New
Find
Notify
Tools

moose & grizzly in the states
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I wondering if there is one particular state in the US or Canada where you find the biggest moose and grizzlys, maybe with the plus of wolves too.
Thanks.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
Alaska.......there is no other [Big Grin]

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
can you tell me what the prices are like there, as well as seasons and much notice i'd have to give an outfitter to book a hunt?
Thanks again.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a combo hunt I belive Aug into Oct. the prices I have seen around 15000 us is a good avg. A year to a year and half. for booking time some time longer with the real best known guides.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
British Columbia, Alberta, and NWTerritories offer good moose, though not quite the size of those in Alaska and the Yukon.

I think that B.C. has lifted their moratorium on grizzlies? Some of our Canadian friends can chime in here and tell me if I'm correct.

Alberta has a pretty good grizzly population, but tags are somewhat scarce. Their blacks are abundant (as with B.C.) Wolves numerous in the north.

Yukon and NWT are more expensive, but probably not as expensive as Alaska.

For the most economical hunt, I'd look at northern Alberta and settle for a good black bear, with the chance of at least seeing a griz.

For the highest quality hunt, well, that depends on the outfitter and the area he hunts.

Remember, however, there's no comparison between the coastal grizzlies (often called Browns or Kodiaks) and the inland variety. Probably twice the size, on average.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Non residents can not hunt grizzly in alberta.Residents must apply for several years in order to draw a tag.Yukon and northern B.C. have some very fine moose and grizzly hunting.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Express,

For a grizzly-moose combo I would look at Alaska or the Yukon. My second choice would be B.C.

The NWT does not alow grizzly hunting that I am aware of.

I feel that a good interior grizzly will sguare 7 to 8 feet. If you want a larger bear than that then you need to hunt the coastal type.

One thing I can say about the Yukon is that it gets very little hunting pressure.

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote