tags, Mexico or Hualapai Indian Reservation.
The big money that special tags bring goes back to management of habitat, transplants, water holes and excetra. I hope the special tags double in price because with the increase of populations money brings about, I might get lucky and draw a premit myself.
I still say that to cast stones or complain about
any other hunter for what he leagly hunts because he can afford it, is sour grapes.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention in my previous post that according to the game biologist these are NOT Desert Bighorn.

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sheep hunting has gotten beyond the average mans price range for sure, however, that does not make the ones that can afford multiple hunts evil. As a member of the Eastern Chapter of FNAWS since it started about 15 yrs. ago I can attest to how much the price of a sheep hunt has risen. No, I have never hunted them even though I desire to do so but lack the funds. I have been around the wealthier crowd, which has also been growing among sheep hunter circles, and most are very generous with their donations at auctions. Many times they bid the prices way past what they can get the hunt for in the open market because they want the money to go to the programs that promote more sheep on the mountains as well as other programs. One of the Eastern Chapter founding members, Stan Boots has at least 4 Grand Slams of NA sheep and several World Slams and has hunted other species througout the world. Stan and many others have done a lot for conservation with their cash, including growing the chapter to over 1000 members. Does all of this cause prices to rise with demand? Absolutely, but this is a good thing in the long run. Am I ticked off because of the rising prices? No, even though I know it gets farther away from my ability to afford one it is best for everyone that hunts any specie of game since the money gets spread so widely. Last but not least, the sheep hunters I know are hard working individuals, mostly businessmen, that appreciate the game they hunt and are hardly overweight or babyboomer slobs that just want to throw their wealth around. Hey, we all had the same opportunities to be wealthy, but we chose a different path. I could have been a Dr. or businessman, but chose to be a mechanic instead. No sour grapes here.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having talked to about 8 differant sheep outfitters in the last month. Each one of them has told me the single limiting factor in them getting a client a ram. Is the piss poor physical shape that their baby boomer clients are in. And this age group are the ones they guide the majority of the time. On top of this,many clients simply want to shoot the first thing they see so they can go home.

Most outfitters have a hard time keeping these lazy fuckers motivated past three days of a 10 day hunt. Their only redeeming characteristic,is their willingness to pay more and more for a sheep hunt.Plus 6500 to 8500 is a great wage for 3 to 4 days of baby sitting.

Not that it really matters,but fletcher mentioned above inherrited his wealth and has since then pissed away the company. Two locals who have grand slams are full blown trust fund babies. Call me crazy but I'm seeing a trend here.