THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Cold weather camping with a tent?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cold weather camping with a tent?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Another item I take, if it is REAL cold, is an old water bottle, the bladder kind, for back aches. I fill it with boiling water at bed time and toss it in the sleeping bag. It is like a little heater.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the great advice so far! Sorry if I mislead anyone with 20~F, looking back at my post I can see how that could easily be mistaken for -20.

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Just a slightly different perspective on sleeping bags..If weight and bulk are not an issue,(ie your not hiking carrying your kit) you don't need to buy one of those real expensive sleeping bags especially if you only intend to use it once or twice a year.

I assume you have an "ordinary" 2/3 season sleeping bag which is rated to just above freezing? If so, simply buy another bag and use it as an outer. Make sure its one of those rectangle shaped bags so your's fits inside...Cabela's have plenty rated a few degrees below freezing for about $80 to $100. By using two bags, you have more flexibity to deal with varying weather conditions.

Another tip is to boil up some water before you turn in and put it in a stainless steel flask inside your sleeping bag...You then have hot water ready to make a brew as soon as you wake in the morning..

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote