Notify
Tools

My Black Bear Rug! (pictures)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
Gents,

Well, thanks strictly to my procrastinating nature, I just received my bear rug back. This was the one I shot last Spring. It was taken in S.E. Alaska and was seven foot with a 20 13/16ths skull (green.)

Here's some pictures...

-

-

-

A couple with my wild-haired 5 year old posing...
 -

-

It turned out great! The taxidermist was non-other than Tammy S. the wife of one our very own members here, Joel S (or lilbigun). She worked with me and my wife, while we picked out the backing colors and whether or not the mouth would be closed, open, or snarled. We chose open with no snarl. She did a great job, and I plan on sending any future bears I shoot up to her. The pictures just don't do it justice.

Maybe next Monday, if I get around to it, I'll send JJHack the skull... [Wink]

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Bruz>
posted
Nice, very nice...cute kid too! [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like it!! Been hunting bear for a couple years here in montana no luck yet, my wife thinks a bear rug would be nice and after looking at yours i think so also. I realize my bear won't be that size though.

Posts: 83 | Location: butte, montana | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BW

That is awesome. Very nice rug.

Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice bear!

Posts: 19558 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
Nice Bear,Cute Kid!!!
Looks like a quaility job too.
Black Bear is next on my at home (WV) list.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice!!!!! Congrats!

Posts: 117 | Location: Newark, Oh, USA | Registered: 14 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
Great Looking Animal!!!

I'm trying to imagine how mine is going to look...and where I'm gonna put it. But......I think I need to go shoot one first, right? [Roll Eyes]

I have a bear hunt scheduled for this May in B.C.

[ 02-15-2003, 00:47: Message edited by: TXPO ]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool !
I've got one at the taxidermist myself.

Not near as big as yours, but never the less, I can't wait to get it home.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Nice bear thanks for sharing. [Smile]

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice.

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BW,

Great trophy and a beautiful child. You're a lucky man. [Smile]

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks!

It was certainly a bonus, that the bear turned out so large. Not a record, but the skull would have made the annual B&C book, or so I'm told, as I never bothered to enter it.

The only problem is going to be trying to top it. [Smile] Bears are so darn tough to judge in the field (and I had a lot of help from a local expert), that it's going to take a lot of looking before I take another one.

Next up, is brown bear. I passed up several last year, and need to get serious about finding a good one of those.

Once again, I'd like to thank Tam S., the taxidermist who did the rug, for the great job. If anyone would like her address (she's in Anchorage) just let me know.

On a side note, I think the next black bear may have a closed mouth. Not that we don't like the open mouth, but I think it would be a good idea to have them different.

Here's a picture, of the raw product...
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two things, Dubya... First, to you, a very nice trophy you got there, my friend! Second, to Joel's wife, it's my understanding bears don't snarl. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
BW,

What a bute!!!

Bob [Cool]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BW,
Was wondering if we'd see the "Taylor Bear" decked out in it's tux sometime!
Nice job and nice going! Great trophy! [Cool]
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BW,

This is your friend from our trip two years ago trolling for blackies. Came back with a great experience and good friends. That is one great looking bear. Your daughter is so big from the last time I saw her walking on your counter tops. BTW, did you get my email I sent a week or two back?

-tlfw

Posts: 57 | Location: Houston Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: 15 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
tlfw,

I know you! [Smile]

Yes, I got it, but was hoping that if I ignored it, you'd change your mind. [Smile]

Sending an e-mail back now...

one of us
posted Hide Post
BW,

That's fuuny! Man O' Man do I want to be there with ya. I think about ways to make it every day. Nothing working so far. But I'm really working on it.

-tlfw

Posts: 57 | Location: Houston Texas, U.S.A. | Registered: 15 August 2001Reply With Quote