New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Super Big Game Master
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up one of these at Scheel's this weekend and I almost didn't let it go. That gun felt soooooo nice. I REALLY like the 257 Weatherby(26" barrel) but the drawbacks are 6 3/4 lbs. and 3+1 in the chamber vs. a standard caliber like the 25-06, 270, 280, or 30-06 which are 5 3/4 lbs. and hold 5+1 in the chamber. What a quandry!

Is it sac-religious to buy a Weatherby rifle in a standard caliber??? It kinda seems like that to me. Plus, the 257 Weatherby is death incarnate to deer. Who would need the extra 2 rounds anyway? The extra pound would help with recoil too.

Would I be silly to give up 2 rounds and add a pound, just to get the 257 Wby? A 25-06 would be cheaper to shoot and very close ballistically. Plus, it would also be a dream to carry. Maybe the 270, 280, or 30-06 would be best? Better on larger game, lighter, and 5+1 rounds.

What do you think??? Also, I'd love to hear some field and bench reports on this gun if possible.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Nebraska "What do you think??? "

Get them all,problem solved. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
No, it isn't wrong to go standard...the 25-06 means death to deer just as much as a .257 Wea does. As for the rifle, very nice indeed but I hope they fixed the firing spring problem they have had in the past. My excitement deminished very quickly after the first time my Weatherby UL went "click" instead of "kaboom". I know we aren't talking about the same rifle but the action is the same.

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I know it's not the exact same rifle, but a friend of mine has a Ultra Lightweight in 25-06 Rem. It has a real short throat, unlike WBY rifles in magnum calibers. This led to some bullet seating problems. I don't know why they have the magazine longer than the throat will allow, seems stupid to me. The accuracy is no hell either, 5 shot groups of about 1.75-2" is the norm, not great for a $1650 canadian rifle.

Maybe he just got a lemon.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
"Confucious" say,"one who buys a Weatherby Rifle,may in fact own a Howa,in wolf's clothing"
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a weatherby in 257wby mag and my assessment is that I loved the caliber but the rifle wasn't worth the pricetag.My 700's shot as well or better at a much lower price.As far as choice of caliber If you can't get the job done with three shots you need to improve your shooting not a bigger magazine.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stubblejumper is right,

Please tell me guys if any of you ever had the opportunity, in a hunting situation, to empty a 5 rounds magazine? 3 shots are plenty enough!

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by King Baboon:
Stubblejumper is right,

Please tell me guys if any of you ever had the opportunity, in a hunting situation, to empty a 5 rounds magazine? 3 shots are plenty enough!

I don't want to admit it but I emptied a 3 round (7mm rem.) magazine. This was the only time I didn't bring extra rounds which I'd never needed and figured if "I can't do it in 3 rounds I shouldn't be out here."

I was hunting an area that had the largest buck on the property which had only been seen by the property owner but we'd hunted for 2 years. I saw the buck chasing a doe and shot twice from the tree stand while it was running. The buck stopped and the third shot hit him in the spine which brought it down. I waited from my stand until I realized that it was hit in the spine. I had to walk through the woods to find my buddy to have him finish off the deer (which took two more shots).

I'm going big game hunting this year for the first time since then (11 years) and I'll be carrying more than 3 rounds!

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Ultralight in 257 Wby & 7-08. Both rifles shoot very well and with handloads I can easily keep groups at 1/2 inch off a bench at 100yds. The 257 is a 25/06 on steroids. I have had no problems with feeding,fireing pins ect. In addition to the above I have a SPM in 22-250 that I call "Mikey" because it will shoot everything I load for it well.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote