New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite hunting items?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got to thinking, (which is rare for me), that it might be interesting to hear what we all consider to be the 2 favorite, or most useful items that we take into the hunting fields.
For myself it would be my 8x42 Swarovski binoc's, and an older pair of Filson, oil skin pants.
I can think of lot's, but those come to mind before all else; rifle's not included.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me it's an old Brookwood Pack, inexpensive simple and made of 'saddle cloth' but carries all the stuff I want and need, and it's washable. I've had it a long time, I'm thinking of getting Kathy Kelly to build a clone of it before it dies.....getting my pack out and making sure it has what I want in it before I go hunting just sets the mood, I like just seeing it sometimes...

Second thing would be my Leica ranging binoculars, they are simply awesome.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
camera

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Fannypack. It contains ammo, knife, tags, etc. so I never have to think twice when I go out, just grab the rifle and pack and everything is with me.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a pair of older Bushnell Binocs that always go with me. They no longer make them any more. They are part of their now discontinued "GlassesOn" series. They work great with my glasses and still have crystal clear lenses after all these years.

The second item would be my fanny pack. It has all the essentials in it.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
windstopper and butt wiper

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
windstopper and butt wiper

AMEN!!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newer fleece cothing,GPS

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dogs

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Binos and Copenhagen. I can get by without most other stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ahhh windstopper and copenhagen,no,
copenhagena and butt wiper,no
butt wipe and....hey that a hard choice
copenhagen has to be in there somewhere

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Real Cuban Cohibas and TP.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1. DEET - Greatest thing to help sit still while Hunting ever devised.
2. Full Camo Face Mask - The arrow flingers got this correct. It really helps hide a person.
3. Poncho - Real nice in the rain and it totally breaks up the human form when sneaking around. You can walk right past Deer if you keep your steps short and the wind is coming from them.

Interesting topic.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

1- My Zeiss Victory FL 10x42.
2- My Assolo mountain boots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
1. Swarovski 10x42's
2. Fleece watchcap (if it's cold)
I almost listed surefire e2e lite as number 2 but I hardly ever use a lite but when I do have to it sure is nice.

Posts: 144 | Location: sw Michigan | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
ahhh windstopper and copenhagen,no,
copenhagena and butt wiper,no
butt wipe and....hey that a hard choice
copenhagen has to be in there somewhere

+1

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I probably have a couple favorite rifles but the one thing I don't ever leave home without is my daypack.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Chapstick and twist ties

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12604 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alice pack and Leupold pocket binos.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8x42 Leica

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tin foil and blue tarps.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
2 favorite, or most useful items that we take into the hunting fields

1. Rifle
2. Ammo

All kidding aside, a spare pair of socks sure is nice when it's raining or snowing ... nothing like a dry pair of socks. I always have a spare pair in my hunting bag. And I'll second the camera, pictures last a lot longer than the hunt.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
1. Leica 8X42 binocs
2. Tigersharp knife (fixed blade)

I can't believe no one mentioned their knife? You gents like to drag them out whole? Or do you just gut 'em with your teeth?

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenati:
1. Leica 8X42 binocs
2. Tigersharp knife (fixed blade)

I can't believe no one mentioned their knife? You gents like to drag them out whole? Or do you just gut 'em with your teeth?

He only asked for our 2 favorite or 'most useful' but I always have a knife or 3 in my pack that I like!!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:
Binos and Copenhagen. I can get by without most other stuff.

I hear you there but the question is long cut or snuff?

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
Other than the standard items I like:
Multiple knives
Beef Jerky (the more the better)

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i also overlooked the obvious items
gun or bow
ammo or arrows
binos and spotting scope
a knife and copenhagen is part of my everyday gear.
my dad one time gave me grief about gutting game with a pocket knife,said i needed to buy a good "hunting" knife.
didn't tell him i'd forgotten mine.
years later on a late cow hunt for him, we walked up on a cow he had downed and he pulls
out his pocket knife and says
guess i'll try your way.
i never said a word

One of Us
posted Hide Post
swiss army knife and duct tape Wink

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
Theres too many!

Swarovski 8.5 X 42 EL's
Stoney Point Shooting Sticks

These go every time!

Then Leica 1200 CRF
More than one knife
Bunsaver Cushion
Call (Predator or turkey, etc)
Para Cord
Try to forget the Cell Phone!

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1371 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compass and fixed blade knife.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Ziess Victory 10X42 Binocs and Outdoor Edge Swingblade knife. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sony MP3 player

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
My 8x30 Steiner predator pros, and my daypack (which holds the rest except my rifle).

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
a knife and copenhagen is part of my everyday gear.

Fair point, as my binos and copenhagen are always at least in my pickup.

So I guess I would have to say my walking/shooting stick and my Danner hunting boots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sevenxbjt
sounds like we would "get along" ole'man
hence the windstopper(wyoming)
and the butt wiper,since i've grown hair on my ass pinecones just don't cut it anymore rotflmo

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
If I had to replace my hunting stuff, my first purchase would be another pair of Swarovski binocs. Other than that, I'd say a quality fanny pack and a hat would have me about ready to walk out the door.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.My Gransfors Bruks Jagarens Yxa (Hunters Axe).
The rounded flay poll makes skinning easy.
.A package of baby ass wipes along with sufficent T.P.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote