New
Find
Notify
Tools

States with sheep hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After getting back from my first sheep hunt, click here for report, I am ready to go again. I am totally hooked. It is my favorite type of hunting, I am dying to go again. Is there a summary out there of states with sheep hunting and what the process is for applying for the lottery?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not aware of any summeries, but there are some application services, I think Cabelas has one. They might have some stats. But I think you have to pay to use them.

Just about every state west of the Missouri river has some form of sheep season. For one or two species in some. All are slim and none in odds though. Unless you can buy a govenors tag. You can almost tie up the cost of a dall sheep hunt just in applications and fees when applying in every state. Which by applying in every state that has sheep hunts, is your only chance to get some odds in your favor to draw.

Great hunt report by the way!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I think if you apply to the Hunting Fool, they have a summary on every state for the draw process. You might also try Eastmans hunting magazine, they usually have a little summary for the draw process.

If you like sheep hunting I'm sure you'd like goat hunting as well. Better draw odds and much cheaper hunts to be had.

BTW, that was an excellent hunt report! Loved all the pictures you have a keen eye.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there a summary out there of states with sheep hunting and what the process is for applying for the lottery?

CA, AZ, ID, OR, MT, WA, WY, CO & NM all have hunts for sheep. Go to each states DFG website and you'll find all you need, except for the cash to outlay on the permit applications. Big Grin

And most, if not all, of those states have sealed bid auctions for sheep tags. A bid of around $100,000 should get you a desert sheep tag. Maybe.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can always join FNAWS(Foundation for North American Wild Sheep and they have a chapter for your region(North East) based in Pa(not far from me) that I used to be a member of from its beginnings and its a very good chapter with MANY knowledgeable members. One of them is Stanley Boots from your neck of the woods...I think Connecticut, who has at least 4 Grand Slams among other sheep he has taken throughout the world. A great guy. He owns Merritt Seed Company I believe. Nice daughter too. I recommend joining and going to their fund raising banquet and/or other outings and get to know some great sheep hunters in person. There are many with multiple grand slams and world slams. Great people...its just that I could never afford this type hunting so eventually stopped going, as it does get depressing at times. many of these people, although some of the nicest I have ever met, are also wealthy(and deservedly so). Some day I will get a sheep hunt in, even though the cost is quickly outstripping my ability to pay...but it will probably be the last thing I do(spend my retirement money).

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
There are a few sheep tags available in Texas, but they are astronomical in price, if you can get one.

Most or all go to friends and aquaintences of the land owners that get them. The herd of Desert Bighorns in Texas is growing, but with the way hunting is done here, getting ahold of one of those tags will be a pretty good ordeal in and of its self.

A cheap way out, although they are not a native species, are the hunts in the Trans-Pecos and a little farther south and west, for Free Range Aoudads.

There are some good sized herds of them roaming the Mountain country of far west Texas, and on some places if you see a Mountain Lion you can pop it for free.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Skinner you also have to remember that sheep hunts are available in Alberta, British Columbia, the North West Territory, and the Yukon.

Most of continental Europe has mouflon sheep, and Spain also has Aoudad.

Their are other types of mouflon moving east into Turkey like the Konya, and then you get into Urial areas of Asia. I think there are about 4 species of Urial up for hunting, including Trans-Caspian, Blanford, Afghan, and the other one is escaping my brain.

Then you get into Argali areas of Asia, and High Altai argali are the biggest, followed by Gobi, Hangai in Mongolia.

The Tajiks, and Kirghiz have Marco Polo Argali, and the Kazks have one or two species as well as the Chinese who have about 5 species of Argali.

In Russia we have 4 species of Russian Bighorns.

So hunting sheep is a world wide event!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CA has Big Horn Sheep as does AZ.The San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation in San Carlos,AZ has a single Desert Big Horn Sheep tag for $75,000 and 2 Rocky Mtn Big Horn Sheep tags @ $45,000 apiece.