New
Find
Notify
Tools

2002 BC Elk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anybody provide me with outfitter info? Four of us are interested in a BC Rocky Mt. Elk hunt next fall. Would like 360 B&C Bulls. (yeah, I know who wouldn't!)
Thanks,
Leif Wold

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Hi Leif,

The hard cold truth of the matter is that there isn't any outfitter in BC that could guarantee you a 340 class bull, let alone a 360 bull. And especially not four of them!

If that is what you have your heart set on, I would suggest trying New Mexico instead.

If, however, you want a quality hunting experience in some of the most beautiful terrain on God's Green Earth, and would be happy with the opportunity for a 300 to 330 bull (and a small chance for something bigger), there are many reputable outfitters I could suggest.

To narrow down the search, you may want to decide what kind of hunting experience you are looking for. Horseback? Combo with goat or moose, or caribou, or sheep? Southern Rockies, Northern Rockies, steep ground, flat ground? Tent camps, cabins?

The West Kootenay's have the biggest bulls, but practically 0 permits (for residents or non-). The East Kootenay's are very good all around, but the bulls aren't quite as big, and there are some areas where the populations have not fully recovered from the winter of '97. The Northern Rockies have the highest population densities, and the most remote terrain (if want to see elk and no people), which is also a little gentler than the Kootenays, but the bulls are the smallest on average (they have taken a few dandies in the last few years).

I highly recommend the following site to start your info gathering...

http://www.goabc.org

Do a search on "elk" from this site, and you can get addresses for over 30 of the most reputable outfitters in BC.

Hope this helps,

Canuck

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 11-20-2001).]

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<NM Kid>
posted
Contact the Jicarillia Apache Reservation in Dulce New Mexico. I would guess they can get you what you need. I hope you have very deep pockets though. This will go for at least 6500 bucks per tag. This natives can put you on huge animals guranteed.

There is also a few guides down in Southern NM who can get in some big bulls on the Gila or in the Quemado area. Once again have your cash ready.

Chad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. I guess I fell victim to the ads in SCI and so on. The truth of the matter is my friends and I are 0 for 3 hunting public land in Colorado. We are due for a quality hunt and I suggested we try BC.
We are horsemen ourselves and we are accustomed to packing and hunting as far as necessary to get away from the crowds. 4 thousand bucks is about as much I could spend.
LW

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Guy>
posted
Leif - Have you tried applying for a bull tag in some of our quality units here in Colorado? I know some large bulls are hanging out in these areas, especially if you have horses.

<Pistolero in NM>
posted
Actually the Mescalero Reservation in Southern NM has better bulls than the Jic(very few actual 350 type bulls) but will cost about 10,000.As far as Outfitters look into Ross Johnson or Mick Chappel